Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Base and Left Field

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can he be stopped?

First Base and Left Field

I've noticed looking at the minor league stat sheets that Joey Votto is getting more and more time at LF for the Bats. I'm sure some of that is so Cantu had a place to play while he was down there, but I wonder if it has implications for next year as well.

It now looks like the plan all along was to have Cantu replace Conine as the right handed half of the 1B platoon/ first right hander off the bench. Krivsky said the deal with the Mets was done long ago, they were just waiting on an open roster spot.

Now with Hatteberg hitting over .300 and being a solid guy on the team, its hard to imagine the Reds not picking up his 1.85 million option for next year. He's cheap and very effective in a platoon role. But where does that leave Votto? Votto is also a lefty, which means platooning with Hatteberg is just foolish. This leads me to wonder if Votto will instead be the starting left fielder for the Reds in 2008? No one seems anxious to re-up Dunn. We all see the writing on the wall, he's as good as gone, either traded after his option has been picked up or allowed to go for 2 compensational draft picks.

With the Reds keeping the payroll below 70 million, would Votto be a better choice in LF than a high priced free agent, allowing the club to pursue pitching, pitching and more pitching (and right handed power?). It'll be interesting to see how many more games Votto plays in LF now that Cantu is gone... That should tell you right there how the Reds are leaning for next year.

Re: First Base and Left Field

I think Votto should be up here now being evaluated for next season. He is a big part of the puzzle for next season, so why wait? If he doesn't have what it takes, we need to know that.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think Votto should be up here now being evaluated for next season. He is a big part of the puzzle for next season, so why wait? If he doesn't have what it takes, we need to know that.
    But, if they'd like him to be in LF (this is my pet thoery) it also makes sense to give him some more innings in the outfield in Lousiville, innings he won't get at the big league level. He'd be fighting with Cantu and Hatte at first and Hopper and Hamilton in the OF. Give him a couple more weeks to play the field and then call him up in sept.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Exactly. All I hear about on TV and radio is that right now, it's audition time for next year but what could be the key part of next year isn't up here doing anything yet. He is tearing up AAA and I think he is ready.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

I am one who does think the Reds will decline Hatteberg's option if the choice is between Votto and Hatteberg. I simply think Votto would be more productive offensively than Hatteberg at first base. I would be very disappointed if they chose Hatteberg over Votto at first base.

Votto is the future. Whatever has to be done to get him to the Reds i say do already.
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    Votto is the future. Whatever has to be done to get him to the Reds i say do already.
    I think we on Redszone think that Votto is the future but I am beggining to think the front office doesnt think that he is the future/
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think we on Redszone think that Votto is the future but I am beginning to think the front office doesnt think that he is the future/
    What makes you think that? From all I have heard they are trying to make waiver deals to clear room on the roster for him. One of the pivotal signs as to when we will see him will happen in the off-season. If Hatteberg and Dunn have their options picked up next year, Votto will spend next year in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    What makes you think that? From all I have heard they are trying to make waiver deals to clear room on the roster for him. One of the pivotal signs as to when we will see him will happen in the off-season. If Hatteberg and Dunn have their options picked up next year, Votto will spend next year in AAA.
    He is 23+ years old and they didnt trade Hatteberg or Dunn to clear him a spot on the roster. There is even talk of picking up Hatteberg's option next year so why would we need yet another left handed hitting first baseman/corner outfielder?
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 08-22-2007 at 09:42 AM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

Votto is the future but he's the future at first base

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Votto is the future but he's the future at first base
    So you think the Reds will decline Hatteberg's option?

So you think the Reds will decline Hatteberg's option?
    Finally me and degenerate agree on something...

Votto should be at first base. We want to IMPROVE as a TEAM, so we want to UPGRADE our power at 1B.

Now, SOME people will say that's a way to Make Up for losing Adam Dunn - putting Votto at 1B, and putting say Norris Hopper as the everyday LF-er. THAT is how you DOWNGRADE your team as a whole.

We should pick up Adam Dunn's option for next year. Decline Hattebergs, and put Votto at 1B. Votto is also about $1.3M cheaper than Hatteberg, so that $2.5M raise for Dunn doesn't look so bad.

THEN, you look at 2009 - Griffey probably isn't worth $16.5M, so you give him his $4M buyout, and hope Jay Bruce is ready to play.

Problem then is, who replaces Dunn (again)? Same scenario, different year. IF you sign Dunn Long-Term, you are theoretically looking at having your ENTIRE starting OF full of lefties if you count Josh Hamilton who has to play every day when he's healthy.

Interesting off-seasons to say the least.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Finally me and degenerate agree on something...

Votto should be at first base. We want to IMPROVE as a TEAM, so we want to UPGRADE our power at 1B.

Now, SOME people will say that's a way to Make Up for losing Adam Dunn - putting Votto at 1B, and putting say Norris Hopper as the everyday LF-er. THAT is how you DOWNGRADE your team as a whole.

We should pick up Adam Dunn's option for next year. Decline Hattebergs, and put Votto at 1B. Votto is also about $1.3M cheaper than Hatteberg, so that $2.5M raise for Dunn doesn't look so bad.

THEN, you look at 2009 - Griffey probably isn't worth $16.5M, so you give him his $4M buyout, and hope Jay Bruce is ready to play.

Problem then is, who replaces Dunn (again)? Same scenario, different year. IF you sign Dunn Long-Term, you are theoretically looking at having your ENTIRE starting OF full of lefties if you count Josh Hamilton who has to play every day when he's healthy.

Interesting off-seasons to say the least.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Agree with all of this Bleeds. Hatte is a short term answer at first base. Votto is a long term answer at first base. Easy as that.

I agree with the two of you. From all I have heard, Votto is a good player who can hit the ball to all fields. I really hope the two of you are correct and we see both Votto and Cantu play first next year. So with it clear we need to clear Hatteberg to have Votto at first, would you seek a waiver deal for Hatteberg? If he is ot going to be here next year, it would be best to trade him for the best prospects we can and call Votto up as soon as the trade is done. I would hope the Reds are doing that right now. I would like the Reds to try and trade Hatteberg to a playoff team where his experience might help them.

It may be that Reds management doesn't agree with us. C Trent Rosecrans said this yesterday. "It looks like the Reds will have Hatteberg around for another year. The Reds brass is not high on Votto. They think he is a AAAA player" I really hope his sources are wrong. That would be a monumental mistake by Reds management
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 08-21-2007 at 11:39 PM.

I agree with the two of you. From all I have heard, Votto is a good player who can hit the ball to all fields. I really hope the two of you are correct and we see both Votto and Cantu play first next year. So with it clear we need to clear Hatteberg to have Votto at first, would you seek a waiver deal for Hatteberg? If he is ot going to be here next year, it would be best to trade him for the best prospects we can and call Votto up as soon as the trade is done. I would hope the Reds are doing that right now. I would like the Reds to try and trade Hatteberg to a playoff team where his experience might help them.

It may be that Reds management doesn't agree with us. C Trent Rosecrans said this yesterday. "It looks like the Reds will have Hatteberg around for another year. The Reds brass is not high on Votto. They think he is a AAAA player" I really hope his sources are wrong. That would be a monumental mistake by Reds management
    I don't see how that could be the case. Dude was in the AAA All -Star game wasn't he? He's on the top 10's of every Publication as a no-miss prospect, etc, etc...

Hatteberg was sent through waivers, but was claimed and then withdrawn, so they obviously were TRYING to trade him. I think that is a ploy to get the word out for trying to trade Hatteberg in the off-season. He's WAY too old to keep around, just because he can hit at/near .300. He's got no power, and you need that from your corner infielders, especially 1b. We haven't had that since Sean Casey hit 20 HRs like 10 years ago...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?