Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: Bengals Predictions

  1. #16
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,165

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    This team has no explosiveness at running back. Johnson is fine as your workman type running back, but he looks a step slower. Last year he didn't break any long runs, and he looks slower this year. This team will miss Kenny Irons, and even Chris Perry.

    No backup QB

    Limited Pass rush

    A bunch of "potential" at LB

    Another porous secondary

    A pair of bookend tackles in the infirmary

    I am not real high on their chances.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,173

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    I think this club is right around 10-6 give or take a game. I know its been the popular theme of this offseason to pick the bengals to be right in the middle of the pack and putting both Baltimore and Pittsburgh ahead of them but I just don't see that. The Defense will be better than last year. But I also see Baltimore as a team who has nothing on offense and a defense that continues to age. Pittsburgh will have a poor season this year because of the new head coach and Big Ben as QB. The defense also won't be as dominant as they have in the past.

    I am not too worried about the OLine. Apparently Levi is running and getting into playing shape but the biggest problem he will have is getting that knee in shape at his weight. He is trying to get into game condition and I would be willing to bet the bengals would rather have him sit the entire pre season then risk him to injury in a game that doesn't count. Levi is more important that Willie because Levi plays blindside. Willie is a great O lineman but missing him for a few games won't cripple this team like losing Levi for an extended period.

    Too much is made about the preseason. True it is disappointing to see the bengals not score td's and kick field goals but I would be even more disappointed to see them use a play that they intend on using in the regular season. I hate watching the defensive backs sit back 10 yards from scrimage but it is basic defensive formation and hopefully that will change when the season starts.

    Ahmed Brooks. It is disappointing to hear people harp about every time he is out of position on a play in the preseason. People have to realize that this is his first true season at MLB. He has that dreaded word "potential" and I think he will progress the entire season.

    Much is being made about missing Henry and how they will suffer through the first 8 games of the season. I look at it differently, how nice is it going to be to have both Henry and Perry giving the team a boost at around the middle of the season?

  4. #18
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,586

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    I also wouldn't make judgements about the secondary just yet. They're pretty banged up, and have oft times been using safties at corner.

    If they get Joseph, O'neill, The Rookie, and Ratliff all healthy at the same time, to go along with Williams and Jackson, that secondary will look much better. It's not quite the time to be judging them when we're seeing the likes of Harena Daze Jones logging substantial playing time.

    Levi will be back soon, but it looks like Willie might be done. That's a concern, but they've been lauding the efforts of the entire offensive line corps for their work in the offseason, so it's someone's time to step up, be it Kooistra (who I'm not sold on), or Andrew Whitworth (who I think is the best solution).

    Carson Palmer at 100% will be the big difference on offense, and I think Tab Perry will do just fine at #3 WR. I am worried about the running back situation, though.

    I think they've got the horses to go 11-5. Sure, there are questions, but this team was two freak plays away from being 10-6, with lots of things working against them last year.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  5. #19
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,545

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    I predict 9-7. This team is already suffering through injuries and as others have pointed out this team is not deep. There is no good backup QB, the running backs after Rudi are weak until Perry maybe comes back which would be week 7 at the earliest. I would not count on a lot of production from the #3 WR until Henry gets back the second half. Defensively this team still lacks a solid pash rusher. This team also needs a new defensive coordinator.

  6. #20
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,346

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    8-8

    The D is still a joke. I think it was a bad decision to go RB in round 2 with such a weak D.

    The front 7 has to be one of the worst in the NFL. Great job building that D, Marvin!

  7. #21
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    8-8 and only because of a decent schedule.

    Until Marvin stops drafting CB and RB in the first 2 rounds we are in deep trouble. Nothing in the NFL matters but the front 7 and everyone seems to know that but Marvin.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  8. #22
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,799

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    Wasn't Marvin Lewis supposed to be some sort of defensive guru when coming up through the coaching ranks? If that is true, it seems odd that these Bengal teams have such poor defenses. I know a coach needs the horses, but I still feel the Bengal D should be further along.

  9. #23
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    I see 10-6 barring no major injuries to Chad, TJ, Rudy, Carson, or more than 1 offensive lineman.

    I have no idea what to expect out of the defense. I think in some games they will hold their own, causing some turnovers. I think in other games they will be run over with frightening regularity.

    GL

  10. #24
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think this club is right around 10-6 give or take a game. I know its been the popular theme of this offseason to pick the bengals to be right in the middle of the pack and putting both Baltimore and Pittsburgh ahead of them but I just don't see that. The Defense will be better than last year. But I also see Baltimore as a team who has nothing on offense and a defense that continues to age. Pittsburgh will have a poor season this year because of the new head coach and Big Ben as QB. The defense also won't be as dominant as they have in the past.

    I am not too worried about the OLine. Apparently Levi is running and getting into playing shape but the biggest problem he will have is getting that knee in shape at his weight. He is trying to get into game condition and I would be willing to bet the bengals would rather have him sit the entire pre season then risk him to injury in a game that doesn't count. Levi is more important that Willie because Levi plays blindside. Willie is a great O lineman but missing him for a few games won't cripple this team like losing Levi for an extended period.

    Too much is made about the preseason. True it is disappointing to see the bengals not score td's and kick field goals but I would be even more disappointed to see them use a play that they intend on using in the regular season. I hate watching the defensive backs sit back 10 yards from scrimage but it is basic defensive formation and hopefully that will change when the season starts.

    Ahmed Brooks. It is disappointing to hear people harp about every time he is out of position on a play in the preseason. People have to realize that this is his first true season at MLB. He has that dreaded word "potential" and I think he will progress the entire season.

    Much is being made about missing Henry and how they will suffer through the first 8 games of the season. I look at it differently, how nice is it going to be to have both Henry and Perry giving the team a boost at around the middle of the season?
    Wille Anderson has been the cornerstone of that O-Line for many, many years. Not only is he the leader of that line, but he's a leader in the locker room, and losing him for any stretch hurts us, despite the fact that he's not protecting Carson's blind side. When Palmer was stripped of the ball in New Orleans, Scott Kooistra, Anderson's replacement, is the one that got beat, so it's a definite concern in my eyes. Levi should be back, but who knows how the knee will respond over time.

    This team had a patch work line last year and it sank us. The secondary is banged up, and Brooks at MLB isn't going to pay off immediately. The guy is hardly even tackling anyone, let alone making big plays. The D-Line isn't pitiful, but it's average at best, and it's not going to be enough to save this defense.

    It's conceivable that this team could make the playoffs, but are we good enough to beat a team with LT? A team with Peyton Manning? A team with Tom Brady? No, no, and no.

  11. #25
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    Until we bolster our front seven, the Bengals will always be just a "good" team.
    Witty signature.

  12. #26
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    I have no idea what to expect out of the defense. It could shock everyone and perform very well, or it could be more of the same from last season and disappoint with the lack of a pass rush.

    Offensively, the team will be able to light up the scoreboard, but the loss of Irons and Anderson could also hurt a bit. If the defense gets knocked around, some games may find the offense just trying to do everything it can to outscore the opposition in a shootout.

    I could realistically see this team going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. If they win more than 11 games, I'll be pleasantly shocked. If they win fewer than 8 games, I'll be flat disappointed.

    My official prediction: 9-7
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-21-2007 at 12:17 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  13. #27
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,466

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    For everyone saying there's no depth at running back, I really don't have a problem with Kenny Watson as the backup.

    The schedule is light years easier this year. Wheels you say they were two freak plays from being 10-6, but really they were pretty close to potentially being 11-5 (missed field goal at the end of regulation vs. Pittsburgh, the Denver extra point, and the ridiculous roughing the passer call at the end of the Tampa Bay game).

    The secondary could be pretty decent by the end of the year if Hall turns out to be decent.

    I see them going 11-5, just because of that schedule. The Bengals might possibly be the best team in the NFC if they were playing in that conference, and they're playing the worst division in that conference this year. I think they'll run the table on their out of conference games (although San Fran might be tough), win at least four games in division, and then they only have to win 1-3 of the New England, Kansas City, New York Jets, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami stretch to make the playoffs.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  14. #28
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,165

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    For everyone saying there's no depth at running back, I really don't have a problem with Kenny Watson as the backup.
    If Rudi Johnson goes down are you comfortable using Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson, and whatever is left of Chris Perry? Those guys can't carry the load. Teams could drop the safeties into pass protection and without Chris Henry, the Bengals don't make 8-8.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  15. #29
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,173

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If Rudi Johnson goes down are you comfortable using Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson, and whatever is left of Chris Perry? Those guys can't carry the load. Teams could drop the safeties into pass protection and without Chris Henry, the Bengals don't make 8-8.
    Running backs are a dime a dozen. Remember when Rudi came out of nowhere to take over the starting job. I hate to use fantasy but when big name RB's go down their backup seems to step in and have a decent season. If your name isn't LT, Alexander, or Larry Johnson I dont think that you are all that unreplaceable.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Bengals Predictions

    The way I see it this is essentially the same team that last year went 8-8 against a tougher schedule. I break down the positional improvement like this:

    QB: Same, maybe slight improvement
    RB: Same
    OL: Same, lot of turmoil last year and it appears this year will be the same
    WR: Same, losing Henry hurts but he was in and out, Tab Perry and hopefully Chatman should help overcome the loss
    TE: Same, not much depth but this has never been a strength

    So the offense is the same as last year

    DL: Unfortunately the same, another year of experience for Peko and Geathers may bring a slight improvement.
    LB: Same, young, inexperienced, with potential
    DB: Can't be worse, Jackson is healthy, if Joseph and Hall are as advertised this could be the one position that is an upgrade.

    Slighty better defense.

    Given an easier schedule and the basically the same team we should see at least a game improvement:
    BALTIMORE- L
    Cleveland- W
    Seattle- L
    NEW ENGLAND- L
    Kansas City- L
    NEW YORK JETS- W
    PITTSBURGH- W
    Buffalo- W
    Baltimore- L
    ARIZONA- W
    TENNESSE- W
    Pittsburgh- L
    SAINT LOUIS- W
    San Francisco- W
    CLEVELAND- W
    Miami- W

    I foresee a rough start and an easy finish (you've got to love those last four games). My prediction is 10-6.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25