Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mussina out of Yanks' rotation

Mussina out of Yanks' rotation

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnered=rss_mlb

I thought he'd at least get his next start against Tampa Bay. It's understandable -- three horrific starts in a row -- but still a bit of a shock in its own way.

Mussina doesn't have the postseason reputation that, say, Pettitte does, but is it wrong of me that I'd still take a chance of throwing him out there in the postseason even more than the regular season?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mussina out of Yanks' rotation

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Mussina doesn't have the postseason reputation that, say, Pettitte does, but is it wrong of me that I'd still take a chance of throwing him out there in the postseason even more than the regular season?
    I wouldn't, unless he shows something between now and the end of the season. Right now he's flat out awful.

Interesting to see that the Yanks have now called up Hughes, Chamberlain and now Kennedy in the same season. I've never seen Kennedy pitch, but reports here are that scouts like him better than Chamberlain.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Mussina still has another year left on his contract and it sure seems as if the Yankees are souring on him with all the youngsters coming up and another free agency season approaching.

If we can't find a veteran in free agency to shore up the rotation, who's up for trading for Mussina?

I think a Harang/Arroyo/Mussina/Bailey/Cueto rotation next season could make for a very good season.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post

If we can't find a veteran in free agency to shore up the rotation, who's up for trading for Mussina?
    Only if the yankees pay 90% of the deal.
    Go Gators!

Mussina still has another year left on his contract and it sure seems as if the Yankees are souring on him with all the youngsters coming up and another free agency season approaching.

I think a Harang/Arroyo/Mussina/Bailey/Cueto rotation next season could make for a very good season.
    I think the Yankees have a few games to go before they truly sour on him, especially given how deep Boston's pitching has been this year. I should note that Mussina's likely going to miss only one start; if he comes back and performs strongly, the Yankees will hold onto him, and if he doesn't, he's not particularly worth trading for at his age.

I feel it somehow necessary to add that I worship Mike Mussina. I don't mean to blaspheme him.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

IIRC, Mussina is due to make around $12 million or thereabouts in 2008, which puts his salary about a wash with Griffey's salary, though if you include Griffey's deferred salary then Griffey probably makes slightly more than Mussina.

While this would never happen, it would be a bit interesting next season if the Reds moved Griffey, brought up Bruce in his place to form a Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton outfield and then put the savings from Griffey's 2008 salary toward a year of Mike Mussina. I'm not so sure I'd want that to necessarily happen myself, but if it did there would be an interesting angle for the 2008 squad.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I feel it somehow necessary to add that I worship Mike Mussina. I don't mean to blaspheme him.
    Mussina's a deserving Hall of Famer, but I'm not so sure he'll actually get in and that'll be a shame. He's one of those guys who's perceived as borderline though he really shouldn't be borderline any longer, and he could have done himself a huge favor regarding his Hall status by having a very nice 2007 season.

Mussina's problem this year is twofold: a declining strikeout rate (his problem) and a surging BABIP (likely just bad luck). Mussina's always had a strikeout rate around 7 per 9 innings, but this season it's down to 5.53. Combine that with a .341 BABIP, and it's easy to see the rough season he's having. The good thing for him is his home run and walk rates are right at his career norms.

I must say, if Mussina could see a rebound in his strikeout rate next year and get it back near 7 while maintaining his home run and walk rates, then mix in a league average BABIP all the above, he'd be a guy primed for a nice comeback season.

Unfortunately he'll be 39 this December, and he may be past the age for anymore comeback seasons.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-29-2007 at 03:23 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I've seen him pitch enough this year to know that I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Reds. On his best day he might get you to the seventh inning. His fastball has slowed down and that has hurt the effectivenss of his offspeed stuff. He's usually up around 100 pitches around the 5th-6th inning (if he makes it that long). His BABIP is high because most of those BIP are line drives. I think he's getting $18 or $19 million next year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    While this would never happen, it would be a bit interesting next season if the Reds moved Griffey, brought up Bruce in his place to form a Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton outfield and then put the savings from Griffey's 2008 salary toward a year of Mike Mussina. I'm not so sure I'd want that to necessarily happen myself, but if it did there would be an interesting angle for the 2008 squad.
    Or better yet. The Yankees let Abreu walk and take Griffey for Mussina in a straight up deal.

It would be the type of Big Splash the Yankees like to make and the Reds would be off the hook for the $4 Million buy-out of Griffey's 2009 option.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Or better yet. The Yankees let Abreu walk and take Griffey for Mussina in a straight up deal.

It would be the type of Big Splash the Yankees like to make and the Reds would be off the hook for the $4 Million buy-out of Griffey's 2009 option.
    If there is 1 player in all of baseball I'd love to see in a Reds uniform, it's Bobby Abreu.

Turn Off Ads?