Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yesterday was Classic Reds

Yesterday was Classic Reds

Making a push in the division and get smacked around by a cellar dweller.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yesterday was Classic Reds

If you've been a Reds fan long enough, that's the way they have been for awhile now.
    It used to be in the 80's they could gaurantee a win from the likes of the the Braves. Now they are almost certain to beat the league leaders and get swept by the cellar teams.

The 1999 series at Milwaukee to end the season comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanWC View Post
    The 1999 series at Milwaukee to end the season comes to mind
    You had to remind me.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

So what if we were 6.5 games out? Big deal. We may have been 6.5 games out but still doesn't change the fact that we're still a terrible team. Sure we could say we could make the playoffs but does anyone actually think we deserve to go much less win a series? I don't know why so many people get upset over this.

Anything can happen once you get there.

The Pirates have been playing as well as we had coming into the series.

They are what they are and thats a 76 win team nothing more nothing less. Actually making the playoffs this year would set the team back even further for next year, ownership might think that the team is actually good and not make any changes. The Reds have 2 good starters and rest of the rotation is terrible, how can a team win with Shearn, Rameriz, Dumatrait getting consistant starts?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

they can win by bringing in majewski, coffey and stanton, thats the tried and true formula

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    they can win by bringing in majewski, coffey and stanton, thats the tried and true formula
    Amen.

Every time I see The Magic Man coming in, I know its an automatic notch in the win column.

And Coffey. So much potential. Maybe if he ran a little faster to the mound, that would push him over the edge, spilling onto greatness. Pay attention folks, you are watching a future HOFer. Wait a minute, if he really is a lock for the HOF... I wonder why he even bothers hustling then? That's KGJ 101.

Stanton? Why I bet he could pitch ANOTHER 65 years easily. Watching him pitch...he makes it look so easy. Perfection should be so attainable.
    Last edited by Ludwig Reds Fan; 08-29-2007 at 05:35 PM.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    Yesterday was Classic Reds

No.

This is classic Reds:

And this is Classic Reds:

What we saw yesterday was the same nonsense we have all been sitting through for 10 years and counting. The "little red wagon" is right. I miss the Machine. Courage, Charisma, Talent, Amphetamines, ...well, 3 out of 4 were good. Oh yeah, and they won. A lot. I don't know what I have been watching for the past 10 years but after a while it all starts to look like 1982. Maybe Tom Hume really is the answer to our bullpen woes?
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Reds Fan View Post
    Amen.

Every time I see The Magic Man coming in, I know its an automatic notch in the win column.

And Coffey. So much potential. Maybe if he ran a little faster to the mound, that would push him over the edge, spilling onto greatness. Pay attention folks, you are watching a future HOFer. Wait a minute, if he really is a lock for the HOF... I wonder why he even bothers hustling then? That's KGJ 101.

Stanton? Why I bet he could pitch ANOTHER 65 years easily. Watching him pitch...he makes it look so easy. Perfection should be so attainable.
    The others deserve all that. Gary Majewski has been effective in August, and should continue to do well in September. I think he could be an effective reliever for the Reds next year.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The others deserve all that. Gary Majewski has been effective in August, and should continue to do well in September. I think he could be an effective reliever for the Reds next year.
    He continues to scare me when he comes in because he ,like coffey, seems to hittable.
    Burton last night impressed me after giving up a run, bouncing back like he did.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    He continues to scare me when he comes in because he ,like coffey, seems to hittable.
    Burton last night impressed me after giving up a run, bouncing back like he did.
    Majik is a ground ball pitcher, like Coffey.

See proof below:

Majik in 2006 - 84 GO to 48 AO - 1.85 ratio (34 Ks)
    50% of his outs came via the ground ball
    Majik in 2007 - 29 Go to 17 AO - 1.88 ratio (7 Ks)
    55% of his outs came via the ground ball
    Coffey in 2006 - 104 GO to 66 AO - 1.71 ratio (60 Ks)
    45% of his outs came via the gound ball
    Coffey in 2007 - 66 GO to 32 AO - 2.38 ratio (36 Ks)
    49% of his outs came via the ground ball

These are "pitch-to-contact" guys more than anything else. Dan-O would be proud. So, as I see it, the point is to be hittable. When it's hit at defenders, swell. When it's hit over the fence, not so good.
    Last edited by Dunner44; 08-31-2007 at 02:11 PM.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    When it's hit over the fence, not so good.
    or in the gap , or down the line, or off the wall, or oh well unless you have a Brandon Webb sinker, I am not a big fan of the pitch contact thing.

Turn Off Ads?