Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clay Buchholz throws no-hitter in second major league start for Red Sox

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Clay Buchholz throws no-hitter in second major league start for Red Sox

All downhill from here.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Nice job by the Sox of nabbing a 95-mph thrower with good control with the 42nd pick in the draft a couple years ago.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    All downhill from here.
    Perfect game next
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Nice job by the Sox of nabbing a 95-mph thrower with good control with the 42nd pick in the draft a couple years ago.
    A lot of teams took him off their draft boards because he got into some very serious trouble as a freshman.

BTW, Francona called Theo Epstein after the 7th and 8th innings to discuss pitch counts, as he'd never thrown more than 98 pitches in a game before. He finished with 115, but they were going to take him out if he reached 120.
    Last edited by blumj; 09-01-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

This has little to do with Bucholz no-hitter, but I will never forget 1967 when Red Sox rookie Billy Rohr came within an out of a no-hitter against the Yankees. I was fourteen and my friends and I were listening to the game on WHDH radio. Elston Howard broke it up with a single with two outs in the last inning.

I believe Rohr, who was a real stringbean, won maybe two more major league games.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

The "true creature" had the most heartbreaking close call.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Now, the Sox have to hope he doesn't go all Bobo Holloman or Mike Warren on them.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    A lot of teams took him off their draft boards because he got into some very serious trouble as a freshman.

Stealing computers from a middle school. Wow. How'd I miss that?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...f_clay/?page=1
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    BTW, Francona called Theo Epstein after the 7th and 8th innings to discuss pitch counts, as he'd never thrown more than 98 pitches in a game before. He finished with 115, but they were going to take him out if he reached 120.
    I'm sure the discussion took place, and I know the BoSox pay close attention to pitch counts, but who here really thinks Francona marches out to the mound and removes Buchholz with two out in the bottom of the 9th, a no-hitter going, sitting at 120 pitches?

I'm not sure either he or Epstein can really pull the trigger on that one. That'd be a tough, tough decision.

Those 2 curveballs he threw to Markakis were just unfair.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'm sure the discussion took place, and I know the BoSox pay close attention to pitch counts, but who here really thinks Francona marches out to the mound and removes Buchholz with two out in the bottom of the 9th, a no-hitter going, sitting at 120 pitches?

I'm not sure either he or Epstein can really pull the trigger on that one. That'd be a tough, tough decision.
    I remember Clay Kirby had a no-hitter through eight innings when Padre manager Preston Gomez lifted him for a pinch hitter. He received lots of second guessing, especially since the reliever ended up losing the game.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

It'd take a lot of stones to do that.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?