Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will Ross be the starting catcher when he returns?

Will Ross be the starting catcher when he returns?

Javier Valentin has been hitting well lately. A BA of .362 in August has got his BA up to .290 this year. Ross is a good defensive catcher, but I fear he will not hit enough to remain the Reds starting catcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Ross be the starting catcher when he returns?

I think its going to be split a lot closer to 50/50 than before

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

It has been nice to replace the offensive black hole that was the 8 spot with guys like Valentin and EE. Defense at the catcher position is important, but Valentin has shown he's been fine defensively ever since The Cannon has shown confidence in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    It has been nice to replace the offensive black hole that was the 8 spot with guys like Valentin and EE. Defense at the catcher position is important, but Valentin has shown he's been fine defensively ever since The Cannon has shown confidence in him.
    Javy is a pretty bad catcher, but if he can bat .290 and hit the ball like he does with guys on its hard to not play him.

Agreed. The offense has really performed well with Keppinger and Valentin over Gonzalez and Ross. Specifically Ross, you are almost giving away 2/3 thirds of an inning anytime you have Ross followed by a pitcher.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

2007 stats...

Dave Ross: 271 ABs, .207/.267/.399/.666
    J. Valentin: 176 ABs, .290/.339/.409/.748

While Ross is better defensively, I'm not sure he's that much better to make up for his miserable offensive season (.267 OBP, you kidding me?). Plus, with the way the Reds have been winning with Valentin (et. al) behind the plate, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2007 stats...

Dave Ross: 271 ABs, .207/.267/.399/.666
    J. Valentin: 176 ABs, .290/.339/.409/.748

While Ross is better defensively, I'm not sure he's that much better to make up for his miserable offensive season (.267 OBP, you kidding me?). Plus, with the way the Reds have been winning with Valentin (et. al) behind the plate, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    You said it best yet.
    Ross may be better but "that much" better.

I think that you have got to go with what is working. As long as this lineup is winning and scoring runs I think it should stay like it is.

If Kep and Hamilton keep hitting the way theu are, with Javi in their too... We have a pretty scary offensive lineup all of the sudden.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    I think that you have got to go with what is working. As long as this lineup is winning and scoring runs I think it should stay like it is.
    Yep. Keep the train rollin. Thats what I always say.

It is too bad for Ross to lose his job while on the DL, but he has not done the job offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It is too bad for Ross to lose his job while on the DL, but he has not done the job offensively.
    Its kinda sad but thats how alot of MLB players got their shots. I wouldn't mind a bit if there were more competition for the catchers spot. Maybe it will keep Ross hitting over .200.

Turn Off Ads?