Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce, not getting the call (per BA)

Jay Bruce, not getting the call (per BA)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=572

Wayne Krivsky paid a visit to Triple-A Louisville last week, where the Reds general manager informed 20-year-old outfielder Jay Bruce he would not be making the trip to Cincinnati when rosters expanded over the weekend.

Bruce, who jumped from high Class A Sarasota, spent just 16 games in Double-A Chattanooga and has held his own in the International League, put up arguably the best numbers in the minor leagues in 2007. Including the three stops, the 2005 first-rounder batted .320/.376/.591 with 26 homers and 89 RBIs in 518 at-bats.

With one game left on the schedule, Bruce led the minor leagues in extra base hits (80), ranked seventh in hits (166), fourth in doubles (46), second in total bases (106), and sixth in slugging percentage.

Bruce won’t get his first taste of the big leagues this season, but he is equally thrilled to be a part of Team USA club that will participate in the International Baseball Federation World Cup in Taiwan Nov. 6-18.

“Everybody wants to make it to the big leagues—of course that’s your ultimate goal,” Bruce said. “But having the chance to represent my country . . . not a lot of guys get the chance to do that. My goal this season was to move to Double-A, so being able to spend most of the second half in Triple-A has been awesome. I’ve learned a lot that I think will prepare me better for when they decide to bring me up.”

So while Bruce is the odd man out of September callups, plenty of clubs made moves this weekend when rosters expanded.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce, not getting the call (per BA)

More concerning to me is that he is out of the starting lineup in Louisville for the third straight day.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was hoping to see him.

Good to hear.
    Go Gators!

I think its just because Krivsky was too lazy to make a 40 man roster move. He wouldn't want to lose Stanton.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Nope...tick tick tick tick tick.

Clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Nope...tick tick tick tick tick.

Clock.

I know, but if he makes the team out of Spring training next year he's gonna be a super two anyway.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I know, but if he makes the team out of Spring training next year he's gonna be a super two anyway.
    If the Reds pick up Dunn's option...does Bruce make the bigs...or does he stay in Louisville to play everyday until the Donkey is traded....I have Dunn,Jr.,Josh as the starting OF next year. I'm interested to hear the thoughts of the forum regarding this.

If the Reds know they aren't picking up Dunn's option, I call up Bruce yesterday for what its worth.

If it's me, I pick up Dunn's option and deal Griffey for pitching.

Can someone explain how TEAM USA operates? When does their season start, end, who do they play, who is on the roster, etc.?

I think its an absolute no brainer to pick up Dunns option. To be honest, if the Reds are ever going to move Ken Griffey Jr, this offseason would be the time to do it. I pray that he goes somewhere that he can win, because the guy absolutely deserves it. That said, if it does not happen and April rolls around with Griffey, Dunn and Hamilton all healthy and on the roster, Jay is heading to Louisville.

Oh, and Team USA has a website, www.usabaseball.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not going to happen. With Griffey's chase to #600, it would be an absolute PR mistake. The Reds are going to cash in with Griffey's historic chase, and they'd be very stupid to trade him and lose all the ticket sales that would be generated from it.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

I think the reason the Reds aren't bringing him up is mainly due to
    1) a lack of available PT
    2) save the 40 man roster spot. One would think the Reds are in for a busy off-season with a lot of flux on the 40 man.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'd pick up Dunn's option and ship him to 1B. Then I'd trade Votto and Hatteberg for pitching or a right handed power stick. I'd also offer Dunn a long term contract to play 1B.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Keep Junior in Cincy for 600, then trade him to a contender at the break. He's probably more likely to waive his 10/5 to go to a for sure contender rather than a "good" team in December.

Heck, once we extend Dunn, we can move him after June 15th, so he could go at the deadline too, particularly if he won't sign (or we don't offer) a long term deal.

There's nothing wrong with giving Bruce a few more months in AAA. My only question is, given an outfield of Bruce, Hamilton, and Dunn/Griffey, who plays CF?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?