Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welfare/etc.

Welfare/etc.

I have to do a powerpoint project on a policy. Either create one, or critique and change an existing one.

I've decided to do it on the welfare system, or for a more broad issue, just the overall government fundings to people.

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Statistics on how much the government gives out for financial assistance, things like food stamps, etc.

For those interested, my policy will help weed out those who 'cheat' the system / live off welfare instead of it being just help. It will also eliminate those people who need foodstamps yet spend large amounts on cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Re: Welfare/etc.

Don't forget about "corporate" welfare.

Do you mean the big tax breaks for big corporations?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Do you mean the big tax breaks for big corporations?
    Exactly, also Government Contracts in exchange for political contributions.

Yeah, I really don't believe in that either

I might add that into it as well. This is only a 2 minute thing though, so hopefully I have the time.

Just cite your 'credible' sources and you will do fine.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/

Good luck with your policy attempt. You'll probably encounter a lot of opposition.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison, as he disapproved of an attempt to appropriate $15,000 for French refugees. 4 Annals of congress 179 (1794).

"Our tenet ever was . . . that Congress had not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were restrained to those specifically enumerated; and that, as it was never meant that they should provide for that welfare but by the exercise of the enumerated powers, so it could not have been meant they should raise money for purposes which the enumeration did not place under their action." - Thomas Jefferson

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship."- Alexander Fraser Tyler, 18th century Scottish historian, The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic

When I say 'cite' your sources make sure you use credible sources. More on the Heritage Foundation here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...age_Foundation They are a right wing think tank. It's okay to cite them, but don't take everything they say at face value, after all they have an agenda and your professor probably knows that.

As long as sources are peer-reviewed and appropriately vetted, they should be fine; if the "findings" are "found" by corporate underwriters, you can pitch that stuff out the window.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    When I say 'cite' your sources make sure you use credible sources. More on the Heritage Foundation here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...age_Foundation They are a right wing think tank. It's okay to cite them, but don't take everything they say at face value, after all they have an agenda and your professor probably knows that.
    Welfare is one of those issues that will pretty much be dominated by strong thought by the left and the right...both fiercely defending their positions. I happened to simply provide a link to the position of the right because, well, that's the one I agree with.

Here's a map on what states are getting more tax dollars than what they are putting in.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Bear/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Bear/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see it looks like the Big "Liberal" states get hosed. Of course my source is a 'liberal' blog. ha ha.

Don't forget about "corporate" welfare.
    You mean like gov't paid stadiums?

As you can see it looks like the Big "Liberal" states get hosed. Of course my source is a 'liberal' blog. ha ha.
    What you are seeing is most likely a function of the cost of living. Where is it most expensive to live in the US? NYC-CT-NJ-Boston and CA. If those folks earn more, it stands to reason that they'd pay more in taxes than the average bear.

(Hello, AMT.)

And if the whole purpose of federal taxation is to redistribute resources for the common good, then I'd say that it looks like on average, the system is working relatively well.

Turn Off Ads?