Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we (or should we) move the fences back at GABP?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Can we (or should we) move the fences back at GABP?

Honestly, I love almost everything about our (relatively) new park, with one HUGE exception: I think the outfield dimensions are an absolute joke. Most everyone else seems to feel the same way. We've all heard the Great American Small Park references and the hundreds of others.

I know the park is backed up right against the river and the basketball arena right next door. But is there any room to move the fences back just a little bit to make it more legit? I hate knowing that others think we play in a joke of a ballpark. We are the Cincinnati Reds with as much tradition as anyone and we shouldn't be settling for park with high school (middle school?) dimensions. I can't believe the people who constructed the stadium allowed this to happen. They should have went with the exact same dimensions of Riverfront -- and they at least thought of it because they went with 404 in straight away center. But the lines and power alleys are too short. Very, very dumb and I hope something can be done about it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can we (or should we) move the fences back at GABP?

The fences can be moved for sure, the question is who is going to pay for it??

Being in construction, I can tell you it will cost lots and lots of money!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

There was a question about this on reds.com in the mailbag I believe last year or earlier this year and the beatwriter seemed pretty confident that there was no way it would ever happen.

I don't know if it's true, but I had heard they made the fences so close so that Griffey could hit more HRs. If that is true, that is absolutely ridiculous. That ballpark will be here very long after Griffey's career is over.

Personally, I'd like to see the fences moved out some but, between the cost of the construction and the loss of the seats, I'd be really surprised if it happened. (famous shrug)

BTW, everytime I watch a game on EI and they show a shot of a left-hand batter (from about what would be the on-deck circle) GAB looks like a minor league park with the low bleachers in right field and no upper deck. Since I've never been there, I'd like to get some input from those that have been.

Rem

The only way the fences could be moved back is if the Reds wiped out some of the lower rows in either the moon deck or the left field terrace. Not only would that be mighty costly, but that would wipe out some pretty popular seats (especially those in the moon deck).

Final verdict? Will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see the fences moved out some but, between the cost of the construction and the loss of the seats, I'd be really surprised if it happened. (famous shrug)

BTW, everytime I watch a game on EI and they show a shot of a left-hand batter (from about what would be the on-deck circle) GAB looks like a minor league park with the low bleachers in right field and no upper deck. Since I've never been there, I'd like to get some input from those that have been.

Rem
    The moon deck in right field is a superb place to sit. The deck is angled similar to that of an upper deck in that it's quite steep, but it's the only deck out there and starts immediately behind the wall. With the steep angle starting immediately behind the fence, the view of the park from those sections is fantastic (unless you're more than halfway up in section 144 since the stacks block the scoreboard).

The first dozen rows or so in the moon deck are some of the best seats in the park, IMO.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Chicks dig the long ball!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Peter Gammons said, when asked on one of those talking head shows today, that GABP is the park that most "made him cry" when entering. Meaning that the park should have been way better in his view, what with the history and fandom of Reds baseball.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I have always said it was way to little and I wish it was as big as Riverfront was b/c riverfront imo was perfect.The Brewers park is another park that I wish ours were more like.

If they would change it it would'nt hurt the batters at all b/c the ball would still carry well.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Peter Gammons said, when asked on one of those talking head shows today, that GABP is the park that most "made him cry" when entering. Meaning that the park should have been way better in his view, what with the history and fandom of Reds baseball.
    I guess he is crying a river when he walks into his beloved Fenway then. Thought is was a joke back in 1975.....until Bill Lee that is.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    It's Peter Gammons.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There was a question about this on reds.com in the mailbag I believe last year or earlier this year and the beatwriter seemed pretty confident that there was no way it would ever happen.

I don't know if it's true, but I had heard they made the fences so close so that Griffey could hit more HRs. If that is true, that is absolutely ridiculous. That ballpark will be here very long after Griffey's career is over.
    I heard this too, though I never could quite follow the logic if that's true. Most of Jr's HRs go way further than just over that short porch.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The fences should not be moved, it would be a tremendous waste of money, and it certainly wouldn't help, how bout we spend cash on better pitchers?
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

Is Adam Dunn the only player to hit a ball into another state?

(Not counting the proverbial homer that landed in a railcar heading out of town, that's been told about nearly every minor league field there's ever been.)

Take a look at this site and look at some of the comparisons, both old and new. Except for right field, we compare with Crosley (40 feet difference on right field), but then check out right field in Fenway, they're at 302, compared to our 325. I think we all got used to the doughnut shaped bowl stadiums which seemed bigger, but actually GABP's dimensions do not differ much from Riverfront's: 330 - 404 - 330, with 375 in the gaps - GABP is 328 - 404 - 325, with 365 in the gaps.

Anyway here's the site: http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/Dimensions.html

I'd love to know what the aerodynamic phenomenon is going on down at GABP.

If you push the fences back it's only going to hurt the players that routienly squeek homers out to left field (or right field).

So you prevent the Scott Hatteburgs of the world from getting homers, while the Dunns, JR's, Howards and Texeria's of the world contine to launch bombs into the upper reaches of either field.

As Redsmetz pointed out the dimentions are simular to Riverfront and plenty of teams currently play in "small ballparks". I'd rather they invest the money needed to radically alter the stadium into better pitching than making a change that would only effect a minor portion of the home runs hit at GABP.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?