Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Cincinnati....

Moving to Cincinnati....

Ok boys and girls, the wife has finally given the go ahead to move to the 'nati [or greater Cincinnati area at least].

So as with most things, I come to those in the know for help and or advice.

Does anyone on this board have any affiliation with Cincinnati Childrens Hospital? She's applied for several jobs there. She's imminently qualified...Masters Degree, 5 years of working for the public via the local Police Department as a Grant Writer/Financial Admin and she's looking for any sort of help we can get in securing a job there, or any other similar type position if anyone has or knows of an opening.

Me, I'm a CAD guy, design, development, project management type deals. I've had a lot of experience in retail store design for example. [Yes I'd love to work on the banks project].

We're neighborhood shopping as well, and will listen to any suggestions anyone has on those.

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions given, and if you don't want to reveal where you work to the general masses, but think you might be able to help, feel free to PM me.

Thanks Redszone!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving to Cincinnati....

In terms of where you'd like to live, are you looking for rural, suburban or urban? What's important to you and Mrs. Joseph in terms of your neighborhood?

Safety.

In more serious terms, we want a house rather than the apartment route or anything because of the whole cliche about being able to put a nail in a wall without getting permission.

I don't mind suburbs and subdivision as long as they aren't complete carbon copy houses [being a designer I hate a lack of originality] and I don't want to live in one of those places where I can reach out my window and knock on my neighbors. I love a little land, 3, 4, 5 acres, and she'd love a pool [though thats not a neighborhood thing lol] and I know those type lots are hard to find over all.

So I guess rural/suburban are our bag a little more. We don't have kids yet and are in our early 30's, so we plan to become social creatures once there and try to go out with folks here and there, but I'm not opposed to driving to get to those type areas if need be.

So I guess rural/suburban are our bag a little more. We don't have kids yet and are in our early 30's, so we plan to become social creatures once there and try to go out with folks here and there, but I'm not opposed to driving to get to those type areas if need be.
    Where do you live now?

I ask because you sound like you need to be near places that aren't only accessible by crowded 100 year old roads and the such (so I guess Blanchester and Goshen are too rural)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Me, I'm a CAD guy, design, development, project management type deals. I've had a lot of experience in retail store design for example. [Yes I'd love to work on the banks project].
    Be sure to take a look at these guys.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I live in a little community in South Central Kentucky called Bowling Green. We're about an hour north of Nashville TN and about 2 hours south of Louisville. We have about 10 acres now just for privacy sake and thats why I'm hesitant to want to move into a cookie cutter subdivision if at all possible.

I'm sure our wants are a tall order, but you never know unless you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Be sure to take a look at these guys.
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice and creative company that would be right up my alley.

I live in a little community in South Central Kentucky called Bowling Green. We're about an hour north of Nashville TN and about 2 hours south of Louisville. We have about 10 acres now just for privacy sake and thats why I'm hesitant to want to move into a cookie cutter subdivision if at all possible.

That's Sam Bush country

WOY and I grew up in Mariemont which is on the east side just outside city limits. It's the definition of un-hip but being the first planned community in the US I suppose it is interesting from a design standpoint.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I've been to BG many times. I guess I am biased, but the Milford area (east side) might be worth considering. There are a number of "cookie cutter" divisions, so you have to be carefull, but there's also plenty of original houses, land, space, etc.

East of the Eastgate area is developing rapidly so it's a nice mixture of psedu-rural with close promiximty to shopping, stores, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's Sam Bush country
    I wasn't aware that we had another Sam Bush fan on this board..
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are quite a few.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are quite a few.
    Here here.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'll toss out my two cents worth. If your wife will be working at Children's, that's down towards town. I've lived in the city for nearly thirty years now. It's not without it's problems, but then, in some ways, there's nowhere that doesn't have problems. We live in Winton Place, now called Spring Grove Village. It's a mixed neighbhorhood, second only to Mt. Airy as the most racially diverse neighborhood in Cincinnati. Some nice older housing stock here. Mt. Airy is also a nice area and parts of College Hill (the streets that are called "the woods" in College Hill have some fantastic houses (Hollywood, Loiswood, etc.) These city neighborhoods are all convenient to Clifton and, more so, here we're only eight minutes from downtown and GABP (assuming traffic's moving). On the east side, Hyde Park, Pleasant Ridge and Mt. Lookout have some great areas two and are mirrors to the western communities I mentioned earlier.

Outside the city, Finneytown continues to have some nice areas and is still close by Clifton.
    Beyond that, Maineville and Loveland and Mariemont (which Pedro mentioned earlier) are some nice areas that aren't quite city and are nice suburbs. Probably Madeira and Kenwood too.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Hell yeah, 20 years plus. On another note, my buddy's uncle was Sam's doctor when he was growing up.

Turn Off Ads?