Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Should Be Outlawed In Movies and T.V. Shows

Re: Things That Should Be Outlawed In Movies and T.V. Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Hand-held i.e. shaky cams. I'd like to watch a show and not feel naseous bcause the camera is jerking all over the place. It isn't like that in real life. You don't stand there and watch what's going on around you like you are having some sort of seziure.

Boy Howdy!!!!

Talk about an overworked and overdone technique.

Occasionally, it can be brilliant when done right, like in "Children of Men". Most of the time, it's just annoying.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sideline reporters at sporting events.

These same reporters interviewing coaches at halftime!

Shots of any participants family in the stands!:thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Shots of any participants family in the stands!:thumbdown
    I absolutely hate it when networks do that.

I also loathe the human interest stories that the networks do at the Olympics and other sporting events. I don't care about the D that the runner got in his 8th grade math class, I just want to see him run. It's so annoying, it can ruin any show (I'm looking at you, new American Gladiators). For some reason, more and more networks include this. I blame reality television shows.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Don't you just love it when your team just had a miserable 1st half and as you're jogging off the field at halftime you got this reporter shoving a mike in your face and asking "Coach, your thoughts on the first half?"

I'd love to see a coach go off on a profanity laced tirade (pull an Earl Weaver) and then see the blank look on that reporter's face.

Or when the coach is asked "What adjustments are you going to make in the 2nd half?"

"Like I'm gonna tell you Mr. camera man? I think the only adjustment we need to make is towards the end of the game. I'm gonna spot my linebackers to take you out so I can get a clean path to the clubhouse!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I hate the endings of movies that leave you hanging, scratching your head, and is obviously a "plug" for a sequel.

And how many Halloween and Friday The 13th sequels do we need?

And is the creativity in Hollywood so dried up (or money-driven) that the only ideas they can come up with is remaking old TV shows into movies?

What's next?.... "My Mother The Car: The Movie"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When a black man's and white man's worlds collide, resulting in a stupid comedy involving a billion stereotypes being played out.
    White guys have names like Lenny, whereas black guys have names like Carl.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I absolutely hate it when networks do that.

I also loathe the human interest stories that the networks do at the Olympics and other sporting events. I don't care about the D that the runner got in his 8th grade math class, I just want to see him run. It's so annoying, it can ruin any show (I'm looking at you, new American Gladiators). For some reason, more and more networks include this. I blame reality television shows.
    And for reality television you must blame the Screen Actors Guild, the worst union in the history of the universe.

Really, though, I think the human interest stories have always been around and prevelant at Olympic time. I think that what has really changed is the amount of airtime the Olympics get. Before cable was the all-encompassing mass that it is now, and the Olympics were on six different channels at any given time, the Olympics had three hours of airtime a day and maybe more on the weekends. The networks had no choice but to show as much sports coverage as they could. There were still a few human interest stories every night, but it just seems like fewer now because the total coverage has increased while the sports coverage hasn't necessarily.

Pedro Martinez just had his 3000th strikeout as I was babblingly typing about the Olympics. FYI.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

You are obviously not including Erin Andrews in this, correct?

I thought it was hilarious when Kansas lost the NCAA championship game and there were strong rumors - that turned out to be true - that Kansas coach Roy Williams was going to take the North Carolina job. Kansas ended up losing the game and Bonnie Bernstein from CBS interviewed him after the game and asked him the question. And he said, "Right now, I don't give a sh%t about Carolina."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You are obviously not including Erin Andrews in this, correct?

I thought it was hilarious when Kansas lost the NCAA championship game and there were strong rumors - that turned out to be true - that Kansas coach Roy Williams was going to take the North Carolina job. Kansas ended up losing the game and Bonnie Bernstein from CBS interviewed him after the game and asked him the question. And he said, "Right now, I don't give a sh%t about Carolina."
    Erin Andrews is the exception, because of her outstanding interviewing skills!

Another one of my pet peeves is "newscasters" who are more interested in stories about themselves, rather than reporting on actual news. Anytime they see their name out of the newsroom, they use the opportunity to exploit it - and the more controversial and argumentative, the better.
    Lou Dobbs, I am looking at you.

I hate that every sports event on network TV or even ESPN has to have a musical track/video clip introduction like it's the game of the century. Just get to the pregame show already, I've seen every highlight you are showing in that clip about 50 times already and I sure didn't tune in listen to the crap music your playing.

When a company has paid tons of money to be the lead advertiser during a sporting event, and every commercial break features an ad for their company, and they only have two different ads to run. I am thinking of the BCS National Championship game this year with the stupid Dodge Rockem Sockem Robots. They must have run that ad 10-15 times.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Erin Andrews is the exception, because of her outstanding interviewing skills!
    So that is what they call them now.

My brothers and I use to make fun of the name Jack Arute. :

Zoinks!

Since Disney bought ABC, I can't stand the constant barrage of programming promotions that are supposed to be "news items" on Good Morning America. GMA had nearly a whole show dedicated to announcing the names of who would be appearing on Dancing With The Stars in the upcoming season. I know that morning newscasts have done similar things in the past but since Disney bought ABC, ABC is nearly intollerable from it.

I'm kind of tired of the "encore presentations" of movies.

TNT is especially guilty of either running the same movie twice in a row (the second viewing being the "encore presentation") or running the same movie 2 or 3 nights in a row.

Just call it "too cheep to purchase additional programming" instead of "encore presentation".

Turn Off Ads?