Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fay - It's Mackanin's job IF....

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fay - It's Mackanin's job IF....

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-26-2007 at 04:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay - It's Mackanin's job IF....

good piece. the reds do have a few chips to trade for some starting pitching. it will be interesting to see if they pick up dunn's option. i'm one of the ones who wanted him traded but now i'm not sure. for someone who's not cluch he's either #3 or #4 in the league in 2 out rbis. that is pretty clutch to me!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

But the emergence of Jeff Keppinger and Norris Hopper has given the Reds more chips to with which to trade.

Parting with Edwin Encarnacion or Alex Gonzalez to open a spot for Keppinger is a possible.

Hopper looks like he could fill the role fourth outfielder role, which makes Ryan Freel tradeable.
    Keppinger, Hopper, Freel packaged together wouldn't yield a #4 starter. Hopper and Freel are replacement players, and no GM is dumb enough to trade anything with talent for a hot hitting career minor leaguer.

I'm glad Marty got shown up that the Reds would keep Dunn. Marty has no sense in what is valuable to a team...like scoring runs.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Honestly, I am fine with keeping Mack.

The failure of Narron, and Miley doesn't really bother me. A one year contract would be fine. If he fails you just do this over again next season.

That, and I really dislike Tony LaRussa.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Anyone else have the feeling that Votto may be moved over the offseason?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If the only choices are LaRussa, Mackanin and Bob Brenly (the only person besides Mackanin who has publicly expressed interest in the permanent gig), I'd stick with the guy who has shown over the last 2 months that he can win with this Reds team.

I'm hoping that there are even better choices than those 3, though.
    /r/reds

OPTION PLAY: Marty Brennaman took a survey of the three beat writers on the subject of Adam Dunn's $13 million option.

The vote was 3-0 that the club picks it up.
    That must have broken Marty's heart.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Anyone else have the feeling that Votto may be moved over the offseason?
    I share that feeling.

I've never been big on Votto, but the kid is raking in AAA and should be given a shot on the big club no later than September 2nd. Hopefully this regime gives him a chance to either play his way on, or play his way off the big club, unlike how they handled Chris Denorfia.

The beauty of hiring MacKanin is that he'd be cheap (probably even cheaper than Narron).

EE doesn't net a starter IMHO, at least not a starter as defined as what the majority of the fan base would consider quality.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I share that feeling.

I've never been big on Votto, but the kid is raking in AAA and should be given a shot on the big club no later than September 2nd. Hopefully this regime gives him a chance to either play his way on, or play his way off the big club, unlike how they handled Chris Denorfia.
    Maybe because Denorfia IS a AAAA guy?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Is it okay to be indifferent?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    That must have broken Marty's heart.
    Of course the question was if they thought the Reds would pick up the option not if they thought the Reds should pick up the option. Marty himself may think the Reds will pick up the option but you can bet your bottom dollar he doesn't think they should pick it up.

I think Mackanin has done well so far. But I've seen this act before and it always ends up in the interim manager getting a new deal for a year or so and then getting an extention when the team plays well and eventually getting fired when the team stops playing for him. I know a lot of people don't like LaRussa and I know he has his faults. But you can't argue with results and he's got them everywhere he's went.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I'm OK with keeping Mackanin if he only gets a one yr deal. Ditto for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Maybe because Denorfia IS a AAAA guy?
    I'll take an OPS of .740 and good defense in the OF.

Now Brandon Larson, there is a REAL AAAA player.
    Go Gators!

Carlos Silva is a guy they should look at , also depends on what he is looking for salary wise. 3 Years 18 mill is doable but higher than that I would start chating up the Angels on some of there pitching excess.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?