Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto and C. Trent Rosecrans

Re: Votto and C. Trent Rosecrans

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Hal McCoy said the same thing as CTR on the broadcast last night.
    Hal mentioned other big league scouts said they didn't think he could hit. Hal didn't mention if they were Reds scouts or other teams'.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am amazed by the complexity of the Reds front office to dismiss one of your top prospects without playing a major league game. On top of that, you downplay his abilities in the press, which makes his trade value less.

I'm confused.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I am amazed by the complexity of the Reds front office to dismiss one of your top prospects without playing a major league game. On top of that, you downplay his abilities in the press, which makes his trade value less.

I'm confused.
    What surprises me is that so many assume that reporters really are privy to so many things they blather on about on the 2nd inning portion of the game and on their respective blogs. Is it any wonder that WK is so tight lipped about moves the club are making.

Now maybe it's a "cause and effect" situation: Wayne's silence evokes writers to grasp at straws for any modicum of information etc. Do they make it up out of whole cloth? I'm not saying that, but I think they take any tiny fragment and blow it up bigger than it actually is.

It's really getting terrible about Reds town these days. I think the press plays an important role in our society, but the sports writing community surrounding this club is just getting goofy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I'm confused.
    Don't be!

Its a comment in a blog with no source. He could've read it on a fortune cookie for all we know.

I usually like CTR but an off-hand comment like this requires further explanation.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Hes not fine but I dont doubt he made it up. So hes more than just the messenger.
    Please stop stating your opinions as fact, especially about someone that is liked around here...heck, whether he is liked or not.

I glanced at the Bats schedule and see their season ends September 3rd. It doesn't appear they're play-off bound (they're 8 games back presently) and it doesn't look like the Intl League does a split season championship arrangement.

In some ways, it really makes little sense to call Votto up until the Bats season is over. Then the ML rosters expand and he can come up for his first taste of the big leagues. To me it just seems logical to let him play out the AAA season and then make the move when the roster expands.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Don't be!

Its a comment in a blog with no source. He could've read it on a fortune cookie for all we know.

I usually like CTR but an off-hand comment like this requires further explanation.
    Sure, but like stated earlier in the thread, Hal McCoy said the same thing on the radio broadcast the other night....

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Yeah... "the Reds say" is kind of nebulous. WHO said? And was he speaking for the organization or for himself?
    Not all who wander are lost

This may be ultra nerdy, but I sent him an email asking for clarification. We'll see what happens.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Talkin' Baseball

It would be good to clarify if he meant that WK does not see Votto as a significant upgrade over Hatte in the short term or that he does not project him as a long term solution at 1st base. The former wouldn't surprise me, but the later would.

The option isn't much and having Hatte here to compete with a young gun seems to be the way almost all teams go about bringing up their young guys. It would not shock me to see Votto in a Reds uniform next season nor would it shock me to see him in Louisville next season.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I have no clue how the front office views Votto, but the fact they didn't trade Hatty is a good indicator that the Reds plan on having him around next year.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Well I would bring him back next year too. His salary is way too good for him numbers to not bring him back. The problem is, do you start him at first still, or do you let him be the bat you bring off the bench who you know is going to give you that quality at bat you need late in a game?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well I would bring him back next year too. His salary is way too good for him numbers to not bring him back. The problem is, do you start him at first still, or do you let him be the bat you bring off the bench who you know is going to give you that quality at bat you need late in a game?
    I think the Reds plan on starting Hatteberg at 1B again next year. They are probably going to evaluate Cantu the rest of this season to see if he can be the RH piece of the platoon (Conine's replacement). I think Votto starts the year in AAA if he's not traded this winter.

Cruisin' for trouble

I don't consider Votto to be in competition for the 1B job next year, particularly considering the fact that they have played Votto in LF quite a bit in the last couple of months. The question is, who in the outfield is he projected to replace?

Turn Off Ads?