Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Reds' late surge going to put them back in "contend" mode?

Is the Reds' late surge going to put them back in "contend" mode?

Watching the game on TV a few nights ago, they posted a graphic saying the Reds had the best record in the NL for a certain time period.. I think it was since July 3.

This surge will probably save Wayne's job.

I'm wondering if this will postpone the rebuilding process yet another year. While I enjoy the fact that the Reds are winning more, I kind of dread another offseason like we had last year (other than Rule V). Do you think this strong finish will make the Reds "go for it" in 2008?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the Reds' late surge going to put them back in "contend" mode?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm wondering if this will postpone the rebuilding process yet another year. While I enjoy the fact that the Reds are winning more, I kind of dread another offseason like we had last year (other than Rule V). Do you think this strong finish will make the Reds "go for it" in 2008?
    they seem to be "going for it" right now so I don't think they'll look at the off-season as needing to go in a rebuilding mode.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I really dread another rebuilding process. The team has some promise. The defense is improved. The bullpen has shown promise. I believe they are a legitimate number three starter away from being the best team in the weak NL Central.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I really dread another rebuilding process.
    this team has really done one. Instead every year the cobble together a roster to try to win as many games as they can.

I think you're misreading the trend here - slowly, but surely, the Reds have been putting together a core of ballplayers at the ML level and in the minors who can help this club over the long haul. Your mention of rebuilding indicates you believe they will need to tear it down and start over. I don't think that's the case. While we're certainly not "just a few players" away, a nice nucleus is coming on board. Plus, every team should be out there trying to win every game they can. Would you expect any less?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm wondering if this will postpone the rebuilding process yet another year.
    I hope so.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Why would seeing results from some of the younger players he has acquired change what they are attempting to do?

And if you're surged within 6 1/2 games of the division lead, and see alot of inter-division play head in the next 4-5 weeks where anything is possible, then why wouldn't you still be trying to contend? It doesn't mean they are content or are blind to some of the obvious "lack" this team has, such as in the pitching. Or that improvements/changes aren't further needed.

Sure their chances may be slim. But I don't understand why some of you can't simply enjoy what we are currently seeing? Doesn't it provide you with any excitement at all?

I'm enjoying seeing the emergence of some of these yong players, like Bray, Burton, Hamilton, Keppinger, Phillips, and even the imnproved play of EE. These younger players seemed to have re-invigorated the rest of the team. It's been fun to watch them as of late.

I think some of you would pee in the face of a clown.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

They never left "win now" mode.

As for rebuilding, this team hasn't actually done that in the last decade or so it's not something people need to worry about
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    While we're certainly not "just a few players" away
    I do think they are definitely just a few players away, two legit middle of the rotation pitchers.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I do think they are definitely just a few players away, two legit middle of the rotation pitchers.
    ... and at least 2 legit relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I saw FCB commented too, and mentioned two legit relievers, I would agree on both counts. I'd say we're about a handful of better players away. Certainly the starting rotation has to be beefed up. And we absolutely must find consistent, good pitching from our relief corps. I'm liking our bench, which is making us a more solid team (presently I'd put "the bench" for next year as Hopper, Kepplinger, Cantu, Freel, if healthy). And a healthy Freely makes him available. Kepp's play, if for real, gives flexibility if a trade should occur elsewhere. Of course, nothing's certain, but the basic structure is beginning to come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    but the basic structure is beginning to come to life.
    when half your pitching staff are replacement level types or worse I would say the gulf may be wider than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It doesn't mean they are content or are blind to some of the obvious "lack" this team has, such as in the pitching. Or that improvements/changes aren't further needed.
    Based upon Krivsky's history it means exactly that.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    when half your pitching staff are replacement level types or worse I would say the gulf may be wider than you think.
    Oh, I haven't side it's not a tall order - I'd say we need two more good starters and two more solid bullpen arms, that's 40% of your staff essentially. That's a tall order. Now, will some of these young arms we've been collecting this year who have moved up and down from Cincy to Louisville develop into that? Some part of it maybe. I would say we'll have to pick up one or two of those needed additional parts from the free agency pool or in a trade. That is a wide chasm, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Based upon Krivsky's history it means exactly that.

Rem
    the last offseason was that of a GM that was willing to stand pat, although the scarier part is that WK learned enough to go after a middling starter in the free agent market. If he does then throwing 4 years at a starter like Silva is not out of the question. The Reds investing in this market(middling FA starters) would likely be a disaster like it was for mos teams over the last 3-4 years.

Turn Off Ads?