Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger as the every day shortshop?

Keppinger as the every day shortshop?

I would have thought that surely that answer would be no (and maybe it still is) but he as played SS well defensively in every game I have seen and the sample size is growing larger. What are your thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keppinger as the every day shortshop?

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    I would have thought that surely that answer would be no (and maybe it still is) but he as played SS well defensively in every game I have seen and the sample size is growing larger. What are your thoughts?
    He has no range but his bat is pretty valuable. I think id rather have the bat than the defense.

I want Keppinger as a starter somewhere; I just do not know if he has the range for shortstop.

He would be fine at SS. His bat more than makes up for any lack of range. He needs to be our everyday SS next year. We need to unload Alex and his contract.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    He has no range but his bat is pretty valuable. I think id rather have the bat than the defense.
    Keep thinking that and tell me someday how a team with terrible Defense wins a championship.. your ignorance oozes from every orifice, and you lose more credibility as an able bodied citizen by the day.. I know it is your opinion.. but please tell me you are drinking when you say this...

as you can tell us being in the top tier of run scorers the past 5 or 8 years.. obviously have paid off with winning ways.. obviously..

Keppinger should be playing third when gonzo comes back and you package freel and EE to a team that you can talk into taking those two..

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    He would be fine at SS. His bat more than makes up for any lack of range. He needs to be our everyday SS next year. We need to unload Alex and his contract.
    If keppinger can hit .350 or higher for a whole season.. he will make more than Gonzalez makes.. soo why not keep gonzo and dump EE?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    Keep thinking that and tell me someday how a team with terrible Defense wins a championship.. your ignorance oozes from every orifice, and you lose more credibility as an able bodied citizen by the day.. I know it is your opinion.. but please tell me you are drinking when you say this...

as you can tell us being in the top tier of run scorers the past 5 or 8 years.. obviously have paid off with winning ways.. obviously..

Keppinger should be playing third when gonzo comes back and you package freel and EE to a team that you can talk into taking those two..
    We arent talking about terrible D from Keppinger though. He doesnt have range to be an every day SS but its not like hes out there screwing up all the time either.

I think EE is coming around and I would rather keep him at his price and Have Kep at SS at his price. Kep won't be making Gonzo money anytime real soon.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I think EE is coming around and I would rather keep him at his price and Have Kep at SS at his price. Kep won't be making Gonzo money anytime real soon.
    I agree completely. I see no reason to think that Keppinger won't continue to play decent/above average shortstop...and, for the life of me, WHY do some people want to trade Edwin to keep an automatic out like Gonze. Maybe they have horsepoo for brains???

Right, he has what two more years at league minimum. It should be 2010 before he is even eligable for arbitration. By then, Gonzo's contract will have expired. Keppinger will be much cheaper than Gonzo, even if he hits .400. If you think he can be average (or maybe even slightly below) at SS, I think you move Gonzo. You don't move EE unless you get good young talent back. He is also cheap relative to production.

Why on earth would you start Keppinger over Gonzo? That makes about as much sense as starting Valentin over Ross.

You go with who produces, and this year, that distinction clearly goes to Gonzo and Ross. I mean sure Kep is tearing the cover off of the ball and is playing good defense too. And sure Valentin is also hitting well and has shown that his defense is not nearly as bad as advertised. If that is what you call "production," then I don't know what to tell you. I see the fear in the eyes of opposing pitchers when Gonzo or Ross step into the batters box. Thats all I need to know. You stay with what works and if it aint broke don't fix it.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Reds Fan View Post
    Why on earth would you start Keppinger over Gonzo? That makes about as much sense as starting Valentin over Ross.

You go with who produces, and this year, that distinction clearly goes to Gonzo and Ross. I mean sure Kep is tearing the cover off of the ball and is playing good defense too. And sure Valentin is also hitting well and has shown that his defense is not nearly as bad as advertised. If that is what you call "production," then I don't know what to tell you. I see the fear in the eyes of opposing pitchers when Gonzo or Ross step into the batters box. Thats all I need to know. You stay with what works and if it aint broke don't fix it.
    Ross?? You gotta be kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Ross?? You gotta be kidding.
    Yes, dude, I think he WAS kidding!

If they are going to start Keppinger, I'd rather give Phillips a shot playing ss and let Kepp man 2nd. Although Im sure the reds don't want to tinker with their one gold glove caliber defender, and I can't say I blame them.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-30-2007 at 07:55 AM.

No. Got to quit over-valuing players, a la Ryan Freel. Keppinger is a nice piece and quality to have on your squad. He's not an everyday shortstop (lack of range). He's not even a given for this level of production on a regular basis. Earlier this year folks were gaga over Brendan Harris' production.

Having said that, I like the younger group of players being assembled - Cantu, Hamilton, Phillips, Keppinger, Edwin.

Turn Off Ads?