Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Deal- Bruce for Garza

Hypothetical Deal- Bruce for Garza

Purely hypothetical situation (because it would never really happen for so many reasons), but after seeing who was in the majors from the 2005 draft, I got to thinking.

Would you trade Jay Bruce for Matt Garza straight up?

These types of deals never occur in real life, as there is too much to lose for each GM, but this is kind of the same debate we had five years ago about trading Dunn for Beckett. While young pitching is more valuable, it also has a much higher flameout rate. Garza has had great success in his first major league season. Would you pull the trigger on this deal?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hypothetical Deal- Bruce for Garza

No

can't say I would no.

Dunn and Griffey have to be cut down to one player, you'll need a bat and a glove to take the others spot and Bruce offers that option since he's not a one way player.

We need pitching, but losing 2-1 would suck as bad as losing 7-6.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Not a chance. Matt Garza looks good and all, but I think Jay Bruce is a lot more valuable than Matt Garza is.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I would hypothetically do it. I think Jay Bruce has the brighter future, and it's basically a ripoff as far as overall value goes, but I want to compete next year, so I would do the deal. In 2008, I'd have Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey, and Hopper/Freel in the outfield, and on top of that, I'd have Harang, Arroyo, Garza, Bailey, and someone else (Cueto?) in the rotation.

no way
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

In hindsight, do I wish we would have traded Dunn for Beckett? Absolutely
    Will I learn from my "mistake?" Probably not

I'd consider it, and then turn it down. Votto for Garza? Done quicker than a wink.
    Go BLUE!!!

would not do it. Reds would need to get a least one more good player, the attrition rate for young pitchers is too high.

Garza is a good prospect but certainly not at a "Beckett" level.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

It would also leave us short in the outfield. Dunn has a 1 year option for 2008, and Griffey will be here for 2008 plus an option for 2009. I like Hopper and Freel, but I would not want them starting in the outfield. Freel gets injured too much, and Hopper has very little power and usually has a low OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    In hindsight, do I wish we would have traded Dunn for Beckett? Absolutely
    Will I learn from my "mistake?" Probably not

I'd consider it, and then turn it down. Votto for Garza? Done quicker than a wink.
    I think you are onto something with the Votto thing. I would consider flipping Votto + another prospects for Garza in the offseason. Obviously it depends on the prospect, but I would give Votto and a C+/B- type prospect for Garza in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you are onto something with the Votto thing. I would consider flipping Votto + another prospects for Garza in the offseason. Obviously it depends on the prospect, but I would give Votto and a C+/B- type prospect for Garza in all likelihood.
    It would take more than that IMO. I think you'd be looking at Votto and Encarnacion, and even that may not be enough for the Twinkies.

However, I think Votto by himself could possibly net a Kevin Slowey or a Scott Baker.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-28-2007 at 02:21 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

The Reds currently have good outfielders next year, and meanwhile, oh-so-valuable pitching is where the most help is needed. I would trade just about anyone for Matt Garza, even though I don't think he's an ace.

No... straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It would take more than that IMO. I think you'd be looking at Votto and Encarnacion, and even that may not be enough for the Twinkies.

However, I think Votto by himself could possibly net a Kevin Slowey or a Scott Baker.
    Probably true.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I don't think I'd trade Jay Bruce straight up for any minor-league pitcher currently in existence. A major-league one, maybe, but not a minor-leaguer.

Turn Off Ads?