Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

Watched ESPN Baseball Tonight just to see Phillips beautiful play again. I was sure it would be a web gem. Just watched the end of the show: it didn't make it. There was a nice catch by Corey Hart, Mike Lamb making a good play at 3rd, Kouzimanoff going in the stands to take a foul ball away from a fan, Aaron Rowand catching one against the wall, and Indians second baseman Cabrera bare handing a slow grounder to throw out Richie Sexson at 1st.

No Phillips gem! I am mad! His play was far better than any of their top 5!

John Fay's blog has it: "Brandon Phillips' play to end Thursday's game was a good as I've seen. And Phillips said it's as good as he's made.

“It’s probably the best of my career,” Phillips said. “Game on the line. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

If you agree, you can send ESPN a message through their online form located HERE. They missed a great one tonight!
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

THe ESPN write-up on the game does rave about Phillips play. The story is HERE.

A CLOSER LOOK
    Ken
    Griffey
    • Summary: With Ken Griffey Jr. getting three hits and scoring twice, the Reds overcame Adam Dunn's baserunning blunder that cost them two runs, rallying from deficits of 2-0 and 4-3 to win their eighth in 10 games with a 5-4 victory over the Pirates.

• Did you see that? With the Reds up 5-4, Pirates pinch-hitter Josh Phelps doubled with two outs in the ninth. When Nate McLouth singled into short right field, it appeared Phelps would score easily. But second baseman Brandon Phillips hustled to run down the ball and, falling backward, made a strong throw that allowed catcher Javier Valentin to tag Phelps, who did not slide, about shoulder high.

• Figure this: Phillips had two singles and a double during his seventh consecutive multihit game, the most by a Cincinnati player since Chris Stynes had eight in 2000. Phillips is 16-for-30 during the streak.

• Quotable: "The greatest play of my career. It can't get no better than that." -- Phillips

-- ESPN.com news services

Reds 5, Pirates 4

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds won a game they probably should have lost because second baseman Brandon Phillips made a play nobody on either team thought he could make. Most of all, Phillips himself.

Josh Phelps was thrown out at the plate to end the game on Phillips' remarkable throw from right field and the Reds overcame Adam Dunn's baserunning mistake that cost them two runs to rally and beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 5-4 on Thursday night.

In a wild game, two plays occurred that no one on either side could remember seeing: a two-run single was wiped out because a runner didn't touch a base and a game ended when an infielder roamed into the outfield to throw out a runner at home.

"That's a great way to win the game," Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin said. Then, pausing for a second, he added, "And a tough way to lose it."

With the Reds up 5-4 after Alex Gonzalez scored from first base in the top of the inning on Ken Griffey Jr.'s pop-fly single to left field, pinch-hitter Phelps doubled with two outs against David Weathers. When Nate McLouth singled into short right field, it appeared Phelps would score easily.

But Phillips hustled to run down the ball and, falling backward, made a strong throw that allowed catcher Javier Valentin to tag Phelps about shoulder high. Phelps apparently thought he would score easily and, ignoring on-deck batter Jose Bautista's waving to get down, did not slide.

Pirates manager Jim Tracy called Phillips' play "incredible." Valentin said it was "amazing."

"I don't know if I've ever seen that play made," Tracy said. "Brandon Phillips did a tremendous job. He recovered and grabbed the ball on one hop, whirled and fired the ball right on line to home plate. Absolutely incredible."

Phillips called it "the greatest play of my career. It can't get no better than that."

What he couldn't believe was his blind, give-it-all-you've-got throw was only a little high.

"I knew it was going over his head or into the stands," Phillips said. "I didn't think it was going to go right at him, but it did."

There's more. That play might not have mattered if Dunn hadn't run the Reds out of two runs and a tie in the fourth.

With the bases loaded and Pittsburgh up 2-0, Griffey and Dunn came home standing up on Edwin Encarnacion's line drive to left field. But the Pirates successfully appealed that Dunn failed to touch third, and he was called out on what became a force play.

"I've never seen that, a call changed for missing a base," Pirates reliever Matt Capps said.

The ruling led to some brief confusion -- the scoreboard changed from 2-2 to 2-1, and finally, back to a 2-0 Pirates lead -- and prompted a long discussion between third base umpire Chris Guccione, crew chief Wally Bell and Mackanin. Tracy said the Pirates' bench and several players on the field saw Dunn miss the base by nearly a foot.

Baseball rule 7.12 states that when a runner misses a base: "If, upon appeal, the preceding runner is the third out, no runners following him shall score. If the third out is the result of a force play, neither preceding nor following runners shall score."

"I've seen plays appealed and guys miss a base, but never with the bases loaded," Mackanin said. "What a huge play that was. It's a force play to end the inning and nobody scores."

With Griffey getting three hits and scoring twice, the Reds came back from deficits of 2-0 and 4-3 to win their eighth in 10 games and split the four-game series despite being swept in a doubleheader Tuesday. The Pirates lost their fourth in 13 games.

Jared Burton (4-1) won despite allowing Bautista's two-run homer, his 13th, that put the Pirates up 4-3 in the seventh. Weathers pitched the ninth to get his 29th save in 34 opportunities but, he said, only because of Phillips.

"Minor leagues, major leagues, I've lost a bunch of games on that ball right there, but I've never been saved on one," Weathers said. "But then that whole game was like that."

In the top of the ninth, Griffey's blooper off Capps (4-6) couldn't be handled by shortstop Cesar Izturis, third baseman Bautista or left fielder Jason Bay, allowing Gonzalez to score from first. Izturis appeared to have a chance to make the play, but Bautista got in his way as Izturis stuck his glove out.

The Reds tied it in the eighth against Shawn Chacon on Encarnacion's RBI single -- his second hit of the game. If not for Dunn's mistake, it would have been his third.

Pittsburgh opened a 2-0 lead on Adam LaRoche's RBI single in the first and Freddy Sanchez's run-scoring double in the fifth, his second double of the game.

Game notes
    The Reds are seven games back in the NL Central. ... Griffey's double was the 1,099th extra-base hit of his career, tying him with Eddie Murray for 15th place. ... Phillips had two singles and a double during his seventh consecutive multihit game, the most by a Reds player since Chris Stynes had eight in 2000. Phillips is 16-for-30 (.533) during the streak. ... The Reds won the season series 9-7. ... Dunn also had a two-base error for overrunning LaRoche's single to left.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

It was the #1 top play on SC.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It was the #1 top play on SC.
    Cool...We still need to campaign for Brandon to win the gold glove this year.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 08-31-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I don't think they even recapped the game on the show, unless I missed it.

Are there any clips of the actual play? The only clips I've seen cut away to the third base runner right before he makes the throw and all you see is the ball sailing towards home plate.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

ESPN is teh suck.

No really, they are.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I hate ESPN. FSN Final Score FTW.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

I guess it wasn't on BBT but I did see it as the top play on SC. Maybe they had taped BBT before the Reds game was in the can because Kruk had a roast in the overn?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

And the play is up on the Reds mlb.com site.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I was listening to the game on the radio on the way to work last night. I just got home and turned on SportsCenter and they just showed it. What a gem!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Phillips obviously has a heck of a lot of talent - but this play shows that he is also starting to use his head a lot, as well, being very aware of what is happening on the rest of the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Are there any clips of the actual play? The only clips I've seen cut away to the third base runner right before he makes the throw and all you see is the ball sailing towards home plate.
    I'd like to see the throw too. Usually they'll replay the various angles, but all they replay is the tag. If that's not out there, what a dreadful piece of television work.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd like to see the throw too. Usually they'll replay the various angles, but all they replay is the tag. If that's not out there, what a dreadful piece of television work.
    On the postgame on FSN they showed the throw. Quite a throw! It's one of the best plays you will ever see. Phillips is probably the best 2nd baseman the Reds have had since Morgan. At least that I have seen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

HERE is a LINK to the page where you can watch the play. The link is on the right hand side of the page and is titled "Phillips great throw home".

HERE is a direct link to the play.
    I agree this edit job is bad. The actual angles they show here are not that good; you can't even see Phillips throw the ball. Cmon MLB!
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 08-31-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Turn Off Ads?