Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sabermetrics Forum?

Sabermetrics Forum?

I think it goes without saying that one of the primary tension on the board is between those who are sabermetrically inclined and those who are not. I'm sure this is true for the Sun Deck as well as ORG.

While certainly advanced stat conversations are useful and productive in the context of many discussions, often the discussion topic is derailed by a discussion on the appropriateness of a given measure.

I think it would behoove the site to have a special forum dedicated to sabermetric/advanced statistical analysis. It would allow for a stickied repository of definitions for 'basic' concepts like run scoring correlations (which Steel has posted ad naseum for good reason), VORP, etc. This would provide quick access to these discussions without the need to rehash them over and over again. It would also be a less cluttered place to post some of the great analysis being done by site members like WoY and Cyclone. Heck, we could even have "THE Adam Dunn Thread" rather than rehashing it over 15 pages once a week.

Lastly, it could be accessible to ALL site members, provided an appropriate level of intelligent discussion. This would allow ORG members more access to Sun Deck members in a specialized context. This has worked to great effect in the Minors forum, where discussion is free, but focused.

While I certainly appreciate the importance of maintaining a critical mass of activity in any given forum, and not spreading out discussion unnecessarily, I think this forum would add to the site, make some of this type of thinking more accessible, and cut down on a lot of the completely unnecessary, repetitive conversations that add clutter and detract from the RedsZone experience.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Sabermetrics Forum?

All I know is that the non-saber forum should have a title like "The Hustle Forum" or ""Intangible Talk."

And the saber forum should have a big "Nerd Alert" sign somewhere around the link.

I'll be proudly hanging out in both.

Talk about one big head ache of a forum

I like the idea though

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I think it goes without saying that one of the primary tension on the board is between those who are sabermetrically inclined and those who are not. I'm sure this is true for the Sun Deck as well as ORG.
    I agree with that, but the solution is to learn to be civil towards others who don't follow the game the same way you do, not to segregate discussion topics. I'm not necessarily vetoing the idea, but I do want to point out that's how I feel about the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Lastly, it could be accessible to ALL site members, provided an appropriate level of intelligent discussion. This would allow ORG members more access to Sun Deck members in a specialized context. This has worked to great effect in the Minors forum, where discussion is free, but focused.

While I certainly appreciate the importance of maintaining a critical mass of activity in any given forum, and not spreading out discussion unnecessarily, I think this forum would add to the site, make some of this type of thinking more accessible, and cut down on a lot of the completely unnecessary, repetitive conversations that add clutter and detract from the RedsZone experience.
    It's a great idea in theory, but the folks who love to go round and round about the same numbers related stuff are just as likely to do so in a specialized forum as they do in the regular forum.

That would be a dangerous forum....kind of like Thunderdome.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That would be a dangerous forum....kind of like Thunderdome.
    Two men enter, one man leaves!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Who knows? Maybe no one will come out. Why do they always say only one will come out? I want to see 2 people in a boxing match reach back and knock eachother out at the same time. If anybody can find a video link of that happening send it to me. Thanks.

I think it would be a good idea for those people who enjoy it. I am not one who overly relies on advanced statistics, but I appreciate people who use data to back up their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    All those scary numbers!

What it would do is allow us stats geeks to not feel the need to repeat ourselves as much while clearing out some of the "clutter" from ORG. It also gives us another way to interact with SunDeck posters.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What it would do is allow us stats geeks to not feel the need to repeat ourselves as much while clearing out some of the "clutter" from ORG. It also gives us another way to interact with SunDeck posters.
    I agree that it would be a cool place, and I like the interaction with SunDeck posters aspect (as long as it doesn't usurp the idea of ORG being the place to go on RZ).

I'm just not sure how it does anything to prevent those who want to argue about the "sillyness" of numbers, or beat the same dead-horses without trying to understand statistical anaylsis from coming into the stats froum and mucking things up.

But if this does come to pass, I cast one vote for the forum to be called "Stat Land". And SteelSD would be required to end every post with "SteelSD from Stat Land...Out! "
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-24-2007 at 01:41 PM.

I could see it easily becoming an elitist society leading to unnecessary mayhem.

I could see it easily becoming an elitist society leading to unnecessary mayhem.

Or a cesspool that emits tired stereotypes about elitism and statistical study.

Turn Off Ads?