Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dave Matthews Band

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Dave Matthews Band

Dave Matthews Band makes their annual stop in Cincy on Wednesday at Riverbend.

Myself and a couple friends made the drive to Indianapolis last night to see them and the show was absolutely unbelievable. It was a great setlist (One Sweet World, Song that Jane Likes, #41, Crush and Two Step all played) and the weather was just perfect.

I know there are a few RZers who are fans -- anyone going to the concert?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Re: The Dave Matthews Band

Unfortunately after doing 5 concerts of theirs in the past 3 years I won't make it to any this year. Which is a shame considering the emergence of a few new songs (#27, Cornbread even though I'm not really a fan of that one), the band joining in on some Dave solos not to mention the fact there are Dave solos being played mid set outside of Sister, and the reemergence of Sweet Up and Down.

Looks to be a good tour this year.

Oh well. Hope you have a good time though Caveat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Dave Matthews Band makes their annual stop in Cincy on Wednesday at Riverbend.

Myself and a couple friends made the drive to Indianapolis last night to see them and the show was absolutely unbelievable. It was a great setlist (One Sweet World, Song that Jane Likes, #41, Crush and Two Step all played) and the weather was just perfect.

I know there are a few RZers who are fans -- anyone going to the concert?
    I used to go to once or twice a year, but I haven't been for a few years. How's Dave's voice been this year? I really think their live shows have suffered in recent years because of how far down hill his voice has gone. He can't hit the high notes in Ants Marching or #41 just to name a couple. I can't believe he won't quit smoking. (maybe he has recently I don't know)

I will say that I got the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds "Live @ Radio City Music Hall" yesterday and his voice was surprisingly better than I expected. Maybe it's gotten better and maybe I'll start going to shows again.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I used to go to once or twice a year, but I haven't been for a few years. How's Dave's voice been this year? I really think their live shows have suffered in recent years because of how far down hill his voice has gone. He can't hit the high notes in Ants Marching or #41 just to name a couple. I can't believe he won't quit smoking. (maybe he has recently I don't know)

I will say that I got the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds "Live @ Radio City Music Hall" yesterday and his voice was surprisingly better than I expected. Maybe it's gotten better and maybe I'll start going to shows again.
    He quit smoking before the last Dave and Tim tour, really shows on some songs but the screaming that he does for some live full band songs cannot be helping his voice, i.e. American Baby Intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    How's Dave's voice been this year? I really think their live shows have suffered in recent years because of how far down hill his voice has gone. He can't hit the high notes in Ants Marching or #41 just to name a couple. I can't believe he won't quit smoking. (maybe he has recently I don't know)
    His voice is on right now. On Saturday night he hit every note in #41, probably the best I've heard him hit them in the past few years. As others said he supposedly quit smoking before the European tour and over in Europe when he was playing with Tim he was really hitting a lot of the high stuff. He even sang I'll Back You Up and Little Thing over there hitting the high notes.

Being on tour in the US again will probably be tough for him to continue the no smoking but time will tell. His voice sounded good early on last year and went downhill during the second half of the tour. But right now it really sounds good, probably the best I've heard him sound since 2003ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    His voice is on right now. On Saturday night he hit every note in #41, probably the best I've heard him hit them in the past few years. As others said he supposedly quit smoking before the European tour and over in Europe when he was playing with Tim he was really hitting a lot of the high stuff. He even sang I'll Back You Up and Little Thing over there hitting the high notes.

Being on tour in the US again will probably be tough for him to continue the no smoking but time will tell. His voice sounded good early on last year and went downhill during the second half of the tour. But right now it really sounds good, probably the best I've heard him sound since 2003ish.
    Well that's fantastic news. After listening to D&T @ RC a couple of times I did notice that his voice was better than I had remembered for the last couple of years.

Sounds like I'll have to start going to shows again.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Worth The Wait

I'm upset I won't be making a show this summer-- they don't really come close to me this year and the one weekend they do (Houston, Dallas) I have obligations (my best friend's wedding--ironically, in Dallas!)

The shows this summer have been A+ from everything I've read. I've downloaded quite a few of the performances, and I must say that I LOVE Cornbread. #27 is still growing on me. The setlitsts have been pretty cool, with only a few duds mixed in.

Dave's voice sounds good to me-- and I'm actually one of the people who PREFER his "screaming" to the falsetto stuff in Crash, Ants Marching, etc... but yes, I too wonder how long his voice can hold up if they keep playing American Baby Intro. I love it, but yikes!!

Jealous of those of you in the area who will be attending Wed. night.

I was going to start a topic on this last week but I forgot.

I went to Indianapolis this past weekend for the 2 shows at Deer Creek (#20 & #21 seeing DMB for me overall). We camped out at Dead Creek and had a fantastic time with awesome weather and meeting lots of great people. I was even a little cold on Friday night sleeping. As for the shows, night 1 was a pretty standard set but I really enjoyed the Seek Up opener (been waiting to hear this forever as an opener). Also I'm really digging the new songs (#27, Cornbread). I also finally got to see Sweet Up and Down live after its return and finally got to see Shotgun live. Shotgun was a new song last summer and it's followed me since teasing me all the time. Last summer I went to the show before it was played for the first time and I've heard it soundchecked at least 3 different times. Finally hearing that song (which I think has tons of potential) was awesome.

Night 2, as Caveat said, was absolutely incredible. Definitely one of the top 3-4 shows I've seen live. It started off pretty slow but from the debut of Eh Hee on it was mind numbing. Getting so many good jammed out songs like Bartender, Crush, Rapunzel, #41, and Two Step was amazing. #41 with Joe Lawlor (road crew member) might have been my favorite DMB concert moment I've ever been to. Joe tore that song up. Night 2 definitely had an old school feel to it and the crowd around where I was sitting was dancing and singing all night.

I'm not going to Cincinnati because I am planning on going to both the shows at Alpine next weekend. Having Deer Creek and Alpine a weekend apart was sort of strange since myself and a lot of others I know always try to go to both weekends. Seems like usually they are split up by at least a month or so. If they were split up with Cincinnati somewhere in between I'd be more tempted to hit up Riverbend but honestly with seeing 4 shows that close Riverbend probably won't be much different. Alpine is probably the mecca to see DMB on this side of the Gorge and Red Rocks with great crowds and great people. Really looking forward to it.

I'm also planning on going down to Atlanta with my sister for the benefit concert in Piedmont Park with the Allman Brothers on September 8th. That show is going to be crazy since it's all general admission and at least 50,000 people or so.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

That's really awesome Caseyfan! I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets to go to a Gorge show or Alpine Valley show. If I get the opportunity next year, I think I'm going to plan a mini-vacation around Alpine Valley with a couple of my fellow DMB-fan friends.

Saturday's show ranks probably as the #2 best DMB show I've been to live -- and the only reason it isn't #1 is because I saw Neil Young guest with them in Detroit, which was such an unbelievable shock and treat that I don't think it'll ever be topped. I've been to 7 DMB shows, and this was the first one that I got to hear "Crush" played live (I'd always just miss it by one night), which was the song that actually got me into DMB back when I was in high school. I think I looked like one of those old Beatles fans freaking out when I heard the bass line that starts the song.

I was at the Cincy show last year -- it was absolutely miserable with the heat and humidity. Plus, they had technical difficulties that delayed the show start by over 20 minutes, so they hit curfew at 11pm (which is a stupid thing, but thats another story) before they finished the setlist. I have this hunch that we're due for a great show this year -- historically the Riverbend shows have actually been really good in terms of song variety. I'd love to hear them bust out something really old school, like Minarets or The Deed is Done, but I'd definately be satisfied if I walked out of Riverbend with Grey Street or Sweet Up & Down.

I'd love some Watchtower, but I'm not gonna get greedy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That's really awesome Caseyfan! I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets to go to a Gorge show or Alpine Valley show. If I get the opportunity next year, I think I'm going to plan a mini-vacation around Alpine Valley with a couple of my fellow DMB-fan friends.

Saturday's show ranks probably as the #2 best DMB show I've been to live -- and the only reason it isn't #1 is because I saw Neil Young guest with them in Detroit, which was such an unbelievable shock and treat that I don't think it'll ever be topped. I've been to 7 DMB shows, and this was the first one that I got to hear "Crush" played live (I'd always just miss it by one night), which was the song that actually got me into DMB back when I was in high school. I think I looked like one of those old Beatles fans freaking out when I heard the bass line that starts the song.

I was at the Cincy show last year -- it was absolutely miserable with the heat and humidity. Plus, they had technical difficulties that delayed the show start by over 20 minutes, so they hit curfew at 11pm (which is a stupid thing, but thats another story) before they finished the setlist. I have this hunch that we're due for a great show this year -- historically the Riverbend shows have actually been really good in terms of song variety. I'd love to hear them bust out something really old school, like Minarets or The Deed is Done, but I'd definately be satisfied if I walked out of Riverbend with Grey Street or Sweet Up & Down.

I'd love some Watchtower, but I'm not gonna get greedy.
    Yeah, Cincy last year was terrible. I had 13th row tickets but I decided to take an internship in Arizona so I gave them to my sister. She was texting me the whole show making it sound like she was in the Arizona desert and I was in Ohio

Hopefully you'll get something like those 2003 and 2004 Riverbend shows...6/24/03 was my first show and probably the best setlist on paper I'll ever see including a run of:

Song That Jane Likes
    Seek Up
    Last Stop
    Dreaming Tree

Yeah, pure setlist wise that won't ever be topped for me. But Saturday's performance was one of my favorites. I'm trying not to get too greedy with Alpine this weekend.

And do Alpine if you get the chance. It is unbelievable. I camped next to a couple from Spokane, Washington this weekend where the Gorge is their home venue. They told me if given the choice to do the 3 Gorge shows or the 2 Alpine shows every summer they would go with Alpine. They said the atmosphere in the crowd and lots is much better. That's why they drive to Alpine every summer for the shows. Hopefully I can get out to the Gorge one of these years and make my own determination.

Worth The Wait

I'd love some Watchtower, but I'm not gonna get greedy
    Might get lucky-- they've been closing some shows with it on this tour.

I've missed them the last few years, but used to always go see them at The Gorge when I lived in WA state. Incredible environment. I'd love to see DMB again...and soon!

Dave is the new Jimmy Buffet. He has a very loyal crowd that will go and see him play over the next 20 years, and he doesn't need to release another song as long as he lives.

BTW, if you went to college from '93-'00, Dave was coming out of at least one Freshman Dorm window at all times.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    BTW, if you went to college from '93-'00, Dave was coming out of at least one Freshman Dorm window at all times.
    You can extend that up to at least 2004, I always heard it out of multiple rooms on my floor and other friends' floors.

The overall DMB fan base has grown greatly post Everyday in 2001. But more people are just casual fans as compared to the 1990's when there were a lot more hardcore fans. A lot of the hardcore fans from the 1990's are either growing up and having families or simply divorcing themselves from an artist whose style has changed greatly since 2001.

You would be shocked how many people were rocking out to Stand Up at the campground I stayed at in Indy this weekend. A lot of the "frat boy" type crowds at the campground were playing Stand Up and Everyday in heavy rotation. I just sort of thought that no one really liked Stand Up but I guess I was very wrong. I can't even remember hearing Under the Table or Crash being played once this weekend, but Stand Up was all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    You can extend that up to at least 2004, I always heard it out of multiple rooms on my floor and other friends' floors.

The overall DMB fan base has grown greatly post Everyday in 2001. But more people are just casual fans as compared to the 1990's when there were a lot more hardcore fans. A lot of the hardcore fans from the 1990's are either growing up and having families or simply divorcing themselves from an artist whose style has changed greatly since 2001.

You would be shocked how many people were rocking out to Stand Up at the campground I stayed at in Indy this weekend. A lot of the "frat boy" type crowds at the campground were playing Stand Up and Everyday in heavy rotation. I just sort of thought that no one really liked Stand Up but I guess I was very wrong. I can't even remember hearing Under the Table or Crash being played once this weekend, but Stand Up was all over.
    Yeah, but when Dave is playing Riverbend or Buckeye Lake in 20 years (with the exact same crowd that followed him during that '93-'00 period), he will play his old stuff. That's what the diehards will demand.

This has always been the image I've had in my head. In 2020, four female college friends will get together, leave their high school age kids at home, and head out to the Dave show to relive their college days at OU, or BGSU, or wherever. They will want to hear Crash, Satellite, Ants Marching, and Tripping Billies, and not really anything else.

Just a look into the future....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?