Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cantu so far

Cantu so far

.471 OBP, .400 BA, 1K, 2BBs, 15 at bats. A homer and 4 RBIs.

Pretty good, in very small sample.

Not feeling a lot of love for Cantu on RedsZone so far. But he could be another good WK inexpensive pickup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cantu so far

I agree completely with that. I think Cantu will end up being a good find for us, especially in our ballpark.

I don't think there is a lot of concern for his bat, its more his defense.

Wayne K has touted pitching and defense since day one of arriving and he's brought in Cantu who has frankly scared me at times at first. He just looks uncomfortable out there. He could grow into the position and allow a trade of Votto to help balance the left hand heavy line up though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not feeling a lot of love for Cantu on RedsZone so far. But he could be another good WK inexpensive pickup.
    Or he could be another bust. 15 at-bats isn't enough time to show love or disdain, really. I hope he grows into a decent fielding and hitting first baseman for the Reds though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I don't think there is a lot of concern for his bat, its more his defense.

Wayne K has touted pitching and defense since day one of arriving and he's brought in Cantu who has frankly scared me at times at first. He just looks uncomfortable out there. He could grow into the position and allow a trade of Votto to help balance the left hand heavy line up though.
    I for one have a lot of concern for his bat. Even at his best he makes outs way too frequently. I want better from a guy that will be getting significant playing time, especially at 1b.

He is Brandon Phillips 'lite' without the speed or glove. He looks way more valuable offensively than he actually is.

That's not to say I am against the aquisition, but I don't want him pulling down regular ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I for one have a lot of concern for his bat. Even at his best he makes outs way too frequently. I want better from a guy that will be getting significant playing time, especially at 1b.
    That's a good point. Even in his "breakout" year in 2005, his OPS was only .808. That's not much for a 1B. He is young though so maybe he can push that up towards .850 or better with more playing time. It would likely require a major boost in slugging because he is definitely OBP-challenged.

If Cantu is used primarily as a platoon 1B, I've got no problem with him (provided he hits, which is not a given). I won't be happy if he becomes more than a fallback option at 2B or 3B. He's the type of player I'd prefer to see used too little than used too much.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Well, my concern is more about his glove than his bat, that should have been the phrasing used.

No he's not an elite hitter, TB wouldn't have given him away if he was, but his hitting [in my estimation] is superior to his fielding.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Or he could be another bust. 15 at-bats isn't enough time to show love or disdain, really. I hope he grows into a decent fielding and hitting first baseman for the Reds though.
    I don't think it's really possible to be a big bust when you were acquired for virtually nothing. I am on the record as very much liking this pickup, in a similar very low risk high reward type fashion as Brandon Phillips and Josh Hamilton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

No he's not an elite hitter, TB wouldn't have given him away if he was, but his hitting [in my estimation] is superior to his fielding.

of course tampa gave up on josh hamilton so what do they know?

maybe they will give up on young and kazmier.:
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    of course tampa gave up on josh hamilton so what do they know?

maybe they will give up on young and kazmier.:
    If they do, I hope Wayne is there to offer Jeff Keppinger [Brendan Harris Pt2] and scoop them both up.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's the type of player I'd prefer to see used too little than used too much.
    Boy that's a phrase that can't be said enough about any number of players the Reds have trotted out of the last half dozen plus seasons. Unfortunately, though, the opposite is what tends to happen more often than not.

BTW, that phrase fits my take on Jorge Cantu, as well.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'll be curious to see if Cantu evolves into a more patient hitter. The Devil Rays have always seemed to have an organizational culture of encouraging aggressive hacking. I don't know if they preach it or if it's just the type of hitter they pursue. The Reds have a more balanced profile of aggressiveness versus patience. Maybe if he sees that walks aren't sneered at in the dugout, he'll get more selective. He had a very good at-bat last night that ended in a walk. Of course, at 25, it's a question as to how much he can change.
    Not all who wander are lost

WAY too small of a sample size to be making any judgements. He had better rake if he wants even the platoon part of a 1B job.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

As long as he doesn't see time at any other IF spot then 1st then go Cantu
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?