Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Michigan/App State quasi-game thread & aftermath

Re: Michigan is getting worked!!!

I believe Lloyd Carr postponed retirement and several of his players returned because they believed Michican could win a national championship this year. They might regret their decisions after this game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am still enjoying all the News Stories regarding this game.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Honestly, the only game I really care about is "the game". If Michigan beats Ohio State then I'll be happy, if they lose then I'll still be happy, just not as much so, as I don't count on football to bolster my morale or my ego.

Now, hopefully Michigan will beet Oregon next week as I'm sure I'll be watching the game somewhere with a bunch of duck fans.
    so basically you're just saying you aren't that big of a fan? because if you're a true fan, it upsets you when your team loses, i think you're just in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    so basically you're just saying you aren't that big of a fan? because if you're a true fan, it upsets you when your team loses, i think you're just in denial.
    Please, no lectures on what it means to be a true fan. I've heard the same thing from plenty of Ohio State fans. I think what Pedro is saying is that given the choice between losing to OSU and beating Appy State vs. losing to Appy State and beating OSU, he'll take the latter.

And as much of a fan as I am of the Reds and Bengals and the other teams I follow, I've moved past being "upset" when they lose. Frankly, age and maturity and life experiences have made sports team much less important. I think pedro has enough perspective to know it's not worth getting "upset" over a college football game. There are plenty of things worth getting upset about. Sports ain't one of them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    No, I just don't take sports so seriously that I let it upset me. I have a name for people who let themselves have their days and weeks ruined by sports teams and trust me, "fan" isn't it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Carr press conference is now on ESPN News.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How is this bad for college football?
    How bad is this for the big 10?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I think people are overanalyzing with the "bad" for the Big 10 or for College Football. It's one game. It's an upset. A big upset, yes. But still one game. I don't think it's good or bad for either college football or the Big 10.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think it's a loss that was bound to happen anyway. 20 years ago you could give unlimited scholarships away and the big fish swam deep.

Now, the scholarships are capped at 85. Lots of good players slip through the cracks.

This could happen to anyone. Michigan just happened to be first.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Honestly, the only game I really care about is "the game". If Michigan beats Ohio State then I'll be happy, if they lose then I'll still be happy, just not as much so, as I don't count on football to bolster my morale or my ego.

Now, hopefully Michigan will beet Oregon next week as I'm sure I'll be watching the game somewhere with a bunch of duck fans.
    If Michigan beats OSU Carr keeps his job. That should be a good game. If he doesn't I guess he'll become an assistant at App. State.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    If Michigan beats OSU Carr keeps his job. That should be a good game. If he doesn't I guess he'll become an assistant at App. State.
    I think Carr's fate is sealed already. Lloyd's had a good run but it's time for Michigan to move on. It sure would be nice to finish out his big ten career with a win against OSU though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Carr is deader than Julius Caesar no matter what he does the rest of the year.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

The only question at this point is whether or not Wes Miles wants the job. If he doesn't, I hope they go outside to fill it. I think Bo is the last time they went outside to find a coach. And if memory serves, that worked out OK. I can't think of many coaching jobs more appealing than the University of Michigan football coach. They should be able to get a good one.

selling like hotcakes at App. St. right now:
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

The Sagarin Ratings are out. Interestingly enough he mixes 1-AA and 1-A. He has ASU at 38 and Michigan at 40.

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?