Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black" ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black" ...

Being a resident of California all my life, I haven't grown up listening to WLW. I inherited my love for the Reds from my father, grandfather and great-grandfather, all Ohio natives.

This morning, when I got in my car Bill Cunningham was on WLW (via XM) where I had left it last night while listening to the post game show. Cunningham, while I appreciate his zeal, called out Griffey, Dunn, Castellini, and PM.

Some of his choice comments:

-Griffey is a disgrace to the All-Century team, and to baseball in general.
    -Griffey deserves to be stripped of his uniform until he calls a press conference to apologize to baseball fans everywhere for his lack of effort over the years.
    -Griffey needs to be sat until such time as he learns to hustle. -Griffey should hang it up, and give a $100 million back to Cincinnati.

-Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field.
    -He continues to insinuate that Dunn was drunk, and in fact is willing to wager that he would have at least blown a .15 on a sobriety test.
    -He also referred to Adam Dunn saying "I guess Adam Dunn is black now", which I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, I don't think racial comments are necessary.
    -He insists the Reds refuse Dunn's option and pick up a better LF on the Free Agent market
    - He speculated that Dunn and Griffey bet on the Pirates to win, and thus could possibly have been trying to throw the game.

-Arroyo should be punished for coming out after 80 pitches.

-Pete Mackanin needs to sit Dunn and Griffey until they apologize. If he chooses not to, he has "little soft ones".

- Castellini needs to fire PM, unless he puts his stamp on this club by sitting Jr and Dunn.

I will tell you, I havent been this disgusted with a talk radio personality in as long as I can remember. Is this truly representative of the feelings of the City of Cincinnati?

Griffey has had his problems, but he was always a high-effort guy. His effort resulted in his body breaking down, but he continued to show that effort, and showed it two-fold when he came back from serious injuries time and time again. As for Griffey and the LONG singles he has been watching. There really is no excuse, but if you had hit the ball the same way, for the last 25 years, and suddenly, it starts falling 10 feet short, you would be stunned as well. Maybe Juniors real problem is coming to the realization he isnt the player he used to be, and adjusting accordingly. Griffey is still good, and can still produce solid offense. The real question will be is he still watching his LONG singles next season? Give the guy a chance to admit to himself he has lost a bit of pop, and adjust before we call for him to be stripped of his uniform.

Dunn, while I cannot comment on his sobriety, made his share of mistakes. He would never even win a "Lead Glove" award in LF, and we can all debate where he should move. The reality is, his worth offensively is far more than what we would get for 13 million on the market this winter. Letting him walk for nothing except compensation picks, would put a serious dent in the offense. Even as good as Bruce is, the odds he puts up Dunn like numbers for the Reds next year is slim. 2009? who knows. Calling Dunn a monkey, and black are both completely out of line. Also, with the Reds history, do you REALLY want to make a claim that Griffey and Dunn were trying to throw the game? Classless all the way around.

Arroyo, gives the Reds tons of innings. Is Bill trying to say he has never gotten halfway through a workday, felt under the weather, and asked to go home early? Yeah right. If one of my employees that work for me gave me 110% every time they came to work, then once a year had to go home early, I wouldn't even think twice.

Bill, a guy who spends all day talking, has no right to question if Pete M has "little soft ones". Last I checked he didnt work for the Reds front office, and has no idea what orders PM gets.

I could go on for hours, but I never listened to Cunningham before, and sure as hell wont now. The Reds are his hometown team, you dont slander the hell out of them, no matter how you feel.

Bill needs to go to some more games, or at least stay until the seventh inning stretch. He is missing on of the most important things about baseball. "...its root, root root for the HOME TEAM, if they dont win its a shame..."

Schnickelfritz

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

I didn't think anyone listened to Bill Cunningham anymore. He's the prime reason I turn off 700 WLW just as soon as Marty says, "Goodnight, everybody".

Senor Votto

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

I just lost several brain cellls from reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I just lost several brain cellls from reading this.

that seemed rude

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    that seemed rude
    Don't forget racist

Cunningham will do anything to get some attention. He has made some of the most ridiculous remarks over the years...it would be best if everyone would just not listen to his stupid show.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Cunningham will do anything to get some attention. He has made some of the most ridiculous remarks over the years...it would be best if everyone would just not listen to his stupid show.
    Being from and living in CA, this was the first I had really heard Cunningham. He has been on before, but as I am not from the area, I always immediately switched to more local content.

It amazes me how unpopular the guy is, yet he seems to preach as if he is the voice of Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Kradokk View Post
    It amazes me how unpopular the guy is, yet he seems to preach as if he is the voice of Cincinnati.
    If he was so unpopular, he wouldn't have a show everyday of the week during the heart of the afternoon. Somebody is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If he was so unpopular, he wouldn't have a show everyday of the week during the heart of the afternoon. Somebody is listening.
    His comments about the Reds were rather unpopular. This is the only time I have ever listened to him, but his callers were not too happy. That is what i meant by unpopular. Someone IS listening, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kradokk View Post
    His comments about the Reds were rather unpopular. This is the only time I have ever listened to him, but his callers were not too happy. That is what i meant by unpopular. Someone IS listening, for sure.
    Yep, there will always people listening for the resulting fireworks. And that is Willie's schtick. He wants to bring out the crazies,------pro and con, ----knowing full well a lot of people can't resist observing the nasty fight, that will result from his outrageous commentaries. I bet he's playing with himself when people start calling in to respond!

He has always been loud and obnoxious.For awhile ,when Furman was there it was like a contest to see which was louder.I had to stop listening to both of them.

Lighten up, folks. Bill Cunningham is the most entertaining voice in the history of Cincinnati radio. He's a very intellegent man who's humor is unmatched. Long live the "Voice of the common man".

BTW, Griffey's lack of hustle in the 9th inning was crap, anyway you look at it.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Lighten up, folks. Bill Cunningham is the most entertaining voice in the history of Cincinnati radio. He's a very intellegent man who's humor is unmatched. Long live the "Voice of the common man".

BTW, Griffey's lack of hustle in the 9th inning was crap, anyway you look at it.
    Mostly agree. Though I'm not sure he's as funny as the fact that you misspelled "intelligent". But he is pretty funny and he tries to say outrageous stuff because it makes good radio; you're not supposed to take it seriously. He exaggerates for effect.

And I've gone from criticizing Junior heavily to defending him to pretty much not caring anymore. The pitching on this team makes the position players beside the point.

Cunningham is ranked number 82 in Talkers Magazine top 100.

http://www.talkers.com/main/index.ph...d=19&Itemid=44
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?