Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Reds Home Runs according to ESPN

Greatest Reds Home Runs according to ESPN

I saw a thread like this going on over in the Sun Deck and decided to start one here to get ORG's opinion. ESPN had the Reds greatest HR's on Baseball Tonight last night. I didn't know they were doing this or I would have watched. They list as their top three:

Tony Perez's Game 6 homer in the 1975 World Series
    Johnny Bench's Game 5 homer in the 1972 NLCS
    Ken Griffeys inside the park homer in 2001

I think I would reverse Perez's and Bench's homer. I think Bench's HR was the most clutch HR I have ever seen for the Reds. Reds down one run in the 9th against one of the better closers in the NL and on the brink of elimination. Can't get a lot better than that unless you named Mazeroski.

I honestly don't remember Griffey's HR as it came during a very bad time in my life and I wasn't paying much attention to baseball at that time.

What would your top three HR's be for the Reds?

Mine are:

Bench HR in game 5 of the 1972 NLCS
    Perez's HR in Game 7 of the 1975 WS
    Eric Davis's HR in Game one of the 1990 WS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/daily?page=dd/070822
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-23-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: A new number three
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greatest Reds Home Runs according to ESPN

The game where Junior hit the walkoff inside the park job was one of the wildest games I've ever seen, and possibly ever will.

Tons of wierd plays; the one I remember most being Wilton Guererro getting in a Cardinal baserunner's way between first and second (I think it was Fernando Vina, but I can't remember).

I remember the team was down two runs in the bottom of the 10th and Todd Walker and Kelly Stinnett his back-to-back homeruns to tie the game and send it to the 11th.

Junior's ball should have been caught...thank God it was Jimmy Edmonds in center and he did what he usually does. He started to stutter-step in order to make a "great" catch...he stutters, and jumps three feet from the wall, allowing the ball to fall harmlessly at the base of the wall and roll almost to the left field corner.

Joe's call on the radio was absolutely wonderful. I wish there was audio of it on the internet somewhere.

Don't ask me how I remember all that stuff...
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Any discussion of greatest Reds' home runs must include Eric Davis' game one blast in the 1990 World Series. It proved that Dave Stewart and the A's were not invincible and set the tone for the eventual sweep.

Oh, and to answer your question...my top three would be:

1. Adam Dunn's walkoff grandslam...was there in person to see it and short of a playoff/World Series game at Great American, nothing will ever top that atmosphere.

2. Joe Randa's walkoff homerun on Opening Day 2005. Again, I was there and it's a day I'll remember for a long, long time.

3. Ken Griffey's inside-the-park walkoff homerun in 2001.

Those are my top three. I'm young.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Any discussion of greatest Reds' home runs must include Eric Davis' game one blast in the 1990 World Series. It proved that Dave Stewart and the A's were not invincible and set the tone for the eventual sweep.
    Yep.

Yeah, I'd go with Bench in the 72 NLCS, Perez in the 75 WS, and Davis in the 90 WS.

Johnny Bench and George Foster hit back to back homers in Game 3 of '76 NLCS to sweep the Phillies. The Reds were down 6-5 when Foster and Bench homered to lead off the top of the 9th at Philly.

Lots of regular season HRs are very exciting when they happen, but they don't matter as much.

Hal King's HR against the Dodgers in 1973 that turned a season was a biggie.

In late 1999, I recall Pokie Reese, Eddie Taubensee, and Chris Stynes hitting huge HRs to win games in dramatic fashion. August and September in 1999 were quite exciting (except for that last series against the Brewers and the subsequent play-in game against the Mets.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 08-23-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Pay attention to the open sky

Perez's game seven home run in the 1975 World Series is the greatest, most important home run in Reds history, and it isn't even close IMO. The Reds own yearbook this season makes the same argument.
    If Perez does not hit that home run and instead makes out three, the Reds would have remained down 3-0 in game seven, with only 9 outs left. Yes, maybe the Reds would have still rallied to pull out the game, but as the game was actually played in those final three innings it was all the Reds could do to put two more runs on the board at Fenway Park. Without Perez's HR, the Reds quite probably would have lost game seven, 3-2, and the World Series.
    What then? The Big Red Machine would have been 0 for 3 in the World Series, with losses in 1970, 1972 and 1975. They would have been branded as "chokers," as the team that "couldn't win the big one." Instead of trading Perez after 1976 and consecutive world titles, the Reds may have very well traded away Perez after the 1975 disappointment. Without Perez, its heart, maybe the 1976 team doesn't win it all, and even if it does, the 1970s Reds go down as just another team than won a single World Series.
    Johnny Bench's 1972 HR in game five of the NLCS was the most dramatic in Reds history, but Perez's HR in game seven of the 1975 World Series was the most important.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Perez's game seven home run in the 1975 World Series is the greatest, most important home run in Reds history, and it isn't even close IMO. The Reds own yearbook this season makes the same argument.
    If Perez does not hit that home run and instead makes out three, the Reds would have remained down 3-0 in game seven, with only 9 outs left. Yes, maybe the Reds would have still rallied to pull out the game, but as the game was actually played in those final three innings it was all the Reds could do to put two more runs on the board at Fenway Park. Without Perez's HR, the Reds quite probably would have lost game seven, 3-2, and the World Series.
    What then? The Big Red Machine would have been 0 for 3 in the World Series, with losses in 1970, 1972 and 1975. They would have been branded as "chokers," as the team that "couldn't win the big one." Instead of trading Perez after 1976 and consecutive world titles, the Reds may have very well traded away Perez after the 1975 disappointment. Without Perez, its heart, maybe the 1976 team doesn't win it all, and even if it does, the 1970s Reds go down as just another team than won a single World Series.
    Johnny Bench's 1972 HR in game five of the NLCS was the most dramatic in Reds history, but Perez's HR in game seven of the 1975 World Series was the most important.
    I agree completely.

And also, after Bonds broke the record, every team on MLB.com had the most important homerun to the team's history and that Perez homerun is the one that won out.

It's tought to rank them, and thankfully, I've been VERY lucky to be at some great games. My top ones for games I have been at:

1. Dunn GS vs. Indians
    2. Ross walk-off vs. Cards last year... PLAYOFFS BABY!...errr
    3. Barry Larkin Walk-off, first AB back from DL. It was Disney-esque. Probably in 02?
    4. Dunn/Randa opening day '05
    5. Wily Mo BOMB for a walk-off on HIS bobble head day. I love me some Wily Mo.
    6. Adam Dunn HR in Pittsburgh this year to go ahead in the 10th. It shut up some heckler near me.

Hal King's July 1, 1973 3-run pinch hit home run.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    It's tought to rank them, and thankfully, I've been VERY lucky to be at some great games. My top ones for games I have been at:

1. Dunn GS vs. Indians
    2. Ross walk-off vs. Cards last year... PLAYOFFS BABY!...errr
    3. Barry Larkin Walk-off, first AB back from DL. It was Disney-esque. Probably in 02?
    4. Dunn/Randa opening day '05
    5. Wily Mo BOMB for a walk-off on HIS bobble head day. I love me some Wily Mo.
    6. Adam Dunn HR in Pittsburgh this year to go ahead in the 10th. It shut up some heckler near me.
    Newbie! :

Rem

My personal fav was the Bench HR in the '72 playoffs against the Bucs. It was the first year that I actually lived in Cincinnati after following the team for 16 years. I watched the game from my apartment in Highland Towers and when Johnny hit that blast I remember looking out of my window and watching the fireworks go off at Riverfront. Simply a fantastic moment.

I have to agree that Perez' HR in the '75 WS may very well have been the most significant HR hit in Reds history for all of the reasons RedsBaron laid out.

Another personal favorite was Perez' HR off Tom Seaver in the '73 playoffs to win the game 1-0. I was at that game and had the Reds won that series it might have gone down as a bigger HR and been the 'face' of that series instead of Rose and Harrelson going at it at second base.

The Hal King HR was a pivotal 'in season' blast and I remember where I was when it happened (in my kitchen brewing home-made cream sherry wine. )

Rem

For me, there's Eric Davis' 1990 Game 1 homer, then there's all the rest.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    For me, there's Eric Davis' 1990 Game 1 homer, then there's all the rest.

I revised my top three and put that one at number three. It set the tone for that WS. If Davis doesn't hit that HR I wonder if the Reds win it at all?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I think Bench's game 4 HR in Yankee in '76 was pretty big. It was a nice ending to a great run of the BRM.

I thought Mariano Duncan's 3-run blast in Game 3 of the 1990 NLCS was big - it rolled into a Game 4 win and eventually a Series win.

I also would vote for Hal King.

Davis's was big in Game 1, but you could argue that Chris Sabo's 2-HR in Game 3 sent the message that the Reds would and could win in Oakland.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?