Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timetable for Hiring 2008 Manager

Timetable for Hiring 2008 Manager

Presuming that Castellini and Krivsky will, in fact, interview candidates for the next manager of the club, what sort of timetable do folks anticipate? As I recall, MLB does not like such announcements during the playoffs and the World Series, I would assume that the manager will be named probably no later than Thanksgiving.

I would think that you would want the permanent replacement in place as post-season player moves are made and well as prior to the Winter Meetings.

Others thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Timetable for Hiring 2008 Manager

I think the new manager is already here. If the Reds finish with a flourish... It will be announced the last week of the season that Pete is back in 2008 with a 1 year deal. If they stink...interviews and then first of November.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I think the new manager is already here. If the Reds finish with a flourish... It will be announced the last week of the season that Pete is back in 2008 with a 1 year deal. If they stink...interviews and then first of November.

I can envision the same thing.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I can envision the same thing.
    That could happen.

Though, I don't think it will happen.

November 12th, 2007 the Reds will name their next manager.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    There's a man hoping to get a cigar.

Why not go ahead and name Mac the new manager? Right now, his audition and attempts to win games is hampering the look towards the future.

Sign the Mac guy, bring up Votto, Cueto, and whoever else needs a look. This audition is not really necessary. Managers are basically a crap shoot.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Let's all keep our heads for now...no reason to rush to a decision

We all know where jumping the gun has gotten this franchise.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-25-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'll top that, he was named on July 1st, 2007
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    ... his audition and attempts to win games is hampering the look towards the future.
    Whoa!!! What happened to my ability to edit my post!?!? Geesh! A guy should be able to correct his subject-verb agreement after a few beers!!! Can we no longer edit the morning after???
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sorry for the double post.

Before Mackinen: Worst team in the National League.

Since Mackinen: Best team in the National League.

They'll do a real job search, but Mackinen has got to be the leading candidate. He benefitted greatly by not having Juan Castro around, but he even won the 7-10 days that he had Castro. Going on about 57 games now for Mackinen with about 37-40 games to go.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Whoa!!! What happened to my ability to edit my post!?!? Geesh! A guy should be able to correct his subject-verb agreement after a few beers!!! Can we no longer edit the morning after???

For a while now it's been set up where you only have a few hours to edit your post.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Before Mackinen: Worst team in the National League.

Since Mackinen: Best team in the National League.

They'll do a real job search, but Mackinen has got to be the leading candidate.
    Here is the thing everyone keeps ignoring. WK went and sought out MacKanin and brought him into the organization last offseason. He put him in the scouts job, when all his previous experience was in uniform, telling him it would be a good way to garner a different perspective and set of experiences. A move like that sounds a lot like a developmental move and implies to me that WK had plans for Pete all along.

My guess is that MacKanin is WK's guy. If he gets the job it will be more because of that and less about his record since July 1. I look at the interim period more as a way to blow it when he had already won the job than as a way to earn the job.

As far as a proper search is concerned, my guess is that it occurred last offseason when MacKanin was brought into the organization in the first place. This is not a hire from within move even though Mackanin was already a Red's employee prior to the Manager's job coming open. There is really no similarity to Miley's situation even though Miley had a similar period of good play after he was hired.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here is the thing everyone keeps ignoring. WK went and sought out MacKanin and brought him into the organization last offseason. He put him in the scouts job, when all his previous experience was in uniform, telling him it would be a good way to garner a different perspective and set of experiences. A move like that sounds a lot like a developmental move and implies to me that WK had plans for Pete all along.

My guess is that MacKanin is WK's guy. If he gets the job it will be more because of that and less about his record since July 1. I look at the interim period more as a way to blow it when he had already won the job than as a way to earn the job.

As far as a proper search is concerned, my guess is that it occurred last offseason when MacKanin was brought into the organization in the first place. This is not a hire from within move even though Mackanin was already a Red's employee prior to the Manager's job coming open. There is really no similarity to Miley's situation even though Miley had a similar period of good play after he was hired.
    Interesting take.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?