Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else impressed with Bill Bray?

Is anyone else impressed with Bill Bray?

I know it's a very small sample size (only 9.1 innings) but is anyone else as impressed with Bill Bray as I am up to this point? He has looked very good since returning from the disabled list. He looks bigger and stronger and the results have shown. His slider has been nearly unhittable at times, and his fastball has consistently hit in the 93 area. If he continues to pitch like this then I could forgive Wayne Krivsky for the trade. With Bill Bray and Jared Burton the Reds now have two young power arms at the major league level who can get hitters out on a regular basis. Throw in Brad Salmon who pitched well earlier in the year along with Marcus McBeth who I like and you have the makings of a potentially solid bullpen next season. Plus Jon Coutlangus has been solid, if not spectacular since the All-Star break.

And that's not all. Tyler Pelland has been terrific since the Reds decided to shift him to the bullpen earlier in the season. He's pitched very well (22.2 IP, 3.18 ERA, 24 baserunners allowed, 9.5 K/9) at Louisville and could possibly see a stint in Cincy before the season ends (though doubtful because he isn't on the 40-man roster).

And on down in Chattanooga, Josh Roenicke, Pedro Viola, and Carlos Guevara have had great seasons. Guevara is more of a trickster (screwball is his out pitch), though Roenicke and Viola have legit stuff to be major league relievers. Roenicke is a possible future closer candidate. Look for him to debut sometime next season with the Reds IMO.

So, the potential is there for the Reds bullpen to improve. Let's just hope Wayne Krivsky allows the young guys a fair chance to prove themselves instead of going out and signing a bunch more 35+ year old washed up relievers like he has the past two seasons. Hopefully he has learned his lesson by now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Is anyone else impressed with Bill Bray?

There is no doubt the potential is there. I'll get excited when he doesn't give up inherited runners and quits not paying attention to the runners. He's young, so he'll learn, but I have a hard time getting excited about relief pitfchers anyway. Used to be that the Reds' bullpen was a given, even when JimBo was in charge and these days we can't find anyone who can get anyone out without a mental error scewing things up.

Someday. Someday...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yes! I am usually impressed when I see him pitch. That trade looks great when he his on his game. Basically, it was a bunch of scrubs and Bill Bray. Well, Kearns is more than a scrub, but not by much. Felipe couldn't crack this lineup right now if he had naked pics of Castellini. I will qualify him as a scrub.

Majewski is the scrubbiest of them all. That clown can't pitch worth a lick. But if Bray keeps on keeping on, that trade is going to look golden by this time next year.

He looks serviceable
    Go Gators!

I'm impressed by Bray - the potential is there. And the trade may look really good in a couple of years if Daryl Thompson continues to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He looks serviceable

For us, servicable is fantastic.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

"Impressed" is a strong word when it comes to the Reds, but yes, he's been well worth watching. I actually always thought he was the cornerstone of that deal for the Reds; if we're patient, I do believe he could prove to be a good long-term investment.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Still feel that way after tonight?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Not today

One game does not change my opinion. Especially when the rally started with a routine groundball to second base.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    One game does not change my opinion.
    And 9 innings by Bray doesn't change my opinion of Krivsky's botching of the trade.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    And 9 innings by Bray doesn't change my opinion of Krivsky's botching of the trade.

Rem
    ...and .250 hitting right fielders and second basemen with a little bit of power make lots of money, are easily replaced, and have little trade value. Pitchers who are first round draft picks may take time and are worth the wait. Bray has a chance to be an affordable contributor while Kearns and Lopez will bounce around like Todd Walker and Juan Encarnacion. The trade will take time to be fairly evaluated.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    As I said earlier this year when it was proclaimed that everything would be alright when Bray and Guardado came back, he's not this franchise's savior.

I still do not like the trade. I never will. From the looks of it we traded Lopez and Kearns for Bray. Mejewski will never amount to much in a Reds uniform, but he may be servicable with a short leash. Clayton is gone. Harris is starring in the AL. We got Bray only. That said, he's not performing like he was worth two position players (I still say Kearns would have flourished in GABP, but that's just me). But, he's young and will learn and I think will become a good middle reliever. So, that's one. We need 4 or 5 more.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Harang got hammered the other day. Does your opinion change of him now?

Bray is a 1st rounder who just turned 24. One bad outing does not a season make. He has only pitched 9.1 innings total this year.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Like OBM I like Bray. It doesn't justify the trade that he's showing signs of developing his tallent, but it's still nice that he's on the team.

For that matter, I like Cooter also. I think they can both be usefull parts of the bullpen if they can be developed. Unfortunatley, with the Reds, thats a huge if.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?