Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about a FAQ Forum?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

How about a FAQ Forum?

The discussion of creating a new Sabermetrics FAQ gave me an idea.
    How about creating a FAQ forum containing just the FAQ threads?

As others have pointed out, the FAQ threads need to be updated. And ideally, a FAQ should be a living document that's updated continuously with lots of input from the membership.. The discussion in this forum should also be confined to topics that are FAQ-worthy. The current FAQ has a good range of topics. To that end, set the privileges in the forum to allow no new threads to be started, but allow any post to be edited by its poster at any time... similar to a wiki.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: How about a FAQ Forum?

I like the idea I think that could work

I think that's an excellent idea. It would be a lot easier to see for folks who aren't accustomed to this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I also like the idea. The only issue I see is that I don't believe it's possible to set separate edit time limits among forums, so threads would have to be updated by making new posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I also like the idea. The only issue I see is that I don't believe it's possible to set separate edit time limits among forums, so threads would have to be updated by making new posts.
    If the editing time limits are global, would you consider designating some moderators for the FAQ forum?

It'll be easier for folks who haven't read the FAQ before to follow it if the first post contains the important information from the rest of the thread. If no new threads can be started, moderating in that forum seems like it would be more about updating and adding content in the first post in the thread than managing the discussion.

I would volunteer for that duty.
    /r/reds

I found a vBulletin addon the allows for separate edit time limts in different forums. New threads require admin or moderator approval prior to appearing in the forum, but replies to existing threads can be made at any time.

I created the new forum and anyone interested is free to get the ball rolling.

I found a vBulletin addon the allows for separate edit time limts in different forums. New threads require admin or moderator approval prior to appearing in the forum, but replies to existing threads can be made at any time.

I created the new forum and anyone interested is free to get the ball rolling.
    Sounds like a good solution.

I just submitted a thread to that forum with the first batch of questions. Let's see if we can get the new FAQ rolling.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Sounds like a good solution.

I just submitted a thread to that forum with the first batch of questions. Let's see if we can get the new FAQ rolling.
    We might want to look at the old FAQs and see if there is any thing we can salvage or update. I started with something that has not really changed and that is the basic seating arrangement at GABP.

Working on a good response to Will Call (in getting tickets) since I've had a few 'zoners that have never used the service...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    We might want to look at the old FAQs and see if there is any thing we can salvage or update. I started with something that has not really changed and that is the basic seating arrangement at GABP.
    I agree. My once-a-year trips to GABP don't give me enough insight to know what is still true from the old FAQ about the area, so I must rely on you local folks to supply that wisdom.
    /r/reds

Would you consider allowing unlimited editing of posts in that forum? I'd like to copy the answers into the first post.
    /r/reds

Would you consider allowing unlimited editing of posts in that forum? I'd like to copy the answers into the first post.
    That's what it's set to allow.

That's what it's set to allow.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think the plugin's working. There's no "Edit" button on my first post in the thread.
    /r/reds

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think the plugin's working. There's no "Edit" button on my first post in the thread.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136448

After reading the above thread, I see that it unfortunately does not currently work with this version of vBulletin. I'll monitor that thread in case that changes. Thanks for the info.

Turn Off Ads?