Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox Clayton to minor league deal

Senor Votto

Red Sox Clayton to minor league deal

Red Sox sign SS Clayton to minor league deal

August 23, 2007
    CHICAGO (TICKER) -- The Boston Red Sox on Thursday signed infielder Royce Clayton to a minor league contract.

The 37-year-old Clayton will report to Class AAA Pawtucket of the International League on Friday.

The 17-year veteran, who batted .254 with a homer and 12 RBI in 69 games for the Toronto Blue Jays before being released on August 6, has played in 2,100 career games for 10 different teams. He has a career batting average of .258 with 1,904 hits - including 110 homers - and 723 RBI.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox Clayton to minor league deal

Clayton cannot hit, and doesn't have the range to play a decent SS anymore. How does he keep getting work?

I don't know,but a pretty sweet deal having a chance to make it on to a world series contending team.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Royce Clayton is only 37 years old? I thought that fossil had to be at least 40 years old by now. Good luck to the Red Sox and what they may be able to get out of Clayton.

Senor Votto

Maybe they'll just use him as a late inning defensive replacement in September.

I bet the Yankees signed him and told him to report to the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Royce Clayton is only 37 years old? I thought that fossil had to be at least 40 years old by now. Good luck to the Red Sox and what they may be able to get out of Clayton.
    I remember when the Giants drafted him scouts were comparing him to Larkin.Damn i'm old.

Turn Off Ads?