Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunday September 2nd minor league updates

Re: Sunday September 2nd minor league updates

I am not sure how serious any of you are about calling up Maloney in September. He is not on the 40 man roster, so it could be difficult. He has had only 3 starts at Louisville, but he has been impressive in those 3 starts. I would imagine the Reds will put him on the 40-man roster in the off-season, however, and he will get a chance to make the Reds in spring training.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Normally I would say no but I think he can and will.

Cannot wait to see him and Frazier next year in Dayton assuming Todd stays there if for nothing else a short time frame to get his legs under him to start the season.
    I don't think Frazier will stay. He may spend a couple weeks there. Waring is a beast. I love getting excited about the future. It makes me so much less resistant of the past.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I am not sure how serious any of you are about calling up Maloney in September. He is not on the 40 man roster, so it could be difficult. He has had only 3 starts at Louisville, but he has been impressive in those 3 starts. I would imagine the Reds will put him on the 40-man roster in the off-season, however, and he will get a chance to make the Reds in spring training.
    I count 42 guys on the 40 man roster, with 3 on the 60-day DL, plus a few guys we could release or put through waivers. By my count there's at least 1 spot open, and the potential for several more.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I count 42 guys on the 40 man roster, with 3 on the 60-day DL, plus a few guys we could release or put through waivers. By my count there's at least 1 spot open, and the potential for several more.
    yes, but how many of those are needed to protect guys from the upcoming rule V draft? Something that we as fans don't always look at when wanting to make these moves. To be honest though, I don't know who all is eligible for the rule V with the changes in the rules this past year.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I think these are the most likely guys to go on the 40-man roster to be protected from the Rule V draft (and obviously, a few of them have no chance):

Rick Asadoorian
    Jeff Bannon
    Dan Denham
    Richie Gardner
    Carlos Guevara
    Ryan Hanigan
    Aaron Herr
    Steve Kelly
    Anderson Machado
    Ty Pelland
    Miguel Perez

Check out the estimated distance on Chris Dickerson's homerun last night. I bolded that part.

Bats clinch second place with victory over Indians

By Josh Cook
    Special to The Courier-Journal

The Louisville Bats might just be hitting their stride again.

The Bats beat the Indianapolis Indians 3-0 last night in front of 12,119 fans at Louisville Slugger Field. It was their third straight win and seventh in their past eight games.

The victory clinched second place in the International League's West Division for the Bats (73-70), who are three games above .500 for the first time since mid-July. Their season finale is today.

"We've probably hit our stride about four times this season," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "It's not first place, but I'm happy with that with all the changes we've had Our whole starting pitching staff is in the big leagues."

But the Bats didn't seem any worse for the wear last night. Three Louisville pitchers limited the Indians to five hits, including four singles.

Left-hander Matt Maloney gave up three of those hits and struck out five over six innings. Maloney got the win and is now 2-1 since joining the Bats after the parent Cincinnati Reds acquired him in a July 30 trade with the Philadelphia Phillies.

"Matt threw very well. I've been very impressed with him," Sweet said.

Sweet was also happy with the solo home runs of Chris Dickerson and Aaron Herr in the fifth inning that gave Maloney a nice cushion.

"Those were a couple of very good at-bats," Sweet said. "Dickerson's was probably a 10-pitch at-bat before he finally got one. (And) Herr, you don't see right-handers go on top of that deck (in right-center field) very often."

Herr, recent addition Buck Coats and Anderson Machado each had two hits to lead Louisville's nine-hit attack.

Machado knocked in the Bats' first run in the fourth. The inning started with Joey Votto reaching on an error by Indianapolis shortstop Brian Bixler. Herr followed with an infield single.

Then, after Coats and Luis Bolivar each flied out to the warning track in center field, Machado singled past the glove of diving second baseman Russ Johnson to score Votto.

Dickerson led off the fifth with a home run to right field off Indianapolis starter John Van Benschoten (10-7) that measured an estimated 448 feet. Then, with two out, Herr hit a home run into the Party Deck in right-center field. It was his 19th of the season.

Kirk Saarloos followed Maloney with two innings of relief, and Ricky Stone dispatched the Indians (70-72) in the ninth to earn his 16th save of the season.

"It's nice to be in second and finish up strong like we have," Sweet said.

The Bats end their season at 1:05 p.m. today. Probable starters are Louisville right-hander Elizardo Ramirez (3-3, 3.75 ERA) and Indianapolis righty Marty McLeary (5-7, 4.36).

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...52/1002/SPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Frazier seems to be adjusting fine....
    I was at the last three games and Todd is so new he only has a silhouette with his name and number on the screen when he comes to bat.

BTW... Good lookin' kid!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think these are the most likely guys to go on the 40-man roster to be protected from the Rule V draft (and obviously, a few of them have no chance):

Rick Asadoorian
    Jeff Bannon
    Dan Denham
    Richie Gardner
    Carlos Guevara
    Ryan Hanigan
    Aaron Herr
    Steve Kelly
    Anderson Machado
    Ty Pelland
    Miguel Perez
    Hopefully they put Asadoorian, Guevara, Pelland, and Perez on it, the rest I can live with being in danger of going to a new team.

Turn Off Ads?