Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dave Matthews Band

Worth The Wait

Re: The Dave Matthews Band

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm over on weeklydavespeak.com -- haven't heard about the show being canceled.

I don't know how they could go through with it. I know I'd be a mess.
    It's the great thing about music-- it's all about emotion anyway. Once they get going, it could be a great show. However, I'm not sure any of the happier/more upbeat songs will work tonight at all. If they play, it will certainly be interesting. It could either be a disaster or it could be epic.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They opened with Bartender -- I don't know how there'll be a dry eye in the place when Roi's pennywhistle part at the end gets played.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Worth The Wait

I saw that too Caveat---are you getting the updates from the message board at weeklydavespeak?

Worth The Wait

Yeah, all the message boards are so slow right now. I'm just sitting on the WH live setlist update and I'm gonna pay attention for a few songs at least before I head to bed.

No idea how the guys can play on tonight. I was hoping they would just ask Jeff to sit one out and just shine a single spotlight on LeRoi's spot all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    No idea how the guys can play on tonight. I was hoping they would just ask Jeff to sit one out and just shine a single spotlight on LeRoi's spot all night.
    I think that'd be even harder for them to do...having to look over all night and see the empty spot on stage.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Worth The Wait

It's such a tough call on things like this. You have the obvious, tragic, human aspect of it all, but you also have the realistic and logistic aspect....people were already at the venue, hard to cancel a show that close to the start time. I am sure fans would have understood, but it's still a very tough call.

Then, look at it from the band's perspective. When news like this first hits, it is a shock and it's hard to digest. Would they rather be flying home on a plane all night thinking about it or playing on stage together? I can see it both ways.

But this is what they do. I am sure they are all going to take appropriate time off to attend services, grieve, etc... but tonight, who knows, maybe tonight is really the ultimate tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think that'd be even harder for them to do...having to look over all night and see the empty spot on stage.
    I just wonder about the next 3 weeks and what they will decide to do concerning the rest of the tour. Being completely selfish, I've been looking forward to next weekend at the Gorge since tour dates were announced back in March. It has been the single weekend that I've been pumped about for so long. I can understand if they don't play on but I'm hoping they will go on for the Gorge.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I just wonder about the next 3 weeks and what they will decide to do concerning the rest of the tour. Being completely selfish, I've been looking forward to next weekend at the Gorge since tour dates were announced back in March. It has been the single weekend that I've been pumped about for so long. I can understand if they don't play on but I'm hoping they will go on for the Gorge.
    There's nothing wrong with hoping they play. You are a DMB fan and you've been looking forward to seeing them for months. I'm a Redskins fan, and when Sean Taylor died last year, it seemed the times that the fans and the players felt the best was during the games when everyone (fans included) were "together." I would imagine at least a few dates will be shuffled in the coming week to accomodate services, but I bet they go on after that.

The bigger question from the band perspective is what will the future hold? How will this affect the new stuff they've been working on? How will this affect future tours? Once this tour ends and the emotion of this event subsides a bit, that's when I could see the band possibly not returning.

From one of the other boards.....apparently Boyd, Tim, and Jeff are all wearing sunglasses and the whole band was crying on stage during Bartender.

Talk about heart wrenching...could they have picked any song that would have been more emotional?

"Oh, and if I die
    Before my time,
    Oh, sweet sister of mine,
    Please don't regret me if I die.

Bartender, please,
    Fill my glass for me
    With the wine you gave Jesus
    That set him free after three days in the ground"

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    The bigger question from the band perspective is what will the future hold? How will this affect the new stuff they've been working on? How will this affect future tours? Once this tour ends and the emotion of this event subsides a bit, that's when I could see the band possibly not returning.
    You hate to even think about that, but I agree -- I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of the band for quite some time.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

A couple picture of LeRoi I took...just going back through some pictures:

Piedmont Park (we were front row in front of him and I got his setlist after the show):
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/...ffd1ee04_b.jpg

Post-Gazette Pavilion, 5/31/2008, last time I saw him with the band:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/...ed3e659517.jpg

Worth The Wait

I would really like to see them play You Never Know tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I would really like to see them play You Never Know tonight.
    "Out of the darkness comes light, like a flash..."

Yeah, that'd be about perfect for tonight.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Worth The Wait

"Everyday should be a good day to die...."

Turn Off Ads?