Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dave Matthews Band

Re: The Dave Matthews Band

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    You can extend that up to at least 2004, I always heard it out of multiple rooms on my floor and other friends' floors.

The overall DMB fan base has grown greatly post Everyday in 2001. But more people are just casual fans as compared to the 1990's when there were a lot more hardcore fans. A lot of the hardcore fans from the 1990's are either growing up and having families or simply divorcing themselves from an artist whose style has changed greatly since 2001.

You would be shocked how many people were rocking out to Stand Up at the campground I stayed at in Indy this weekend. A lot of the "frat boy" type crowds at the campground were playing Stand Up and Everyday in heavy rotation. I just sort of thought that no one really liked Stand Up but I guess I was very wrong. I can't even remember hearing Under the Table or Crash being played once this weekend, but Stand Up was all over.
    Yeah, but when Dave is playing Riverbend or Buckeye Lake in 20 years (with the exact same crowd that followed him during that '93-'00 period), he will play his old stuff. That's what the diehards will demand.

This has always been the image I've had in my head. In 2020, four female college friends will get together, leave their high school age kids at home, and head out to the Dave show to relive their college days at OU, or BGSU, or wherever. They will want to hear Crash, Satellite, Ants Marching, and Tripping Billies, and not really anything else.

Just a look into the future....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They will want to hear Crash, Satellite, Ants Marching, and Tripping Billies, and not really anything else.
    Then they'd all have been seriously disappointed with last night's set in Cleveland -- not a single song played from "Under the Table and Dreaming" or "Remember Two Things." Five songs from "Stand Up" and six new songs.

I imagine Riverbend will get a similar setlist tomorrow night, and I can't say I'm thrilled about that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If they're not playing their old music much any longer, then maybe I'm not so bummed I'll miss them this year...

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    If they're not playing their old music much any longer, then maybe I'm not so bummed I'll miss them this year...
    Last night they weren't, for some reason.

Saturday night in Indy, though, was quite a throwback set. In fact, other than the new songs (Cornbread, Eh Hee, Idea of You), virtually every other song was from an pre-2000 release:

Song That Jane Likes
    One Sweet World
    Ants Marching
    What Would You Say
    Jimi Thing
    Crash Into Me
    Two Step
    Panta >> Rapunzel
    Crush

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Basically to see their old stuff you have to go to the 2 night stand shows. It seems for the single nights they are playing all the unreleased songs (Shotgun, Eh Hee, Cornbread, Idea Of You, #27, Sweet Up & Down, Sister) in heavy rotation, along with the Stand Up stuff.

For the 2 night stands it seems like Night 1 they are playing all that stuff and night 2 busting out more of the older songs. I'd definitely only hit 2 night stands this summer if possible but who knows...seems like whenever the band plays a set like last night they follow it up with an amazing set. So it's looking good for Cincy.

Hey Caveat, saw you over on the Ants boards....over there I'm blsc1121. Didn't realize you had made your way over.

Alpine was awesome this weekend. Dreaming Tree opener N2 was crazy. Amazing shows and a lot of great people.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Hey Caveat, saw you over on the Ants boards....over there I'm blsc1121. Didn't realize you had made your way over.

Alpine was awesome this weekend. Dreaming Tree opener N2 was crazy. Amazing shows and a lot of great people.
    Yeah, I was on Nancies.org for a while, but migrated over to Ants due to it being a lot more active.

Everything I've heard about Alpine is making me kick myself for not driving up to see it. I was really close to just hopping in a car with a friend of mine and driving, worrying about tickets and hotel accomodations when I got there. Did you do both nights? I

I'm really digging the new song - "A Dream So Real." It has a sound that I've never heard from DMB before, and I think thats a really good sign of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yeah, I was on Nancies.org for a while, but migrated over to Ants due to it being a lot more active.

Everything I've heard about Alpine is making me kick myself for not driving up to see it. I was really close to just hopping in a car with a friend of mine and driving, worrying about tickets and hotel accomodations when I got there. Did you do both nights? I

I'm really digging the new song - "A Dream So Real." It has a sound that I've never heard from DMB before, and I think thats a really good sign of things.
    Alpine was unbelievable. I just don't think a typed paragraph can do that place justice. The band feeds off the crowd's energy and in turn the crowd feeds off the band's energy (if that even makes sense). I went to both nights this year and had a great time. Met up with a lot of the people from Ants as I had done in Chicago and had quite an adventure getting into the lots first getting routed to a park on "Hodunk Road" and then sitting outside in traffic for an hour or so. The lots were a sloppy mess so they opened late to lay down hay and gravel. When we finally got in we lost a lot of the Ants people but went over with some other friends from Chicago we found in the lots. They seem to be at about every show and always have a good time jamming in the lots playing music and grilling.

As for the concerts both were excellent. The sets were much more varied than the other shows this tour with new and old mixed in. Two Step opener N1 was a great way to get the energy going and the band kept feeding off it playing some of the new songs and mixing in a lot of classics like Bartender, Nancies, Warehouse, Song That Jane Likes, and #41 with crew member Joe Lawlor guesting. If anyone has heard the #41's from the last few years you'll probably be glad to know the Everyday outro was completely gone. It was an old school ending to the song which made me pretty happy.

N2 was again a great time. Another good tailgate in the lots, this time meeting some of the Ants people as well. Dreaming Tree was soundchecked so I expected it, just not as an opener. What an amazing way to start a show. Eh Hee N2 was amazing with the Roots guy doing a free style rap, sounds wierd but very cool. A lot of the Roots horns guested all night on and off just like N1 so it was nice to hear a beefed up sound from Roi and Rashawn's side of the stage. N2 might not have been as strong top to bottom as N1 but it had some extreme highlights like Dreaming Tree, Eh Hee, Ants played midset, Dream So Real, Jimi Thing (Roots guys were ), Shotgun, and Anyone Seen The Bridge into Too Much. It seems typical but many of the songs were some of the best performances I've ever seen. I'm sick of Jimi Thing but the solo's were amazing. Sweet Up and Down was one of the better versions I've heard and the new song was pretty cool. It was very mellow but the lyrics sound great. With a little more music structure it could definitely be a fan favorite.

Overall, had a great weekend. This weekend just made me remember why I fell in love with Alpine back in 2005 when I went for the first time. I couldn't go last summer living out west but every summer from now on I'm going to try and go no matter where I might be living.

Just looking forward to the Atlanta show with the Allman Brothers in a couple weeks and definitely excited to see the sets from the Gorge this weekend.

Worth The Wait

FWIW......I'm getting toasted on the setlist game over at Ants.......

I thought I would top this up with the announcement and soon to be release of another live album from DMB. Live at Piedmont Park is getting released on December 11 and will be the first full length concert DVD in 4 yrs (last one was Central Park).

Although I might be a bit biased having been front row at the show, I would say it was a heck of a show. Highlights included all the new songs such as Corn Bread, Eh Hee, #27 as well as Warren Haynes guesting on What Would You Say, and the band covering the Allman Brothers song Melissa with Gregg Allman alternating verses with Dave.

As I said, I was front row for this general admission show with 55,000+ behind me. Had a heck of a time with great friends all around me (about 10-15 of us all got in line at 6 am and were next to each at the show). The cover art for the CD and DVD was released today and features a crowd shot (which I am almost 100% sure I will be able to pick myself out in once I see a high res copy). It's a bit grainy but I am a little off center to the left and I'm pretty sure I'm the person in the white shirt (Reds jersey!) with my camera up. Here's the cover art:

I also know we had a few people on here catching concerts this summer. If anyone is interested, I have put all my summer tour pics I took on my shutterfly page: www.mattgrable.shutterfly.com

Alpine was unbelievable.
    I met my wife at a Dead show at Alpine 21 years ago.

Bumping back up to the top, DMB announced summer tour dates for the '08 season. Their annual Riverbend stop is on Tues, Aug. 5th.

They also announced that they're currently in studio working with Rob Cavallo, who's produced for Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Alanis Morisette and Jewel. Other big news is that Tim Reynolds is joining the band's studio sessions for the first time since "Before These Crowded Streets."

New album due and new tour. Should be a good year! I'm going to see if I can make 2 or 3 shows this summer. Maybe Riverbend, Indy, and either Alpine or Pittsburgh.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

What's even more interesting is that they aren't going to appear at Polaris, but rather Crew Stadium.

Riverbend is a must see this year for DMB fans. TR3, Tim Reynolds band, will be opening at Riverbend and Virginia Beach. Should be a great chance of him guesting at the Riverbend show.

I'm planning on hitting Alpine (my birthday), Riverbend, and the Gorge. Finally going to make the trip out to the Gorge this summer after saying I was going to do it the past few years. It should be an amazing weekend. Also might try to hit Louisville since it should be a fun show at the Bats stadium with Willie Nelson opening and I may do one of the Pittsburgh shows depending on my money situation and how my finals are looking.

Worth The Wait

DMB in OKC! Sweeet! Can't wait.

Turn Off Ads?