Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Braves are a class organization

The Braves are a class organization

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ATLANTA -- Tim Hudson never achieved perfect attendance in school.

"I maybe missed a day or two," said the Braves starting pitcher.

Fifty kids at D.H. Stanton Elementary School have Hudson beat. They went the entire 2006-07 school year without missing a day. For that, they were rewarded with a $100 gift card to DICK'S Sporting Goods and a chance on Saturday to shop with Braves players Hudson, Kelly Johnson, Peter Moylan, Chris Woodward and Corky Miller.

In 2005, the Braves formed a long-term partnership with D.H. Stanton that includes tutoring, mentoring and career development opportunities. Saturday's event offered plenty of incentive for kids to attend school every day.

"It's just fun to bring them in here and put some smiles on their faces," Hudson said. "It's like Christmas to them right now."

The kids were split into two groups, and each player was in charge of five students per group, though the youngsters found ways to interact with all of the Braves. The most popular attraction was the shoe section, where many kids in Hudson's group picked out their favorite pair of Heely shoes, a brand that specializes in skate-like sneakers with wheels.

For the kids, meeting the players was nice, but some enjoyed the mascot just as much.

"I liked them all, said 8-year-old Cemaj Hillman. "Especially the one with the baseball head. What was his name? Homer."

During the year, students weren't told that perfect attendance would earn them an opportunity to shop with the Braves. To Selina Coleman, D.H. Stanton's program coordinator with communities in schools, that made the accomplishment even more impressive.

"This is wonderful motivation for them," Coleman said. "They have been so excited. Every day, they've been counting down -- 'One more day, Ms. Coleman, two more days, Ms. Coleman.' I had kids calling me at 6 o'clock this morning. They were dressed, they were ready -- they were ready to go."

The players were at the mercy of the kids, following them around the huge three-level store. Preparation for a takeover by eager children was extensive, but DICK'S managed to pull it off.

The store had previously done similar events with the Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Falcons, and its staff members were happy to provide the children with back-to-school items they may have been otherwise unable to procure.

"It's a great event," DICK'S community marketing manager Skip Turner said. "We're happy to partner with the Atlanta Braves on this. We have 50 children that went an entire year without missing a day, which is huge. I can tell you now I don't think I did that in all my years of school."

While one group was shopping, the other was enjoying McDonald's Happy Meals, another perfect item for kids. The Braves entered the store to a huge reception from the kids, who banged their fists on the tables while yelling, "Let's Go Braves." At other times, adults attempted to keep the kids quiet, but this time they didn't stand a chance.

"You see the joy and the happiness in their faces," Woodward said. "They let them go in the store and buy whatever they want. It's good for them to get what they need, and it helps everybody.

Jeff Lutz is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Braves are a class organization

I think that's a great program. At the same time, I realize from the time I spent working with inner city kids in the West End, that the parents are the ones who create attendance. Don't get me wrong- this is really cool and I commend the Braves and Dick's for rewarding these children. It just makes me think of all those good kids I knew who didn't even know where their moms were on a daily basis. The fact that they got to school on a regular basis was a minor miracle.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Great story. I hope other teams do that too. Also, Corky Miller? Was that the one with the big baseball head the kid mentioned?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

That was the mascot.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That was the mascot.
    Homer the Brave? (They should add one called Lando DeFree.)

The Reds did a similar program earlier in the season. Kids got to shop with Harang, Conine, Phillips and others.

I recall Conine in particular saying something about a kid who had money lef tover from the 100$ gift certificate they got and asking him if he [Conine] needed anything. Seems like the Red's players also matched the gift cards as well as shopping with them.

So if the Braves are a class organization, so are the Redlegs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I always thought "Perfect Attendance" was a crap award in grade school. Kids are little germ factories -- why should we reward the ones who were either born with fantastic immune systems or born without the good sense to stay home when they were sick and stop from infecting everyone else with whatever was causing them to sit in the back of the room and go through boxes of tissues during class?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I always thought "Perfect Attendance" was a crap award in grade school. Kids are little germ factories -- why should we reward the ones who were either born with fantastic immune systems or born without the good sense to stay home when they were sick and stop from infecting everyone else with whatever was causing them to sit in the back of the room and go through boxes of tissues during class?

Sounds like someone never got perfect attendance.

I hear the same screaming from the kids who never got the Straight A's for the free tickets. It was easy for me. Date a girl with straight "A's"
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Well my guess is at this system, kids weren't missing school because of the flu. Maybe they should have done it for 2 or fewer days missed.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I hear the same screaming from the kids who never got the Straight A's for the free tickets. It was easy for me. Date a girl with straight "A's"
    Or have a little sis who got straight "A's"...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 19-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That was the mascot.
    Haha. I was being sarcastic. I got that part.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Or have a little sis who got straight "A's"...
    Good work Kitty!

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

Funny, you would think a girl with straight A's would be smarter than that.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Werd.
    Go Gators!

Great program....hats off to the Braves!

I thought this was sort of funny.

"This is wonderful motivation for them," Coleman said. "They have been so excited. Every day, they've been counting down -- 'One more day, Ms. Coleman, two more days, Ms. Coleman.' I had kids calling me at 6 o'clock this morning. They were dressed, they were ready -- they were ready to go."
    Isn't that counting up?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?