Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Conine Traded to Mets

Jeff Conine Traded to Mets

The New York Mets are on the verge of acquiring utility player Jeff Conine from the Cincinnati Reds for two Class-A position players, according to Major League sources.

Conine will serve as a right-handed hitter off the bench, filling in at first base and possibly the outfield.

He will be a replacement for infielder Damion Easley, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday with a sprained left ankle, .

The Mets pursued Conine before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but he was not considered a top priority at the time.

Conine is batting .265 with six home runs and 32 RBIs in 80 games this season for the Reds.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7139452
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeff Conine Traded to Mets

repost

got alil captain in u?

that answers why cantu was called up. Conine did a servicable job against lefties read in articles where he's prolly not playing past this season.

Hopefully Keppinger gets the time at 1st vs. LHP when/if Gonzalez comes back.

For now, Cantu can have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Not the player I wanted to the Reds to go after this past year...however he is simply a quality vet even though in the twilight of his career...I fully expect him to have at least one big base knock in the playoffs for the Metropolitans....good luck Jeff.

He made some great plays at 1B the other night vs. the Cubbies.

I respect the guy, but he's not the guy you want batting behind Dunn.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CincinnatiKid

Good luck Jeff

If we get anything back could could potentially become a spare down the road, I'll be happy. That said, he has had a solid career, and I hope he does well for the Mets.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

No solid proof of the trade yet but I'll post this anyway: Can't say enough good things about Jeff Conine! It was an honor to have "Mr. Marlin" on our beloved Reds team! Good Luck in New York with the Mets, Jeff. I hope you have a great post-season run and cap off your fine MLB career with another ring!

Best Wishes,
    Vada Pinson Fan

The Reds got shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry in the deal. Both were playing for St. Lucie on the Florida State League. Both will report to Double-A Chattanooga. Castro, 20, was hitting .318 with two home runs and 25 RBI. Henry, 22, was hitting .293 with a 11 home runs and 57 RBI. Both are small -- Castro is 5-8, 160 pounds; Henry 5-10, 154 pounds.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    The Reds got shortstop Jose Castro and outfielder Sean Henry in the deal. Both were playing for St. Lucie on the Florida State League. Both will report to Double-A Chattanooga. Castro, 20, was hitting .318 with two home runs and 25 RBI. Henry, 22, was hitting .293 with a 11 home runs and 57 RBI. Both are small -- Castro is 5-8, 160 pounds; Henry 5-10, 154 pounds.
    I hope Jose Castro has no relation with Juan Castro.

Wow, we got more than I expected. This Henry looks to be a decent prospect. Both him and Castro are batting near or over .300.

Henry's stats

Castro's stats

I give Wayne a thumbs up on this deal.

Yea i think we got some decent guys back for Conine as well

According to this article, Henry is transitioning from ss to cf.

St. Lucie Mets' Henry finds success at leadoff
    ERIC PFAHLER
    eric.pfahler@scripps.com
    Monday, June 18, 2007

PORT ST. LUCIE — When St. Lucie Mets second baseman Emmanuel Garcia got hurt in late April, manager Frank Cacciatore opted to put outfielder Sean Henry in the leadoff spot.
    STORY TOOLS
    E-mail story
    Comments
    iPod friendly
    Printer friendly
    More Pro Baseball
    Devil Rays' Baldelli on rehab assignment with Vero team
    Florida State League: Devil Rays control Manatees
    Mets slam into 1st place
    Share and Enjoy [?]
    Six weeks later — even after Garcia has returned — that decision has stuck.

"It's fun," Henry said. "You get more at-bats than anybody on the team, so there's more chances of getting a hit than anybody else. I like those chances."

Henry also is seeing a lot more pitches since batting .231 in April, which has allowed him to be a more effective hitter. He has raised his average to .281 and maintained power — Henry has a team-high seven home runs — while staying patient at the plate.

"I've learned that you need to take pitches, take strikes, especially in a long inning or even just leading off," Henry said. "You've just got to learn how to take pitches to help your 2-3-4-5 (hitters), you know, down in the order to see some pitches."

Though Henry had batted as a leadoff hitter before, doing it day in and day out is a new trick. But Henry is hitting better out of the top spot.

"During the beginning of this season, I'd go up there and swing at the first pitch," Henry said. "Let's say if I got out or let's say if I got a hit, I'm not helping my teammates that much, so that's one thing that I've worked on."

Henry made an even bigger transition in the outfield. The 21-year old had split time as an infielder and an outfielder throughout his career, but the Florida State League has bigger stadiums and more ground to cover.

"Every field in this league is huge," Henry said. "That's one thing that's really different for me because I'm used to taking less than 10 steps back and I'm at the fence. Whereas here, I could take 15 steps back and I'm on the warning track."

I would've liked to see some Starting Pitching but I am surprised we got two decent looking prospects. I just wanted Conine traded.

Turn Off Ads?