Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting postgame comments from Brandon Phillips and Albert Pujols

Interesting postgame comments from Brandon Phillips and Albert Pujols

This is from Trent:

ST. LOUIS -- Wow, some actual emotion postgame. There's a legitimate feud between two of the best players for each team.

Brandon Phillips was upset with Albert Pujols for the 5th inning double play attempt. Phillips said Pujols took a jab step inside to get in the way of his throw and that it should have been interference. The play led to all four runs in the fifht inning. Another missed shot at a double play in the sixth led to five more.

"I respect him as a player and as a person, but he came in standing up and that jjust shows me he doesn't respect me turning a double play," Phillips said. "He tried to hurt me. You don't do that. It taught me a lesson. Lesson learned."

"He did his job, next time I'll do mine," Phillips said. "I'll just throw it through the (m.f.)."

"I think it was interference because he didn't slide," Phillips said. "I wish there was another double play."

"Next time he better get his ass down," Phillips said.

Phillips said he tried to talk to Pujols about it, but Pujols brushed him off.

Pujols responded that Phillips told him that the next time he was going to throw at his head, Pujols said to go ahead.

"That's the way I play the game, I play it hard," Pujols said. "He's the one who didn't make an adjustment. He didn't get out of the way."

When told that Phillips said that the next time he would throw at him and make him get down, Pujols said: "Next time I'll put him in left field, so get out of the way."

Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin said he learned his lesson early as a middle infielder that you throw through the runner and make him get down.

"I don't know if Pujols intentionally stood up, I don't know if he tried to disrupt the throw," Mackanin said. "It's up the second baseman or shortstop to throw at his head to force him to slide. That's why Manny Trillo threw sidearm, so you had to get down."

Pete said one time he threw at a guy and it bounced off his helmet and past the first baseman, allowing the runs to score, but you've got to throw through the runner and force them down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting postgame comments from Brandon Phillips and Albert Pujols

I love Brandon Phillips. I'll love him more if he drops to sidearm on the next double play ball.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Pujols always has and always will be an ass. Sounds like roid rage kicking in. I hope Phillips gets another chance at Pujols. I would plunk him next time.

MacKanin just made some points with me. Phillips too. Pujols is entitled to come in high---it's his decision. But if I'm Brandon I bounce the ball of his coconut and see how Albert feels about the same approach next time.

Rem

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I hope BP keeps true to his word, that way LaRussa can call him a headhunter too.

he called him a m.f'er? dammmmmn!
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

I love it.

Good old fashioned ripsnorts on both sides of the issue.

Country Hardball.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I'd pay money to see BP realease one between PooHole's eyes (I'd hope that he'd get down in time though).

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I love it. Shows there is some fire on this team. Pujols is so cocky. It's the attitude and Brandon shows he has some too. It should be interesting tomorrow. I despise the Cardinals and this just adds to it. Like i said at the end of the game thread, this doesn't surprise me that "Albert" is this way. Anyone who has two different ages depending on who is listening must have an honesty problem, too.

My only hope is that the "Redbirds" suffer through a period like we have for the last 7 years. And I hope George "Albert" Grande suffers through it all. It would make my life complete.

(Sorry, but listening to George fawn on the Cardinals during a game makes me ill).

For those that may or may not remember, Bronson Arroyo was the pitcher who drilled Alex Rodriguez seconds before that fantastic photo was snapped.

If I'm Pete Mackanin, I'm preparing a relief staff capable of going eight plus innings tomorrow afternoon. And that's because if I'm Bronson Arroyo, I'm throwing at Pujols until I'm ejected from the game.

On a sidenote, it'd be very interesting to see Dunn in a brawl. If I had to make a list of big league players I'd least want to get into a brawl with, Dunn would be near or at the top of that list. Dunn could step on David Eckstein while on his way toward knocking Pujols into right field.

Also, on that note, if I'm Pete Mackanin I tell Dunn he's making one convenient spot start at first base tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-02-2007 at 01:47 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Wow, that is really awesome. I love that Brandon stood up like that and I like that Mack is standing behind his player. Anyone get the feeling that Brandon is becoming a leader before our eyes?

I hope Arroyo plunks Pujols tomorrow, I really do.

I get the feeling Phillips gets the day off tomorrow, just so the Mack doesnt take chances, and the explanation is "We need Kepps bat in the lineup"
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I watched the play again, and it was really cheap by Pujols to basically just charge BP. I used to really respect Pujols as one of baseball's all around guys but in the last year he's fallen completely off that list.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Pujols is cheap all around. He's about as artificial as you can be.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

My new favorite quote.

"I'll just throw it through the (m.f.)."

I love Brandon Phillips.

Turn Off Ads?