Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: The top 15 SP free agents

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,344

    The top 15 SP free agents

    I thought I would create this thread since we have such weakness in the back end of our starting rotation. I will list the pitchers, their ERA, and their W-L this year. This list is taken from SI.com.

    1.Schilling 7-5 4.25

    2. Clemens 5-5 3.92

    3.Carlos Silva 9-12 4.17

    4. Jeff Weaver 5-10 5.57

    5. Bartolo Colon 6-6 6.72

    6. Randy Wolf 9-6 4.73

    7. Livan Hernandez 9-7 4.86

    8. Freddy Garcia 1-5 5.90

    9.Jason Jennings 2-8 6.16

    10.Rodrigo Lopez 5-4 4.42

    11. Kenny Rogers 3-2 5.23

    12. Jon Lieber 3-6 4.73

    13. Matt Clement DNP

    14. Eric Milton N/A

    15. Josh Fogg 7-8 5.82

    I simply recreated this thread from a similar one on ORG, so let's have a similar discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of next year's FA starting pitchers

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    wow, thats not a very impressive group, schilling and clemens are the best, but they're too old. i don't even know if i would want any of those guys.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    637

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    This list just reinforces the need to build from within and focus on the long term.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Yeah, that list really sucks. I used to like Randy Wolf when he was with the Phillies, before his arm almost fell off...

    All I can see now is shades of Eric Milton, who for some ungodly reason is actually listed as the 14th best FA SP available

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS

  6. #5
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    is it just me or is jeff weaver on this list every year?
    the only ones i would even find tempting just for 1 year deals to contend would be clemens or schilling, and neither one would sign with cincinnati.

  7. #6
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    So everyone wants to get rid of Dunn to pick up one of these guys? There can't be a guy on that list that will help this team more than Dunn.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,344

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    It just points out how weak the SP free agent market is. However, I could see us giving one of these pitchers a 1 year deal until Cueto is ready. I suppose we need to consider if we would get better play from a FA or from Belisle.

  9. #8
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It just points out how weak the SP free agent market is. However, I could see us giving one of these pitchers a 1 year deal until Cueto is ready. I suppose we need to consider if we would get better play from a FA or from Belisle.
    It would probably be Silva because you know how Wayne loves those Twins
    Most Vottomatic Player

  10. #9
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    belisle sucks in my opinion, he shows flashes, but he can't seem to consistently put a season together. i'm personally tired of his act, and would rather give someone else a shot. anyone think homer bailey would be a possibility by next season?

  11. #10
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    belisle sucks in my opinion, he shows flashes, but he can't seem to consistently put a season together. i'm personally tired of his act, and would rather give someone else a shot. anyone think homer bailey would be a possibility by next season?
    I think he has to be really. The Reds won't last another season with a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Livingston, ?, ?. Hopefully Homer does well in the minors the rest of the year and trains hard in the offseason.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  12. #11
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    It would probably be Silva because you know how Wayne loves those Twins
    Actually,from that group Silva might be decent if him and Dunn could bury the hatchet ( if Dunner's back)

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Id be interested in Schilling, Garcia, Lieber and Clement if any can get healthy

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pataskala
    Posts
    253

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Actually,from that group Silva might be decent if him and Dunn could bury the hatchet ( if Dunner's back)
    bury the hatchet
    what happened between them?
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I thought I would create this thread since we have such weakness in the back end of our starting rotation. I will list the pitchers, their ERA, and their W-L this year. This list is taken from SI.com.

    1.Schilling 7-5 4.25

    2. Clemens 5-5 3.92

    3.Carlos Silva 9-12 4.17

    4. Jeff Weaver 5-10 5.57

    5. Bartolo Colon 6-6 6.72

    6. Randy Wolf 9-6 4.73

    7. Livan Hernandez 9-7 4.86

    8. Freddy Garcia 1-5 5.90

    9.Jason Jennings 2-8 6.16

    10.Rodrigo Lopez 5-4 4.42

    11. Kenny Rogers 3-2 5.23

    12. Jon Lieber 3-6 4.73

    13. Matt Clement DNP

    14. Eric Milton N/A

    15. Josh Fogg 7-8 5.82

    I simply recreated this thread from a similar one on ORG, so let's have a similar discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of next year's FA starting pitchers
    Just say no!
    Who's on first?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: The top 15 SP free agents

    Silva actually looks like the best of the lot. Should Lohse be on the list?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25