Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs & Reds complete deal

Ya can't teach speed...

Cubs & Reds complete deal

CHICAGO -- The Cubs sent outfielder Buck Coats to the Reds for a player to be named. Coats, 25, was originally drafted by the Cubs in the 18th round of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft. He hit .303 this year with Triple-A Iowa, with 21 doubles, 11 home runs and 59 RBIs.

Hmmm, another outfielder, just what the Reds need; albiet one that it appears can hit a little.

Any speculation on who the player to be named will be? Which by the way seems a bit odd to me. Why do a player to be named later on a minor league transaction...unless of course the player to be named is currently on the Major League roster.
    Last edited by Triples; 08-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Cubs & Reds complete deal

Right or left handed?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Right or left handed?
    Left of course

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lefty.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lefty.
    Can't say I'm surprised

We seem to have a love for lefties....except for pitching-wise.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So where does Coats fall into the Reds plans.
    Current other lefty outfielders in AA/AAA
    Jay Bruce
    Joey Votto (he is playing there enough to make me think they really could be moving him there)
    Danny Dorn
    Chris Dickerson

and now Buck Coats.

There is only so much left handedness to go around, and I think the Reds have a lock on it in the minor leagues.

Extra outfielder type, but lefthanded. Can run. Krivsky in collection mode on these guys -- Sean Henry, Shaun Cumberland, now Coats. Strong competition for Chris Dickerson.

Ya can't teach speed...

Is he trying to create trade bait? Or is just the guy they need for that championship stretch run:

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Extra outfielder type, but lefthanded. Can run. Krivsky in collection mode on these guys -- Sean Henry, Shaun Cumberland, now Coats. Strong competition for Chris Dickerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Is he trying to create trade bait? Or is just the guy they need for that championship stretch run:
    Well Krivsky has said on several occassions that he is always in for making deals that better the organization. Be it short term, long term or trade bait he obviously thinks the kid has enough value to warrant making a deal as opposed to letting him clear waivers.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

September callup.

You could do worse for a PTBNL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think Dickerson will be traded by Opening Day 2008.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think Dickerson will be traded by Opening Day 2008.
    I agree with this. When they decided to bring in Ellison instead of promoting Dickerson, they made it pretty plain that they had no future plans for Chris. He projects as a 4/5 outfielder that can cover center. They needed a right handed version of that and instead of bringing up Dickerson, they brought in Ellison

There is actually a pretty frair amount of deadwood on the 40 man roster right now. Can't imagine what they'll use Juan "soft hands" for. Now that they've actually seen Keppinger play, the whole Pedro Lopez thing looks kind of stupid. I know he has a weekend start, but unless he starts impressing people Phil Dumatrait is pretty much out of the organization now too.

That's not even looking at the guys in the bullpen.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I agree with this. When they decided to bring in Ellison instead of promoting Dickerson, they made it pretty plain that they had no future plans for Chris. He projects as a 4/5 outfielder that can cover center. They needed a right handed version of that and instead of bringing up Dickerson, they brought in Ellison

There is actually a pretty frair amount of deadwood on the 40 man roster right now. Can't imagine what they'll use Juan "soft hands" for. Now that they've actually seen Keppinger play, the whole Pedro Lopez thing looks kind of stupid. I know he has a weekend start, but unless he starts impressing people Phil Dumatrait is pretty much out of the organization now too.

That's not even looking at the guys in the bullpen.
    How does acquiring Lopez "look stupid"? It might ultimately prove to have been needless, but I don't think you can acquire enough possible prospects throughout your system. Ultimately picking up plums from time to time allow you to move other players for more valuable pieces down the line. If some of the pick ups this season of minor leaguers makes Dickerson expendable and brings us something, then that helps the organization. The same may prove to be true of Lopez.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    When they decided to bring in Ellison instead of promoting Dickerson, they made it pretty plain that they had no future plans for Chris. He projects as a 4/5 outfielder that can cover center. They needed a right handed version of that and instead of bringing up Dickerson, they brought in Ellison

I know he has a weekend start, but unless he starts impressing people Phil Dumatrait is pretty much out of the organization now too.

Dickerson wasn't promoted becasue he simply wasn't ready. Better to leave him in the minors and let him develop.

Dumatrait may have failed in his first trial, but he still likley figues ibto their plans. He'll likley get other chances in the minors to see if he can gain better location of his pitchesl.

Turn Off Ads?