Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merged: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion / Concepcion number retirement night

Merged: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion / Concepcion number retirement night

Viva La Concepcion!

He was the best SS of his era.

He patented the turf-bounce throw, not Ozzie.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 08-24-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion.

As a Californian, one of the reasons I became a Reds fan is that the first thing I noticed the SS was wearing number 13 which I got a quick connection as I was born on the 13th and I had already chosen that to be my lucky number. It's not the only reason I became a Reds fan, but the great fielding SS with number 13 lured me in. Congrats Davy. I also met Davy as he toured around the world visiting military bases making personal appearances along with George Foster and Bob Feller.

love to hear the fans chant "Hall of Fame" when he is introduced!

He was one of many straws that stirred that Big Red Machine drink, and IMHO the club would not have been what it was without him.
    Of course, that may have hurt him, as he has been overshadowed. But, that does not detract from the fact he was the best shortstop of his time, period.

I cannot wait until tomorrow. I hope the weather holds up.

Concepcion (Dave, not Onix) jersey retiremenet night

Anyone going solely to see this? I had tickets for the Friday game this weekend from the Power Pack, but decided to spring for a hotel room and Saturday tickets mainly to relive some better baseball times. I was wondering if anyone really comes out to these games just for reasons as this. Guess the attendance numbers will tell.

I used the Cincinnati USA discount code for this and got mezzanine tickets for half price. Great deal.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Re: Concepcion (Dave, not Onix) jersey retiremenet night

I know alot of the younger generation were raised on Larkin, and with no due disrespect to Barry; but Davey is da man! When I started following the Reds, Cardenas was the SS. I got to meet him at the Reds HOF a couple years ago. What a thrill.

I'm lookng forward to being there tonight. We got seats along the 1b line (section 133). I'm taking the video camera too. You can't tape any of the game; but you can the pre-game ceremony, which begins at 6:30.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Re: Concepcion (Dave, not Onix) jersey retiremenet night

I wish I could go. Davey is awesome.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Re: Merged: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion / Concepcion number retirement night

Wow, I was trying to go to tonight's game, but...Right at the Illinois / Indiana border, there were several roads either closed, or traffic was so backed up, I would have never made it on time. I ended up turning around and coming back home. We've gotten so much rain up here lately, that everything is flooding.

I'm very disappointed, as I had been looking forward to this trip for months now. I already had my hotel room prepaid and of course, two tix for the game. What a waste.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Merged: In honor of #13, Davey Concepcion / Concepcion number retirement night

I won't be able to make it to Newport for beers on time, but I'll be at the game in the bleachers. When you see a message on the board, welcoming the Hittners, that's for my group.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I won't be able to make it to Newport for beers on time, but I'll be at the game in the bleachers. When you see a message on the board, welcoming the Hittners, that's for my group.
    The RedsZone message will be up there as well!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Does anyone have a link to watch the ceremonies on line?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

sure would have been nice if directv could have shown this, but

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Should be in the hall....and I hope one day, he gets the honor he truely deserves....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-25-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That was cool!!

Turn Off Ads?