Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Reds go Moose hunting?

Re: Should the Reds go Moose hunting?

Jim Palmer and Earl Weaver have both discussed Mussina's lack of desire in holding fast / going into the late innings. Ray Miller often referred to him sarcastically as "Miss-ina" for this reason.
    Sorry I can't provide a link. He looks done to me as well, though, I have ALWAYS said we need a veteran pitcher - a hall of fame pitcher to set the tone for the staff. I so very much wish we could've traded for Greg Maddux way back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mussina has 10-5 rights, he'd have to approve any trade.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I think this is actually a good idea. It's a short-term deal for an older player who has had quite a bit of success. Even though some say he is done, he has only had a recent bad stretch. I know his velocity is down, but it's not like the guy has forgotten how to pitch. Not to mention, I think he would benefit from coming over from the AL. I think he's still got some good stuff left. Having him around for next year would ensure that the Reds wouldn't have to pressure Bailey or Cueto to make the big league club and they could continue to develop.

I see too many problems with it working though.

#1 - Even if the proposed trade of Stanton worked, it's still a lot of money for a team like the Reds to spend on a starting pitcher that is older. I feel like the Reds would need a little bit more salary relief.

#2 - If the Yanks did trade Moose to the Reds, they would want more than Stanton and a tier 2 prospect, I think. I don't know that they would demand an elite prospect, but I could see them wanting at least a Maloney type.

#3 - He is a 10/5 player and I don't see him approving a trade to the Reds, unless maybe there was a contract extension which the Reds should not consider.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    mth123, don't you think that the Yankees would like to add Mike Stanton's "veteran presence"?
    They seem to do better the less of that they have
    Go Gators!

I'd only do it if the Yank's eat a bunch of salary. And the only way they eat a bunch of salary is if they get stud prospect back.

I like this kind of thinking though.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

From what I saw of Mussina the other night, he does not have the velocity nor near the movement of his successful past. However, there is an interesting aspect to Mussina's prospect of converting to a finesse pitcher. The nice reperotoire of pitches he has commanded in the past tells me that he has a propensity and aptitude for pitching beyond pure physical skill. If Mussina could move to a National League team like San Diego or Los Angeles, I believe he could have another successful four or five years as a number three starter.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Mussina has 10-5 rights, he'd have to approve any trade.
    Mussina would approve a trade to Cincinnati if I had a chance to get my hands on him, thank you.

BTW -- I agree with Spitball; Mussina is a smart, flexible pitcher. He's actually one guy to whom I'd give a fair chance of standing up well to middle age after a period of adjustment.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Mussina would approve a trade to Cincinnati if I had a chance to get my hands on him, thank you.
    Now now this is a family board vp

Turn Off Ads?