Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Michigan/App State quasi-game thread & aftermath

Re: Michigan is getting worked!!!

this was not a 'gimmie game'

this was a lose-lose game.

win and you didn't win by enough. lose and you got 'worked'

Having said that, it's bad for college football because: the Big 10 network threw a wrench into seeing a great game which was caused be extreme greed on both sides. I listened on FREE internet audio, which I couldn't believe was free.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice effort by the Badgers against a decent opponent. looks like Donovan can take over the offense without any difficulty. Looking forward to 11/3/07.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post

Having said that, it's bad for college football because: the Big 10 network threw a wrench into seeing a great game which was caused be extreme greed on both sides. I listened on FREE internet audio, which I couldn't believe was free.
    That issue seems to be more about the Big 10 network than a 1-AA team beating a top-five perennial powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    While its true that first losses are often forgotten, we've never experienced a first loss quite like this. Michigan's title chances are now nill but they can still win the Big Ten and make a BCS bowl. However, the team that played today will be losing several more games this year.
    Don't be surprised that if Michigan wins out (doubtful but ya never know) that talk starts that they should be in the mix for the BCS title if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams in the mix.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Embarassing!

Why? Would it be embarrassing to lose to Syracuse or Northern Illinois or Colorado or Miami of Ohio? ASU is a better team than those 4 teams and I'd wager they are better than half the teams in Division 1. They are certainly better than Michigan.

You know, this isn't even the biggest upset this week. A bigger upset was 1-AA non scholarship Drake beating 1-AA scholarship Illinois State. That's not an 85 to 65 scholarship difference. It's a 65-0 scholarship difference. It's like a Division III team beating a Division 1-AA team. And Drake isn't that good of a 1-AA non scholarship team either. Or they haven't been. Just goes to show you that anything can happen when 11 guys face off against 11 guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Why? Would it be embarrassing to lose to Syracuse or Northern Illinois or Colorado or Miami of Ohio? ASU is a better team than those 4 teams and I'd wager they are better than half the teams in Division 1. They are certainly better than Michigan.

You know, this isn't even the biggest upset this week. A bigger upset was 1-AA non scholarship Drake beating 1-AA scholarship Illinois State. That's not an 85 to 65 scholarship difference. It's a 65-0 scholarship difference. It's like a Division III team beating a Division 1-AA team. And Drake isn't that good of a 1-AA non scholarship team either. Or they haven't been. Just goes to show you that anything can happen when 11 guys face off against 11 guys.
    Hey, Chip... IIRC, didn't you call Appl State beating Michigan last Saturday at Arnie's or at least giving Michigan a run for it's money?
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post

If you want a cupcake....eat a cupcake. Don't schedule broken glass and try to eat it like a cupcake. App State was not a cupcake. Bad decision by the Michigan AD.

Ah....the Big Ten......reminds me of all those bowl games last season
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Hey, Chip... IIRC, didn't you call Appl State beating Michigan last Saturday at Arnie's or at least giving Michigan a run for it's money?

The latter. But no one listens to little ol' me.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

That's all correct.

But Michigan is coming off a bad end to last year, and had legit national title hopes this year.

All gone, turned into a three game losing streak, and a realistic fear of an approaching disaster. They still have to play Oregon, Penn State, Wisconsin on the road, Michigan State on the road, and Ohio State.

Now as a Buckeye fan, I'm laughing. But if I take off my buckeye necklace for a minute, it's still way more embarrassing than losing to any FBS (weird to say that) team. Perception is reality, and perception is that this is one of the biggest upsets in college football history.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-02-2007 at 12:11 AM.

It sucks in that I wanted us (OSU) to be the ones to dash their championship hopes.

Here's to you App. St.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Don't be surprised that if Michigan wins out (doubtful but ya never know) that talk starts that they should be in the mix for the BCS title if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams in the mix.
    How could they be in the mix even if they win out? Impossible. If there are a bunch of 1-loss teams Michigan will STILL be the ONLY one who lost to a 1-AA school. Sorry to say it...but their title hopes are zero.

For me, yesterday was the near-perfect college football day: Ohio State wins big, Michigan loses, Notre Dame loses. That's the tri-fecta!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    How could they be in the mix even if they win out? Impossible. If there are a bunch of 1-loss teams Michigan will STILL be the ONLY one who lost to a 1-AA school. Sorry to say it...but their title hopes are zero.

For me, yesterday was the near-perfect college football day: Ohio State wins big, Michigan loses, Notre Dame loses. That's the tri-fecta!
    I've heard that "this early loss kills them" for years on end, doesn't matter that they lost to a 1AA team (or FCS or whatever we're supposed to call it now) people forget and say "well it was just one game"

But, Michigan probably won't win out so it's moot
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I've heard that "this early loss kills them" for years on end, doesn't matter that they lost to a 1AA team (or FCS or whatever we're supposed to call it now) people forget and say "well it was just one game"

But, Michigan probably won't win out so it's moot

They are now at the mercy of the pollsters and teams ahead of them. If they take care of business with the rest of their schedule and a few teams slip up, they have a chance. Problem is they are going to be in the mix with all the other 1 loss teams. Not to take anything away from ASU but pollsters and computers are going to look at a loss to any FBS school a lot more favorably than a loss to ASU no matter how good ASU is. And then you have the teams in conferences that have championship games whereas the Big 10 doesn't. It's not impossible for Michigan but it's quite improbable. I saw the second half of the game this morning and while ASU is a great team, Michigan would get torn up by LSU or Florida or U$C.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I spent the day at the beach, so I missed all of the fun of this outcome. My jaw hit the (sandy) floor of the hotel room when I watched the late news.

Even though I love the Scarlet and Gray, I don't foresee that Ohio State or Wisconsin will win out, so I agree that this doesn't kill the Wolverines' chances at a BCS bowl. This is a loss that the poll voters are sure to remember all season, though. When we get to Week 10, it won't be hard for them to recall who hung the Week 1 "L" on the maize and blue.
    /r/reds

Honestly, the only game I really care about is "the game". If Michigan beats Ohio State then I'll be happy, if they lose then I'll still be happy, just not as much so, as I don't count on football to bolster my morale or my ego.

Now, hopefully Michigan will beet Oregon next week as I'm sure I'll be watching the game somewhere with a bunch of duck fans.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?