Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same old Braves

Same old Braves

Today is a beautiful day.

Over the past decade+ that I've lived here, I've seen the Reds get treated by the local team like a red-headed stepchild. Repeatedly. It started with the 1995 NLCS, and never really got much better.

Until the magical 2007 season.

My boss, who's genuinely a good guy, liked to take a line from Davey Concepcion and turn it around after every Braves thrashing of the Reds. Evidently, back in the day the Reds were in town and someone asked Concepcion about some improvements in the Braves lineup. After yet another Reds win, Concepcion said something to the effect of "they're still the same old Braves."

With each drubbing the Reds have taken from the Braves over the past decade, I've inevitably heard my boss tell me "same old Reds."

If anyone has a good photo of Concepcion that I could doctor up, I'd love to see it. After losing the season series 6-1 to the Reds, my boss clearly needs to be reminded of the natural order of the baseball universe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Same old Braves

I hate the Braves.

More than the Dodgers, more than the Cubs.

Friggin' Superstation.

We got cable in 1982, and that spring I was treated to a ton of Reds-Braves games on the Superstation. It was my first look at the Reds in 6 years since we moved to Kansas. I was just a kid, and I got to watch my beloved Reds (actually a shadow of my beloved Reds) get trounced by the Braves as they started the season a record-breaking 13-0. They celebrated that 13th win like they had just won the World Series.

I hate the Braves.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

There was nothing more annoying than when the Braves started making their run in the early 90's.

I can't get Skip Carey's voice out of my head.

"Braves WIN.....Braves WIN."

Uhhg.

Back in '91 when the Terry Pendleton, Sid Bream, David Justice, Avery/Glavine/Smoltz Braves broke through, I thought it was a nice story and was happy for them. They had been the sad sack of the the league for eons and it was nice to see a new team in the palyoffs.

Ever since then, I've rued the day I had a positive thought for them. I got really, really, really sick of that team really, really, really fast.

I admire their front office and Bobby Cox, but I got sick to death of the Reds regularly getting their brains beat out by them. And the fair-weather Atlanta fans and their stupid tomahawk chop.

Mike Stanton pitched for that '91 Braves team.

Pay attention to the open sky

Yay!

I'm with Roy. I liked the Braves for about 2 years during their resurgence.

Then in '94 I went to Nashville for college. Pseudo-Braves fans everywhere. Tim McGraw sang about them. Braves fans and country music... the bane of my existence.

Now, I've kinda come back around. Chipper is not just a "cutie" that all the little Belles used to swoon over. He's actually a tough nut pro. Smoltz is now one of my favorites after shifting roles (twice) for the good of the team. Bobby Cox actually is a good manager and not just a product of their system.

I even listen to a talk radio station out of Nashville on the net quite often because they have some smart baseball talk. And they're Braves fans!!!

So I've kinda come full circle with the Braves. In fact, if I had to pick a second favorite NL team, the Braves would be it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Real simple but pretty effective...

This could be a nice added touch

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And the fair-weather Atlanta fans and their stupid tomahawk chop.
    My version of the Tomahawk Chop.

Whoa-o-oooo

Bra-aves blow
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Growing up in Florida hating the Braves became seconds nature, personally I find it pitiful that they skip over 94 in their division title streak.
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I even listen to a talk radio station out of Nashville on the net quite often because they have some smart baseball talk. And they're Braves fans!!!
    Talking about Plaster's crew? They're good. Imagine, guys who reasonably and intelligently discuss sports instead of screaming and staking out ridiculous positions to draw attention to themselves.

I don't hate the Braves, even though I'm married to a Braves fan. It helps that she's a genuine Braves fan going back to the Dale Murphy years, and not a '90s bandwagoner.
    Not all who wander are lost

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Talking about Plaster's crew? They're good. Imagine, guys who reasonably and intelligently discuss sports instead of screaming and staking out ridiculous positions to draw attention to themselves.

I don't hate the Braves, even though I'm married to a Braves fan. It helps that she's a genuine Braves fan going back to the Dale Murphy years, and not a '90s bandwagoner.
    Yep. I got to know Willie pretty well when I was in Nashville. I used to take pity on Willie for being a Mets fan. I know Plaster, also, but to a lesser extent.

My dad still lives down in southern KY and turned me on to them. If I'm around my computer when they're on, I check it out.

1510 used to have good Sunday night sports talk as well with Conn Hamlett (sp?). Usually it was Vols talk, but like you said, it was done in a reasonable, intelligent (as much as can be done with UT fans) manner.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yeah, the only reason I don't listen all the time is because football talk tends to dominate, which isn't a problem, but I'm not a Titans or UT fan, which is. But you have to like a local show in a non-MLB town that takes the time to talk baseball and even brings in the likes of Jayson Stark for weekly segments.
    Not all who wander are lost

Braves designate Wickman for assignment

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/24/07

The Braves designated reliever Bob Wickman for assignment on Friday after the former closer allowed a game-winning home run in the 12th inning at Cincinnati.

Wickman has 10 days to be traded or placed on waivers.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...kman_0825.html

That's a shocker. I know he wasn't doing too great for them, but rarely does a team in the middle of the playoff race cut ties with their closer unless it's an absolutely ridiculous implosion.

They traded away a pretty good catcher for him last year.

I like seeing the REDS have such an impact on another team.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?