Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black" ...

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

I compare Jim Rome to Willie Cunningham. The only thing they do different is Rome has sports and Willie mainly covers politics.

If you don't understand Willie or take him too seriously, you're never going to like him. Some people need to loosen up around here and stop being so uptight about every little bad thing someone says about a player.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black"

Cunningham apologizes to Dunn
    BY JOHN FAY

WLW talk show host Bill Cunningham apologized to Adam Dunn for a remark Cunningham made about Dunn on his show Friday.

Cunningham said Dunn was "drunk" while playing in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"I apologized," Cunningham said. "That's all I'm going to say. I made a mistake."

Following the Reds' victory over Pittsburgh, Cunningham singled out Dunn and outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. for what he called a lack of hustle.

In the game, Dunn missed third base in the fourth inning, costing the Reds two runs. The next day, Cunningham said Griffey should never wear a Reds uniform again, and he said Dunn was drunk during the game.

"Adam Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field," Cunningham said on the air. "He has to have consequences for what he does. That is again a loafing ballplayer who ... would have blew a .15 if someone gave (him) the intoxilizer last night. I say .15. The son of a gun is drunk. And he's playing baseball in left field for the Redlegs."

Cunningham and Dunn talked briefly in the Reds' clubhouse before Wednesday's game.

Asked if he accepted the apology, Dunn shrugged. Dunn willingly accepts harsh criticism for his play.

"Say I stink, I suck, whatever," Dunn said. "But when my mom's friend hears it and calls her, then (my mom) calls me crying her eyes out ... That's over the line. People believe that stuff."

I am sure this incident will not help the Reds' attempt to re-sign Dunn to a LTC.

He's as good as gone.No way the Reds can afford to resign him if he becomes a free agent.He will command bookoo bucks on the market.

The boys on 1530, Doyle and Egger, were ripping Dunn apart yesterday for pulling out the "mom card". I actually agree it was kind of weak to pull that out.

Willie went way over-the-top with his comments, obviously. He could've/should've said Dunn was playing "like" he was drunk, not playing drunk, if he was going to mention it at all. I think one word would've made a big difference.

I'm not a fan of Willie, at all. But, at least he manned-up and went to the Reds clubhouse to make an apology. Dunn should've accepted it and moved on. However, Dunn refused it, threatened him, and pulled out the "mom card". Now Dunner looks like the fool.

Unfortunately, Dunn needs to get out of this city. He's not appreciated and he constantly gets blasted by the media here. At this point in time, with the money he's going to make, the atmosphere in the clubhouse, and the angst going on with him, I believe it'd be best if he and the Reds parted ways after the season. It's not going to be fun when that happens. I just hope the Reds at least get a decent return for him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Honestly, I don't really see the "mom" card as a bad thing.

Dunn, in a way, was reminding these guys at the radio stations that their words have impact. Talk show hosts can sit in a room with just one or two others around and act like they're having a private conversation or say things for "shock value," hiding in the isolation of a studio, but their words mean things to those who hear them. Would Cunningham have said the things he did if Dunn or Dunn's family members were in the room? I seriously doubt it. But give him a microphone and the restraint of decency fades away. Doing or saying something for "shock value" doesn't free one from the responsibility of their actions.

Dunn doesn't look like a fool to me. Still, I agree that he should have accepted the apology and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Yeah, Griffey and Dunn, that's what's killed us for the past 7 years. Too bad they can't do anything to complement our excellent pitching.
    They have in a sense due to the amount of money the Reds pay both of them and wait until next year when they have to pay Dunn even more. Get different outfielders and use the extra money to get the pitching you speak of. It is simple as that. Also, the dumb signing of the Free Agent pitchers all ready on this team, especially Eric Milton. Well, maybe giving this organization more money to blow on Free Agents is not the right thing to do, but this is a new ownership so they need to do something besides the norm, right.

Plus, I thought players never listen or care what these Shock Jocks talk about? I guess they really do. If Dunn's mother knows this is not true then why make a big deal out of it.
    Last edited by cReds1; 09-07-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

Turn Off Ads?