Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco update - and it's not looking good.

Re: Devin Mesoraco update - and it's not looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Being blind to his stats, is being blind. I never stated I was doing cartwheels over him at any point. But I get sick of people wanting to throw him down a rat hole. Stubbs in not a bust, and should be given space and opportunity. He is leading the league in runs scored by a margin of 10.
    I think there is a little of both sides. Some think he is and will be a bust, mostly b/c he was a first-rounder. Others think he is starting to come around and will be just fine.

Both are opinions. Neither are right or wrong at this point. In the long run, what Stubbs is doing right now doesn't matter. It's what he will be doing in the long run and beyond.

But for now, I don't think anyone can dispute that he hasn't had the best start for his career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The only struggle that I can recollect Jay Bruce enduring his first year was an 0-4 or 0-5 night with all outs by K. He displayed power hitting from the start. Joey Votto started out 0-30 in the GCL his first pro year, but he eventually went on a tear. Mesoraco's lack of power is not a good sign. Remember, most of the pitchers in this league never even get to low A ball - look at the Reds rosters for some of the past years. I hope that this year is merely a reflection of Mesoraco's adjustment to pro ball and, after a winter of hard work, he will be ready to put 2007 behind him. Even if he doesn't improve much in 2008, I'm still willing to give him a flyer until mid-2009 (he's only 18 after all), so long as he is healthy.
    Jay Bruce batted .257 his first season at Billings. While that's not as bad as Devin, that's hardly exceptional. If you want to include his stats with GC Redsox in the mix, he was batting a combined .263. It's not terrible when you combine the stats, but again, he wasn't tearing it up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Jay Bruce batted .257 his first season at Billings. While that's not as bad as Devin, that's hardly exceptional. If you want to include his stats with GC Redsox in the mix, he was batting a combined .263. It's not terrible when you combine the stats, but again, he wasn't tearing it up.
    Few things.
    1. Jay Bruce had to take the first pitch of every at bat his rookie ball years with the GCL REDS (not Red Sox no matter what thebaseballcube.com wants to tell you) and the Billings Mustangs, so by comparison, its not really a comparison at all.
    2. While we are at it though, comparing most guys to Jay Bruce in the minors is also a fairly unfair comparison.

Devin's a bloody High school catcher! Last I checked almost every scouting service had him highly rated. Silly old paid to inform and advise guys did nothing but send the Reds a bust of a pick> If your that retarded to not realize the depth and adjustment to needed to take on that position as a pro player . I have a simple answer for you *tunes up into best Lewis Black impression* babbble bable *head shake* Kill yourself. As for Highschool players adjustment period Justin Reed says Hello

PS> Waiver claim for those who actually consider this as a threat or a malicious comment, seek help and quickly I recommend Zoloft
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    There are three certainties in life: death, taxes and DougDirt defending Stubbs anytime someone calls him a bust. How many times do we need to go over this? We have differing opinions. It's nothing personal. But this is about 5 times you have asked me something to the effect of, "A little early to call Stubbs a bust isn't it?"

No, I don't think it is. No offense. Again, wake me up when he is playing well at a level that corresponds with his draft status/age. Low A-ball just doesn't do it for me for a guy who was a top 10 pick last year. Tim Lincecum thinks we should drop this conversation and move on to something a little more debateable... like Skyline or GoldStar?
    If someone is going to repeatedly call Stubbs a bust, what's wrong with repeatedly defending Stubbs? Despite the progress that Stubbs is showing, your opinion of him being a bust doesn't seem to be changing. At least dougdirt is staying relevant by incorporating new evidence. It's not like dougdirt defends Stubbs because they're good friends, and it's a lot of fun. I promise you that if Stubbs is 27 years old and still hasn't gotten above AA, dougdirt will be calling him a bust.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes and DougDirt defending Stubbs anytime someone calls him a bust.
    Make it four: Someone calling Stubbs a bust in a thread that isn't about Stubbs.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Make it four: Someone calling Stubbs a bust in a thread that isn't about Stubbs.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about Mesoraco. Like someone else said, many future major leaguers have struggled in the GCL only to go on and have successful major league careers. Devin is barely out of high school and is probably working on his defense a little more than hitting at this point considering he is a catcher.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Add me to the list of people not worried about Mesoraco. It would be much different if he was a guy coming out of college struggling like this. Will be interesting to see how he does next year. And like I said on another thread, I believe he will start the year in Dayton.

People take the Drew Stubbs thing way too personally. They are just opinions on both sides of the ledger. If you take it personally, get over it. I think he's a bust and believe me I hope I'm wrong. Sorry, but "kind of coming around at low-A ball" just doesn't change my mind. If he goes out and has a big year next year in AA, then I might become a believer. But right now, that was just an awful pick and there's no getting around it. Saying otherwise makes me think you might be sticking your head in the sand. Nothing wrong with optimism (I thought the Reds would win 85 games this year) but let's be a little bit realistic.

But at least there are a few people here who can engage in baseball conversation. And DougDirt, I agree about Skyline, but like you said you can't go wrong either way. I've had many a night enjoying Gold Star as well.

As for Mesoraco, this kid is definitely our catcher of the future. The future is just a long time away.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 08-26-2007 at 12:37 PM.

People take the Drew Stubbs thing way too personally. They are just opinions on both sides of the ledger. If you take it personally, get over it. I think he's a bust and believe me I hope I'm wrong. Sorry, but "kind of coming around at low-A ball" just doesn't change my mind. If he goes out and has a big year next year in AA, then I might become a believer. But right now, that was just an awful pick and there's no getting around it. Saying otherwise makes me think you might be sticking your head in the sand. Nothing wrong with optimism (I thought the Reds would win 85 games this year) but let's be a little bit realistic.
    Sorry but you are missing the point. You use terms like "awful", "saying otherwise makes me think you might be sticking your head in the sand". You are the one taking it personally. There is/was no debate about the actual selection of Stubbs, Redzone wasn't happy, 15 months later to continue to bang on the kid, is not fair. He has shown undeniable progress.

Edabbs is right on when he says "But for now, I don't think anyone can dispute that he hasn't had the best start for his career." That stance is fine, and true. But to call him a "bust" is not.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Saying he is a bust and saying you think he will be a bust are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Few things.
    1. Jay Bruce had to take the first pitch of every at bat his rookie ball years with the GCL REDS (not Red Sox no matter what thebaseballcube.com wants to tell you) and the Billings Mustangs, so by comparison, its not really a comparison at all.
    2. While we are at it though, comparing most guys to Jay Bruce in the minors is also a fairly unfair comparison.
    If you want to argue that the sample size for both teams was small for Bruce, I'd give you that, but taking the 1st pitch no matter what should be an overly relevant factor.

I think he will be a fine catcher. I don't understand why people think a high schooler should be able to come in and hit well in pro baseball. There is a huge difference. Even the best pitchers in high school throw like 80 with maybe one or 2 good offspeed pitches. In pro ball everybody throws atleast that good.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Saying he is a bust and saying you think he will be a bust are two different things.
    Oh, I agree with this. I should have been clearer. I think he definitely will be a bust. I agree that there is still plenty of time for him to turn it around, I just think it's unlikely.

Now about Mesoraco... I just hope this kid turns it around next year at Dayton. He is still very young and has four years in the minors ahead of him most likely.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Dunn strikes out to much.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Dunn strikes out to much.
    It's about time someone noticed this.

Turn Off Ads?