Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Engraving Names on Laptops and other devices

Engraving Names on Laptops and other devices

My son is leaving for college shortly and we've seen it recommended to have his name engraved onto his laptop and his iPod. Has anyone ever had this done and is it safer to have it engraved or lasered on? How safe to the devices are these processes?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Engraving Names on Laptops and other devices

I haven't done either. I've heard there's some sort of lojack service for laptops, which might be worth looking into.

It shocks me how many people leave their laptops in library cubicles/tables when they get up to go to the bathroom. I never do this, unless I have someone reliable to watch it. Sure, I get a few odd looks when I carry my laptop into the bathroom stalls, but . . . .
    Stick to your guns.

You can buy laptop locks too that lock into the VGA port on the back of the machine.

Many of my clients utilize these.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...85dd5ddc6e54bd
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I haven't done either. I've heard there's some sort of lojack service for laptops, which might be worth looking into.
    A quick Google search, and this was the first hit:

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

$49.99 for the first year of tracking seems like a great price. I can't vouch for the reliability of the service, but I do know that engraving won't prevent theft.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sherlock Holmes, is that you?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If your son plans to use his devices until they wear out, engraving would be a good way to prevent thieves from profiting on the resale of his electronics. If he expects to resell them in a couple of years, it will make his items less salable. Engraving won't stop thieves from selling his gear in underground ways or from replacing the components that have been engraved.

If his equipment is truly valuable and theft from student rooms is a problem, he could get a laptop safe like fancy hotels have in their guest rooms, to stow his gear in while he's out of his room.
    /r/reds

Most laptops come standard with a Kensington Lock port.

The lock itself will run 30-50 bucks, but they are a must for dorms. The biggest thing is to never leave it unattended in a public area. Take it to the bathroom if you have to, like CC said. Engraving Redsmetz Jr. into it (or the last 4 of his SSN) will prevent someone from selling the laptop after it gets stolen. Just because his name is in it, doesn't mean it won't get stolen.

It's also a good practice to write your name in the inside cover of all textbooks with permanent marker.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Computer dunce question: what does a port do for security? I have a laptop with a port for work, but the laptop works without the port.

Ooohhh...but as soon as I typed that, I remembered my number key. When my computer's not in it's port I have to type in the number from my "key" to get it to log on. It's a little thing that has numbers on it that constantly change. What is that thing, anyway? That might be worth looking into.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

The lock itself will run 30-50 bucks, but they are a must for dorms. The biggest thing is to never leave it unattended in a public area. Take it to the bathroom if you have to, like CC said. Engraving Redsmetz Jr. into it (or the last 4 of his SSN) will prevent someone from selling the laptop after it gets stolen. Just because his name is in it, doesn't mean it won't get stolen.

It's also a good practice to write your name in the inside cover of all textbooks with permanent marker.
    Good adivce. But as expensive as textbooks are, I don't really worry about them. Compared to a computer, it's chump change.

The first 2 years of law school, I studied almost exclusively in the library. I'd leave my bag, books, mouse and cables when I'd go to the bathroom. Getting them stolen woulda been a drag, but not a tragedy.

I always carried the laptop itself and my wallet with me to the bathroom.
    Stick to your guns.

Yeah, engraving is no good. Buy the lock previously suggested, Lojack is good too.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

The first 2 years of law school, I studied almost exclusively in the library. I'd leave my bag, books, mouse and cables when I'd go to the bathroom. Getting them stolen woulda been a drag, but not a tragedy.
    Same here.

I never left my stuff unattended at the law library unless I had someone sitting right next to it that was willing to watch it. We'd leave everything else strewn about in the quiet study areas or the cubicles, but our computers always came with us.

On a humorous/slightly disgusting note, I knew at least one kid who was a Party Poker fanatic that would make full use of the campus wireless network to continue playing poker -- even when he did have to get up from his cubicle to use the necessary.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

We did pick up the lock today and I'm going to look into the software someone else mentione.d Of course, I never expect that his name or such engraved would mean it couldn't be stolen, just that it would facilitate identifying it if it is. I like this software mentioned and we'll probably invest in that.

Thanks to everyone for your input. BYW, the Apple Store indicated that any engraving done on an iPod needed to be done with a laser, so that's what they did. We found a trophy shop in Price Hill that did both for about $25.

Turn Off Ads?