Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

Re: Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

Not a great camera angle, but you definatley get a sense of the amazing throw he pulled off while off-ballence, still moving the other way, etc.

And people want to trade him why?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate to admit this (I did not get to see the play live, was at work) - but I just realized that was the game ending play - if the play had not been made, the game would have tied, and who knows what the outcome would have been.
    That makes it even more of a wow play - clutch. Had Jeter made the play, it would have been hailed the play of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And people want to trade him why?
    He doesn't walk enough?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    On the postgame on FSN they showed the throw. Quite a throw! It's one of the best plays you will ever see. Phillips is probably the best 2nd baseman the Reds have had since Morgan. At least that I have seen.
    Pokey Reese wasn't too shabby. I'd say he definitely outranges Phillips, but Phillips certainly has a flair for the dramatic.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Pokey Reese wasn't too shabby. I'd say he definitely outranges Phillips, but Phillips certainly has a flair for the dramatic.
    Phillips is also a much better hitter. Take a gander at Reese's OPS+s and OBP by season. Gross.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I hate to admit this (I did not get to see the play live, was at work) - but I just realized that was the game ending play - if the play had not been made, the game would have tied, and who knows what the outcome would have been.
    That makes it even more of a wow play - clutch. Had Jeter made the play, it would have been hailed the play of the year.
    Jeter is the 1st name that popped into my head when I seen that play. As a matter of fact I think I said to myself "that was Jeter-Esque". Or like I say to myself when I see Jeter make a play "that was Larkin Esque".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Phillips is also a much better hitter. Take a gander at Reese's OPS+s and OBP by season. Gross.
    Was thinking solely in terms of defense. In terms of the whole package, I agree.

As soon as I saw it the Jeter throws-out-Giambi-lateral was the first thing that came to mind.

BBT is wholly unwatchable. Barely surface coverage of the games; It's basically, homer, homer, final score. The analysis is by a stupid GM and a stupidier ex-player. Just awful.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-31-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    BBT is wholly unwatchable. Barely surface coverage of the games; It's basically, homer, homer, final score. The analysis is by a stupid GM and a stupidier ex-player. Just awful.
    I agree. You see the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, and whoever they are playing.

Last night, I counted the number of times they showed the replay of Youkilis running out of the basepath. It was 7.

I also counted how many times they showed Phillips' play. It was 0.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    HERE is a LINK to the page where you can watch the play. The link is on the right hand side of the page and is titled "Phillips great throw home".

HERE is a direct link to the play.
    I agree this edit job is bad. The actual angles they show here are not that good; you can't even see Phillips throw the ball. Cmon MLB!
    That's what I'm thinking - I'm not seeing it and why in the heck don't you retrieve the video from the camera that had the first angle fielding the ball and edit that in? Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Phillips obviously has a heck of a lot of talent - but this play shows that he is also starting to use his head a lot, as well, being very aware of what is happening on the rest of the diamond.
    Reminds me of that time in the playoffs when Derek Jeter bolted from his SS position to along the first base line to flip that ball to Posada to nail Jeremy Giambi. Unbelievable play by Phillips, unlike anything I've ever seen.

Haunted by walks

Coming after his two stolen bases on one pitch, I think Brandon Phillips has the ability to redefine the game, the way Eric Davis used to.

The same bad editing with the Dunn missed bag. They had two cameras on the play. The behind the on deck camera and the high camera following the ball (and badly).

These stadiums are filled with cameras and not one was unblocked and focused on Dunn rounding 3rd? Ugh.

Haunted by walks

It would be interesting to find out what happens to the shots that don't make the broadcast. The director caught subpar angles on the Phillips play, which was shown live. The replay was the same thing, switching from Phillips to the runner coming home. The highlights were just the same replay.

It's understandable that working live, the director is going to want to get the runner crossing the plate. Especially if it was a Pittsburgh camera crew. Did the camera that was on Phillips stay on Phillips? Is that shot even retrievable now? How often does the director pull up not-shown-before angles for the replay? Usually only for a disputed call. How often does MLB re-edit the shots for their highlights? Seems like they grab the replays and go.

I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD of the Reds' improbable championship season of 2007.
    Last edited by BCubb2003; 08-31-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Phillips is worth the price of admission alone - just a fun player to watch, just like Larkin was in his prime for many years - and Brandon's already bangin' on the door of his first 30/30 season. Just an intense competitor who seems to want to win and be great in the worst way - can't get enough of those types on the same team.

Yay!

I did see one good replay of "the play," but that was after FSN broke for commercial and came back.

There is a good shot of Phillips making the play out there. It's just that nobody's showing it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?