Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League Rosters Announced

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Arizona Fall League Rosters Announced

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=l119

Oops....prolly should be in the minor league forum. Sorry Mods.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Arizona Fall League Rosters Announced

Pelland, Roenicke, Viola, Juckich, Tatum, Rosales and Dickerson playing for Surprise.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Calvin Medlock will be with the Scottsdale Scorpians (TOR, TB, ARI, SF, NYM)

Pelland, Roenicke, Viola. IMO these are the Reds three top bullpen prospects right now. Am interested to see how they do.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

whatever happend to the guy that led the fall league and then got flipped for Tony Womack? Did Cano block him from the Yankees?

Just made you have an awful DanO flashback I bet.

whatever happend to the guy that led the fall league and then got flipped for Tony Womack? Did Cano block him from the Yankees?

Just made you have an awful DanO flashback I bet.
    Kevin Howard. I believe he's back toiling in AA in Yankees system.

btw, Fay posted on his blog that Homer will make another start in Sarasota, and if his groin feels fine he will rejoin the Reds in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Kevin Howard. I believe he's back toiling in AA in Yankees system.
    He got released and picked up by Philadelphia. I think he was even kicked down to High-A, too.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

The Reds have generally treated the AFL as a way to shine up the club's marginal prospects as tradebait. This season seems to be no exception.

None of these guys, except maybe Roenicke, are being sent to Arizona because they're somehow promising and missed a significant portion of the season due to injuries.

None are what you'd call a sure-fire top-ten prospect in the organization. It's not meant to be a crack on these players, all of whom I follow and root for, but they're playing for "shine" value.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    btw, Fay posted on his blog that Homer will make another start in Sarasota, and if his groin feels fine he will rejoin the Reds in September.
    This sounds like pretty big news, it deserves its own thread I think. And good for Homer, if he's healthy I can't imagine him being worse than our other options at the back of the rotation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    The Reds have generally treated the AFL as a way to shine up the club's marginal prospects as tradebait. This season seems to be no exception.

None of these guys, except maybe Roenicke, are being sent to Arizona because they're somehow promising and missed a significant portion of the season due to injuries.

None are what you'd call a sure-fire top-ten prospect in the organization. It's not meant to be a crack on these players, all of whom I follow and root for, but they're playing for "shine" value.
    I don't agree. I think Reds are using the Fall League this time to polish some guys who are not quite ready but could be needed in Cincy next year. Particularly the pitchers.

Pelland, Roenicke, and Viola seem to be serious reliever candidates, perhaps the best the Reds have. Roenicke was voted BA's best tools reliever for the Florida State League this year (before his promotion). Pelland and Viola are lefty relievers who have had success, with Pelland a hard thrower. These are scarce commodities that teams don't usually discard.

Jukish did great in the Florida State League later this season. Again, I doubt the Reds are getting ready to dump this pitching prospect. My guess is that they want him to jump to the next level and feel he needs some more innings to help do that.

I'm less sure about the position players. Possible they are being showcased. To me, Dickerson, Tatum and Rosales are similar in that they all are probably major league back-up level guys. Also possible Reds are getting them ready if they are needed to fill-in in Cincy at some point next season.

I wouldn't discount this group. I think some of them are real prospects.

The Reds also need to make 40-man roster decisions on some of these guys -- Rosales, Tatum, Dickerson (will he get another year on the 40-man?), Pelland, I think. The AFL will give them a better read.

I would definitely retain Rosales, Pelland, and Dickerson. They beat the hell out of Jason Ellison, Mike Stanton, Mike Gosling, Eddie Guardado, Kirk Saarloos, and Juan Castro, who are all a waste of a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would definitely retain Rosales, Pelland, and Dickerson. They beat the hell out of Jason Ellison, Mike Stanton, Mike Gosling, Eddie Guardado, Kirk Saarloos, and Juan Castro, who are all a waste of a roster spot.
    They are awesome.

Kevin Howard is here in Jax playing for Dodgers AA team. Have no idea how they got him. Minor League FA if you made me guess.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?