Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early trade ideal for this winter

Early trade ideal for this winter

This is something I have been pondering on for a while now.How can the Reds make theirselves better in the winter,besides hiring a good manager?So I was looking around at teams and what they can offer and what needs they have.I came up with the Marlins.Heres what I thought would be a good trade for both sides.

Reds get:
    Willis-(hes not having a good season and the Marlins are not going to resign him.So it could be a good time to deal him.He cant become a FA until after the 09 season.)

Cabrera-(hes young and way to expensive for the Marlins.I dont think he becomes a FA util after 09 aswell.)

Marlins get:
    Bailey or Cueto either or not both-(this gives them a good young pitcher coming back they can stick in the rotation right away.)

E.E.-(with his production here in the second half of the season the Reds will get nice offers in return for E.E.I just hate to see teh Reds trade E.E. now.I think hes just now starting to come into his own.But I think Keppinger is the darling of the front office right now and thats who they will keep for a utilty man next season or the starting 3rd baseman.)

Coffey-(believe it or not he still has some trade value.Hes young and throws hard.The Marlins will hope they are the team he puts it all together for.)

Valaika-(a young SS who has been playing good in the minors.His pop and defense should interest the Marlins.)

D.Stubbs-(Stubbs has nothing but upside and the MArlins love players like him.)

So how I look at it I think its a pretty even trade for both sides.The Reds get something to help them win now and the Marlins get what they always seem to want,salary relief.Hate to give up some of those young players(EE,Stubbs,and Bailey)but to get 2 already proven ALL-ATARS you have to give up talent to receive it.Lets look at what the Reds would look like if by someway this or a trade close to it could happen.Forgot we also dont pick up Dunns option to releave some of the money crunching with adding those 2 players.His 13 mil. alomg with the others that would leave would make it close to even money wise.I think both Willis and Cabrera will make about 8 or 9 mil next season.So 18 mil for those 2 isnt that bad.ALos Keppinger would play LF for Dunn.

Starting Lineup;
    1) Phillips-2B(i know but I think you could put he or Josh leading off.
    2) Hamilton-CF(Josh or Brandon flip or flop um it probably doesnt matter.
    3) JR-RF
    4) Cabrera-3B(how would it to be to have him hitting between JR and Dunn.
    5) Keppinger-LF
    6) Votto-1B(he could platoon with Cantu until he gets comfortable.
    7) Gonzalez-SS
    8) Ross-C
    Now that a lineup.On base percentage people in there along with run producers and speed at the top of the lineup.I think it looks great.

Starting Pitcher;
    1) Harang
    2) Willis
    3) Arroyo
    4) FA starter maybe Silva
    5) Belisle
    That top 3 will be as good as anyones in baseball if not better.The Rotation and lineup looks great like this what do you think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Early trade ideal for this winter

The Marlins won't trade Cabrera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Your probably right but it would be worth a shot.

I think we would be better off trying to get Joe Blanton or a similar type of pitcher. The A's are much more willing to trade guys than the Marlins.

I doubt if the Reds would trade Bailey or Cueto for Willis at this point. Willis has not been as good lately as he was in the past.

Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for Blanton?

I would do anything to have Miguel Cabrera a Red..... ANYTHING!

Not going to happen though... the guy will be a Yankee or Red Sock you can mark my words...... He is my favorite player (non-Red) and I have been sweating him since his brief stint in the minor leagues..... I would give up Bailey in a heartbeat to get him and I named my post name after bailey.... thats how high I am on Cabrera....

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Would you trade Bailey or Cueto for Blanton?
    no way

I'd trade Bailey, but not Cueto.

I think the Reds should try and pry Lance Berkman from the Astros for our RH power bat and maybe trade them Votto (LH). Berkman is having an off year but still has 24 HR's. He could play 1B, help even out the RH side of our lineup along with power, and usually he is closer to a .300 hitter. I think he would do well in GABP. Houston is most likely going to rebuild with their bad season and retirement of Biggio.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think the Reds should try and pry Lance Berkman from the Astros for our RH power bat and maybe trade them Votto (LH). Berkman is having an off year but still has 24 HR's. He could play 1B, help even out the RH side of our lineup along with power, and usually he is closer to a .300 hitter. I think he would do well in GABP. Houston is most likely going to rebuild with their bad season and retirement of Biggio.
    Huh? Berkman has almost no power from the right side. Only 3 of his 25 home runs this year have come from that side of the plate.

Not to be picky but it is "idea" not "ideal" although I'd agree that adding Cabrera would be ideal. Why not aim high? Targeting Willis and Cabrera is a good idea - don't think we have the pieces to make that work however.

MLBtraderumors.com went out on a limb and said this about people getting non tendered

There is one obvious person on the list, included to spark some conversation. I know Dontrelle Willis is still generally regarded as useful. But what if he has an awful September and pushes his ERA up past 5.50? Would a penny-pinching team like the Marlins pay him $7MM+? No. But there's a 99% chance some team offers up a fairly useful young player for Willis, hoping to give him a fresh start. However, isn't there some tiny chance no one bites and the Marlins just non-tender him? Just throwing it out there.
    No why that happens though.
    Last edited by Muggerd; 08-30-2007 at 04:34 PM.

I'd move to Cleveland just to reach a safe distance from GABP if the Reds went out and got Willis.

How bout Troy Glaus as a righty with power? He has some of the best power in the AL. If he could start at third then we could get some pitching for EE.

Turn Off Ads?