Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty's survey of the beat writers on Adam Dunn's option

Marty's survey of the beat writers on Adam Dunn's option

OPTION PLAY: Marty Brennaman took a survey of the three beat writers on the subject of Adam Dunn's $13 million option.

The vote was 3-0 that the club picks it up.
    Marty probably told them how stupid they are "off the air".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: option option

Marty was probably beside himself after that vote.

It would be criminal for the Reds to do anything BUT pick up his option.

FMB said something that was very true on Friday night.

- No matter how good this team looks now winning, there are a number of holes to fill and current management cannot be fooled into thinking this team is a contender. -

I about drove off the road. He is right.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    FMB said something that was very true on Friday night.

- No matter how good this team looks now winning, there are a number of holes to fill and current management cannot be fooled into thinking this team is a contender. -

I about drove off the road. He is right.
    Unfortunately he thinks the biggest hole is in left field and that Norris Hopper is the one to fill it. My son looked up Hopper's stats last night and just about fell in the floor laughing.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Unfortunately he thinks the biggest hole is in left field and that Norris Hopper is the one to fill it. My son looked up Hopper's stats last night and just about fell in the floor laughing.

I respectfully disagree - the bullpen has gotten the brunt of Marty lately.

Ever since that survey with the beat writers, Marty has been quiet on the Dunn front.

And honestly, since Josh Hamilton is back, I've not heard much from Norris Hopper. I'm guessing Petey Mac knows Hopper's role.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I respectfully disagree - the bullpen has gotten the brunt of Marty lately.

Ever since that survey with the beat writers, Marty has been quiet on the Dunn front.

And honestly, since Josh Hamilton is back, I've not heard much from Norris Hopper. I'm guessing Petey Mac knows Hopper's role.

Bellhop moving luggage for his teammates on road trips?

Re: Marty's survey of the beat writers on Adam Dunn's option

Maybe they'll increase the payroll by 10% to $75M with plans of keeping Dunn only half a season, thus costing them only half the $13M. Don't know where the money would come from. Attendance is the same as last year (54 people less per game, but Griffey's chase for 600 should bring out more people). Maybe ownership will think they can win it all next year and spring for the extra money.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Here's where Dunn's money could go:

Per Rotoworld...

Carlos Silva (Twins) - Silva pitched himself out of the rotation for a time during 2006, and he wasn't all that much better in the first half of 2007. However, he has helped himself out a ton with a 1.75 ERA over his last five starts. At 27, he'll be the youngest starter available this winter, making it likely that a nice payday is on the way. His sinker will make him especially attractive to teams in smaller ballparks, even if he doesn't get as many grounders as most like to believe. The Phillies, Reds, Orioles, Rangers, Rays and Braves are among the clubs that could pursue him. Prediction: Reds - four years, $32 million
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post

Per Rotoworld...

Carlos Silva (Twins) - Silva pitched himself out of the rotation for a time during 2006, and he wasn't all that much better in the first half of 2007. However, he has helped himself out a ton with a 1.75 ERA over his last five starts. At 27, he'll be the youngest starter available this winter, making it likely that a nice payday is on the way. His sinker will make him especially attractive to teams in smaller ballparks, even if he doesn't get as many grounders as most like to believe. The Phillies, Reds, Orioles, Rangers, Rays and Braves are among the clubs that could pursue him. Prediction: Reds - four years, $32 million
    kill me
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Think Dunn would offer up a discount to the Reds if they try to lock him up for longer?

Hopefully not.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Think Dunn would offer up a discount to the Reds if they try to lock him up for longer?
    I can't think of a good reason why he would.

I know if I worked in an environment where I was so routinely ridiculed and villified I certainly would not stick around for even 'fair market' value. I would probably even take less money just to get out.

Per Rotoworld...

And when his sinker quits sinking, he'll be Milton-esque at a more expensive contract.

Pass.

I'd sure like to see the Reds re-sign Dunn before the end of this season to another 3 year contract. With a healthy bump for next year.

I can't see the Reds getting anywhere close to a bat like his in the FA market.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I can't think of a good reason why he would.

I know if I worked in an environment where I was so routinely ridiculed and villified I certainly would not stick around for even 'fair market' value. I would probably even take less money just to get out.
    I honestly think he would be foolish to think it won't be like this other places. Cincinnati is one of the most easy going towns when it comes to their players. Every town will boo him if he does what he does here, even though he is very productive. Washington would be my only guess that they wouldn't.

Chicago boo's their Super Bowl QB.
    Philly boo's everything.
    Larger markets will give more attention to him.

The only thing that might be different is that if the team he is on is good, then they won't worry about him so much. Like when JD Drew was awful earlier in the year, he didn't catch much slack bc the Sawx were on fire.

Turn Off Ads?