Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ryan Howard is the Phillies' answer to Adam Dunn & RedZone.

Why Ryan Howard is the Phillies' answer to Adam Dunn & RedZone.

In 2004, Adam Dunn set the major league record for strikeouts by a batter in a single season with 195 (he is also second with 194 which he had last season).

Ryan Howard has played in 104 of 124 games this year.

He has a total of 149 strikeouts in those 106 games or roughly 1.4 strikeout's a game.

Assuming he plays in their remaining 38 and maintains his current strikeout rate he would eclipse Dunn with the first 200 strikeout season in the history of the game with 202.

To put this in perspective, In Dunn's 195 and 194 strikeout seaons he had a K rate of 1.2 for 161 total games in 2004 and in 160 games in 2006. Howard is on pace to break the record by 7 playing in 17 less games.

The Phillies need to trade Ryan Howard.

Obviously, my post is toungue in cheek.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-22-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Howard Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    In 2004, Adam Dunn set the major league record for strikeouts by a batter in a single season with 195 (he is also second with 194 which he had last season).

He has a total of 149 strikeouts in those 106 games or roughly 1.4 strikeout's a game.

Assuming he plays in their remaining 38 and maintains his current strikeout rate he would eclipse Dunn with the first 200 strikeout season in the history of the game with 202.

To put this in perspective, In Dunn's 195 and 194 strikeout seaons he had a K rate of 1.2 for 161 total games in 2004 and in 160 games in 2006. Howard is on pace to break the record by 7 playing in 17 less games.

Obviously, my post is toungue and cheek.
    Strike out more while driving in more runs hitting for a higher average (besides this year) and making 12 million dollars less

my post is tongue and cheek as well
    Last edited by Muggerd; 08-22-2007 at 04:12 PM.

And hitting more home runs

The reason some advocate trading Dunn is because, while not realized by a few on here (not intended as a jab at OP), this is not fantasy baseball and finances come into play. Howard is making less than $1M and will cost the Phils $20K per home run while Dunn is making over $10M, will cost the Reds over a quarter million per home run, and is set to go into free agency and make probably $15M per season. Maybe that might be why some advocate trading him. If Adam Dunn had 1.5 years of service time, you would not be hearing a substantial amount of folks advocating trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    And hitting more home runs
    heck might as well toss in a ROY and MVP as well.

dont forget that he had a higher obp than Dunn has ever had in his rookie season.. by .025...

Dont forget he has as many AS game appearances as Dunn

He also is far superior a defender.. no that he is a GG player yet.. but he has never had a season under .990 fielding percentage.. Dunn at first base is way worse..

Ohh yeah dont froget to mention that his RBI output last year was 50 more than Dunn...

Ryan howard is having his one year down that is an off year.. dunn might be having his best year EVER, and he is only batting 6 points higher..

Also in this season he still has a better AB/HR ratio and RBI output even with less games..

HisOBP this year is also better than DUNN.. I cant put my toungue in cheek because I am still laughing at you comparing Dunn and Howard HAHAHAHAHA

The fact of the matter is is that the Reds have 5 outfielders that are better than Dunn right now-Griffey, Hamilton, Freel, Hopper, and Bruce. All of these make a lot less money except Griffey. I say if we can trade Dunn for some really good pitching prospects during this offseason we should do it. The future outfield for this team is probably going to be Hamilton, Hopper, and Bruce. Dunn would be much better served playing in the AL anyway, that way he can DH most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    The fact of the matter is is that the Reds have 5 outfielders that are better than Dunn right now-Griffey, Hamilton, Freel, Hopper, and Bruce.
    Huh? You mean defensively? Ok, sure...but he's a left fielder! He isn't a shortstop, or any other defensive centered position. But are all of those better major league players than Dunn? The only one who could probably claim that is Jr.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The fact of the matter is is that the Reds have 5 outfielders that are better than Dunn right now-Griffey, Hamilton, Freel, Hopper, and Bruce. All of these make a lot less money except Griffey. I say if we can trade Dunn for some really good pitching prospects during this offseason we should do it. The future outfield for this team is probably going to be Hamilton, Hopper, and Bruce. Dunn would be much better served playing in the AL anyway, that way he can DH most of the time.
    No. Even with his liabilities, Dunn is the Reds best outfielder RIGHT NOW. I just don't think he is worth 5yrs, 75M (which is what I think he will ask for and may get from a large market)

How u doin

Re: Why Ryan Howard is the Phillies' answer to Adam Dunn & RedZone.

they would both be really amazing if they struck out less

Please give me some empirical data that would back your claim that Norris Hopper or better yet, any of those outfielders are better that Adam Dunn. I'd be interetested in seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by danken12 View Post
    Please give me some empirical data that would back your claim that Norris Hopper or better yet, any of those outfielders are better that Adam Dunn. I'd be interetested in seeing it.
    I'll be waiting as well...I mean come on, Norris Hopper? Are you serious? Do you actually watch games, do you know what the game of baseball is?

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Why Ryan Howard is the Phillies' answer to Adam Dunn & RedZone.

Ryan Howard has played in 104 of 124 games this year

I'm sure you feel the same way I do, reds44, Ryan Howard can play on our team (Reds), regardless.

I hope this guy posts more, I like his style. Stats and logical reasoning be damned, just throw out whatever comments you want as "the fact of the matter". I'd love to hear your argument for Hopper and Freel over Dunn.

P.S. Are you Marty?

Marty is that you.

Turn Off Ads?