Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Levi Jared Burton appreciation thread

Levi Jared Burton appreciation thread

I got touched up a here a couple weeks ago when I called Burton a "poor man's Mariano Rivera." But I'm sticking with it (consider pitch reputoir).

He has gained command of his fastball, which is a cutter, and he runs it hard in on LH'ers. Eventually, LH'ers will struggle mightely against him as they did tonight. He drops in a change around 89 and his slider at 85 is a tough pitch, though he doesn't throw it often. I REALLY like this guy.

Post All-Star break:

20 ip, 13 hits, 12 bb, 18 k, 4 er, 1.80 era

He's getting his command down, still has a bit to work on though. But I really like his future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Levi Jared Burton appreciation thread

I'm right there with ya brother. I've been a huge fan of Jared Burton since the first day I saw him pitch, which was in spring training on TV against the Yankees. IIRC, he struckout Giambi and Jeter in the same inning with that split fingered-changeup. His stuff was nasty back then but it's even nastier now that he has established some command (though he still has room to improve upon that).

Very nice find by Wayne Krivsky.

Man Pills

I'm glad they stuck with him--rather, I'm glad his rule 5 status forced Krivsky to keep him in the majors.

Still, anybody can be all-universe for a month (anybody remember Todd Coffey?); let's see him repeat it next season--when it might actually matter.

He looks more confident on the mound and it also looks like his fastball has gained a few more MPH compaired to what he showed earler in the season.

Burton's looked very impressive recently, and hopefully he continues to impress throughout the rest of the season and into next season. He's come a long way with commanding his pitches already this season, and gaining further command of all his pitches should only help him continue to improve.

For Mackanin, right now the best thing to do with Burton is to handle him properly. Don't bury Burton in the bullpen if he has a bad outing (a bad outing is bound to eventually happen), but don't overuse him either.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

His name's Levi?

Its his chinstrap beard.

I would like to see him in the closer spot right now. The problem with PeteMac is that he is winning and won't try people in new places. Does he not know the tradition that we have in Cincy of losing?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I would like to see him in the closer spot right now. The problem with PeteMac is that he is winning and won't try people in new places. Does he not know the tradition that we have in Cincy of losing?
    I'm fine with him where he is. The Reds have won 90 games in a row when leading after 8. So closing isn't the problem, and Stormy will be here next year. I say continue to give him good innings in key innings, but not closing. For some reason, those last 3 outs can make or break a relievers mentality, no matter what the score. Let him grow still at his current role.

Aves - nice post. I agree.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Pleasant suprise. Give me 5 more relievers just like him.
    Witty signature.

"So Fla Red"

I was very impressed with him in the game I went to in Miami last month (the lone Reds win). He was popping the glove and stood out on a night where about 10 guys blessed the mound.

Bray + Burton + Weathers and suddenly the bullpen starts to look almost respectable.

Burton is great, which is no surprise here. When I chart Burton's iDIPS on graph paper it's like I'm peering through the scrolling 1's and 0's of the Matrix and seeing that beautiful blonde in a red dress.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    When I chart Burton's iDIPS on graph paper it's like I'm peering through the scrolling 1's and 0's of the Matrix and seeing that beautiful blonde in a red dress.
    You need a hobby! :

And where the heck do ya' play tennis in New York?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    The problem with PeteMac is that he is winning and won't try people in new places.
    The problem is Krivsky because he's running the team.

Turn Off Ads?