Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday August 29th minor league updates

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Wednesday August 29th minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Frazier actually did move up. He went 1-4 with a double tonight for the Dayton Dragons.
    Ah thanks, when did this happen?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Why would Francisco go back to Dayton? I would imagine Francisco in Sarasota and Waring in Dayton. Not sure where Bartles fits in. I'm predicting 50 homers out of Waring though no matter where he starts.
    I'd send Frazier and Francisco both to Sarasota, and I'd move Francisco off of 3B and over to either 1B or a corner OF slot. I'm undecided if Waring should head to Dayton or Sarasota. I would send Bartles to Dayton.

Frazier was a big time college hitter who takes a ton of walks and has destroyed the Pioneer League much like Dorn destroyed the Pioneer League last season (though Dorn was a complete beast last season). My take is once it's obvious a guy like Frazier has been able to get acclimated to wood bats and made the transition, he can be pushed a bit faster since he was a big time college hitter.

A key question is should Waring head to Sarasota with Frazier?

Of course, if Frazier, Waring and Francisco all head to Sarasota, there's an issue on what to do with Valaika and Turner in the Sarasota infield. Turner will be 23 in November, but just got promoted to Sarasota. Valaika's younger and raked at Dayton, but he's been awful so far in Sarasota. Does one of them start the year at Chattanooga? If not, then somebody in that infield among Frazier, Waring, Turner, and Valaika better find an outfield glove. I'd rather not hold Frazier or Waring back at Dayton just because they're stuck behind Valaika/Turner.

Cozart's also probably in the mix, but he's been awful so far in Dayton so I'm guessing there's no worries about him moving up anytime soon.

The Reds are in a nice position of having some very interesting infield prospects in the mix. Hopefully each guy gets sent where the Reds believe they really belong rather than somebody starting out at a level they shouldn't be at because of depth issues at the level where they really should be at.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Ah thanks, when did this happen?
    Tonight was his first game.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If not, then somebody in that infield among Frazier, Waring, Turner, and Valaika better find an outfield glove.
    My money is on Waring given the little I've seen. He's been somewhat of a butcher down at third. Plus, he K's a lot, has solid OB skills and massive power. If he moved to LF we would have an Adam Dunn replacement:
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 08-30-2007 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    My money is on Waring given the little I've seen. He's been somewhat of a butcher down at third. Plus, he K's a lot, has solid OB skills and massive power. If he moved to LF we would have an Adam Dunn replacement:
    Fair enough then on Waring.

How about Heisey? He's only had about 50 PAs in Sarasota this season. Does he stay there coming out of spring training? I suppose it's also very possible (probable even?) that Stubbs comes out of spring training in Sarasota.

Think about that possibility ... Francisco (1B), Turner, Valaika, Frazier in the Sarasota infield with Stubbs, Waring, and Heisey in the Sarasota outfield (or send Waring to 1B and Francisco to the corner OF). Regardless, in terms of position player prospects, that would be one heck of a team to follow coming out of spring training.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Fair enough then on Waring.

How about Heisey? He's only had about 50 PAs in Sarasota this season. Does he stay there coming out of spring training? I suppose it's also very possible (probable even?) that Stubbs comes out of spring training in Sarasota.

Think about that possibility ... Francisco (1B), Turner, Valaika, Frazier in the Sarasota infield with Stubbs, Waring, and Heisey in the Sarasota outfield (or send Waring to 1B and Francisco to the corner OF). Regardless, in terms of position player prospects, that would be one heck of a team to follow coming out of spring training.
    Wayne is increasing the talent level at both the major and minor leagues. Why does he continue to get a bad wrap?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Wayne is increasing the talent level at both the major and minor leagues. Why does he continue to get a bad wrap?
    Because of (1) the Kearns/Lopez trade, which has actually turned out OK; and (2) keeping players like Castro and Ellison. It used to be Hopper, but now he's OK too.

I agree that the minor leagues are looking quite a bit better. The transformation of the Chattanooga squad has been especially interesting lately.

Wayne is criticized harshly because, like anywhere, fans think they know better. The more things change, the more fans stay the same.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Because of (1) the Kearns/Lopez trade, which has actually turned out OK; and (2) keeping players like Castro and Ellison. It used to be Hopper, but now he's OK too.
    If those are the worst attributes of a GM, I'll take him. Especially when you look at what he has brought in. I think Wayne gets a horrendously bad yet completely undeseserved rap around these parts.

The talent pool has increased significantly at the major league level.
    The talent pool has increased significantly at the minor league level.

Isn't that about all you can ask for out of your GM?
    Go BLUE!!!

FWIW, here's how I would start next year:

Sarasota:
    1B Francisco
    2B Turner
    SS Valaika
    3B Frazier
    OF: Heisy
    Stubbs
    Kainer
    DH: L.Parker

Dayton:
    1B: Waring
    2B: Gaffney
    SS: Cozart
    3B: Bartles
    OF: Soto
    J.Reed
    K.Jones
    DH: M.McKennon

(assuming Bartles is a better fielder than Soto; you could flip/flop Soto and Waring)
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-30-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sarasota:
    1B Francisco
    2B Turner
    SS Valaika
    3B Frazier
    OF: Heisy
    Stubbs
    Kainer
    DH: L.Parker

Dayton:
    1B: Waring
    2B: Gaffney
    SS: Cozart
    3B: Bartles
    OF: Soto
    J.Reed
    K.Jones
    DH: M.McKennon

(assuming Bartles is a better fielder than Soto; you could flip/flop Soto and Waring)
    Parker also played some OF at UC so you can work him in out there, too. Gaffney has been converted to pitcher. I think you'll see Angel Cabrera at Dayton. And I'm not sure they'll push Soto or even Reed there right away. Brandon Menchaca has had some good moments in Billings this summer -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the Dayton OF.

What about catchers? I'd assume Esquer/Rodriguez in Sarasota and some combination of Long/Bour/Meade in Dayton.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Parker also played some OF at UC so you can work him in out there, too. Gaffney has been converted to pitcher. I think you'll see Angel Cabrera at Dayton. And I'm not sure they'll push Soto or even Reed there right away. Brandon Menchaca has had some good moments in Billings this summer -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the Dayton OF.

What about catchers? I'd assume Esquer/Rodriguez in Sarasota and some combination of Long/Bour/Meade in Dayton.

Wow, I didn't realize that about Gaffney. Thanks for the info.

Where do you think Soto will end up?
    Go BLUE!!!

Where do you think Soto will end up?
    First, I'd like to know why he hasn't been playing. If he's got a significant injury, it'll delay his development, obviously. But I suspect we'd have heard if that was the case. Assuming he's OK, I will guess it'll be Billings. But I do think he's got the best chance of any of the young guys (including Lotzkar) of going to Dayton because his bat looks like it may be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    First, I'd like to know why he hasn't been playing. If he's got a significant injury, it'll delay his development, obviously. But I suspect we'd have heard if that was the case. Assuming he's OK, I will guess it'll be Billings. But I do think he's got the best chance of any of the young guys (including Lotzkar) of going to Dayton because his bat looks like it may be really good.
    Right, I was actually more curious as to where on the diamond you think he'll end up. Doesn't sound like he's got the glove for SS, and with the glut at 3B (Francisco/Waring/Bartles/Frazier) I'd guess its either 1B, 2B or the OF.
    Go BLUE!!!

Right, I was actually more curious as to where on the diamond you think he'll end up. Doesn't sound like he's got the glove for SS, and with the glut at 3B (Francisco/Waring/Bartles/Frazier) I'd guess its either 1B, 2B or the OF.
    Yeah, he'll likely move, but like Frazier, it may not be right away. I think they like to keep guys at SS for a year or two if they can. So, I think it's feasible that to start 08 Frazier will be at SS at Dayton and Soto will be at SS when Billings opens. But, down the road, when/if he moves, as you say -- my guess is LF, but I keep him in the 3B hunt. No way on 2B.

Turn Off Ads?