Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bengals Season Preview.

Bengals Season Preview.

I don't think this has been covered yet, so I decided to do a Bengals season preview.

The offense:
    Carson Palmer: Has his legs back under him. He made some mental mistakes last year, and this preseason. Maybe he will make the proper corrections before the season starts. Has the arm to make all the throws. If he can get the Peyton Manning mindset maybe he can win the MVP.

The line: Led by Willie, and Levi this is a formidable group. If they can stay healthy, they have a chance to be one of the best in the league.

The Recievers: Chad is Chad. No need for any more explination there. T.J. is awesome, and one of the most underrated players in the NFL. After that its drawing names from a hat. Skyler Green has looked good in kickoff and punt returns. It may be up to how the third reciever does that defines this years offense.

The Tight Ends: Reggie Kelly is an underrated pass catcher in the Bengals offense. He is under utilized, but mostly because the Bengals use the TE to set up the run primarily.

The Defense

The Line: This group is a great team. They have two great pass rushers from the outside in Smith and Geathers. They combine those with John Thornton and Domata Peko on the inside to stop the run. This is an underrated group.

The linebackers: The linebackers this year are an athletic group with the full time addition of Ahmad Brooks in the middle. On the outside you have Landon Johnson, and underrated defender against the run, though he lacks in pass coverage. The team cut Ed Hartwell, which will cost some depth. Jeanty is an emerging young linebacker in this group on the strong side.

The corners: Combined with the veteran Deltha O'neal, the young group of Johnathan Joseph, and Leon Hall look to add some athleticism to the secondary. This group will be reliant on O'neal to get back to 2005 form.

The safeties: Madieu Williams is a terrific safety. This group was weakened with the injury last year of Dexter Jackson. Now that Jackson is back the safeties combine with the corners to make the secondary the strength of this defense. Chinedum Ndukwe and Marvin White have impressed in the preseason and training camp, and look to add talented depth.

Special teams

Shane Graham: The all time most accurate kicker in NFL history. He is a terrific kicker, with a strong leg. Seems to lose a bit of leg strength late in the season on kickoffs.

Kyle Larson: Has a strong leg. Combined with the punt coverage group they were very good last year at pinning the opposing team deep in their own territory.
    Last edited by GoReds33; 09-03-2007 at 06:21 PM.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals Season Preview.

I like that you are positive about most things but per usual with the Bengals alot of things need to break right for them to be a playoff team let alone a Super Bowl Contender. The way I see it 3 things need to happen in order for the Bengals to be a playoff team:

1.) Cornerback play-If Deltha Oneal returns to 2005 form, the group of Bengals corners could be scary good. I like Johnathan Joseph's ability to lock down teams 2nd/3rd reciever but if he could learn to catch INTs that gives you two ball hawking CBs along with Madieu (who I feel may have a huge year). Leon Hall is great depth if nothing else but I really like what I've seen so far (superb coverage/tackling skills). It's a nice upgrade from 3rd and Tory. However, Deltha is the key to this group.

2.) Oline play-Is Willie healthy enough to play all 16? Will Levi's knee hold up/can he repeat his performance in 2005? Will Stacy Andrews be an upgrade over Steinbach (I think so personally, Steiny's a good player but Stacy has much more potential)? Can Ghiachic make all the line calls like Richie used to make? Those questions need little explanation but if the line has problems, Carson won't be as deadly as usual (see last year...don't get me wrong Carson is a great great QB but his line always being in flux definately held a role in some of his struggles along with his knee)

3.) A third reciever needs to emerge. I hopeful that some combination of Tab Perry/Skylar Green/Glenn Holt/Reggie Kelly/Daniel Coats/Kenny Watson can catch a few balls each game to take some the pressure off of TJ/Chad. If a third viable reciever emerges, coupled with Chris Henry's reinstatement after week 8, the Bengals passing game could be virtually impossible to stop. However, if no one steps up I feel that the passing game will definately struggle until Chris Henry comes back

Overall, I'm excited/curious about the 2007-08 version of the Bengals...I'm really hopeful that they are able to take the next step to being a consistent playoff team. However, I really feel that if things don't work out like expected that we could have a new head coach in 2008. It's going to be an interesting football season to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I like that you are positive about most things but per usual with the Bengals alot of things need to break right for them to be a playoff team let alone a Super Bowl Contender. The way I see it 3 things need to happen in order for the Bengals to be a playoff team:

1.) Cornerback play-If Deltha Oneal returns to 2005 form, the group of Bengals corners could be scary good. I like Johnathan Joseph's ability to lock down teams 2nd/3rd reciever but if he could learn to catch INTs that gives you two ball hawking CBs along with Madieu (who I feel may have a huge year). Leon Hall is great depth if nothing else but I really like what I've seen so far (superb coverage/tackling skills). It's a nice upgrade from 3rd and Tory. However, Deltha is the key to this group.

2.) Oline play-Is Willie healthy enough to play all 16? Will Levi's knee hold up/can he repeat his performance in 2005? Will Stacy Andrews be an upgrade over Steinbach (I think so personally, Steiny's a good player but Stacy has much more potential)? Can Ghiachic make all the line calls like Richie used to make? Those questions need little explanation but if the line has problems, Carson won't be as deadly as usual (see last year...don't get me wrong Carson is a great great QB but his line always being in flux definately held a role in some of his struggles along with his knee)

3.) A third reciever needs to emerge. I hopeful that some combination of Tab Perry/Skylar Green/Glenn Holt/Reggie Kelly/Daniel Coats/Kenny Watson can catch a few balls each game to take some the pressure off of TJ/Chad. If a third viable reciever emerges, coupled with Chris Henry's reinstatement after week 8, the Bengals passing game could be virtually impossible to stop. However, if no one steps up I feel that the passing game will definately struggle until Chris Henry comes back

Overall, I'm excited/curious about the 2007-08 version of the Bengals...I'm really hopeful that they are able to take the next step to being a consistent playoff team. However, I really feel that if things don't work out like expected that we could have a new head coach in 2008. It's going to be an interesting football season to say the least.
    I've been hearing this a lot lately.

If Marvin ends up being let go as a result of the teams mediocrity the past two seasons, even considering the work he has done in restoring this team, who would want to come in and coach(even considering the attraction of Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson).

Not to mention Mike Brown if he has any say in the hire could bomb it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Marvin won't get fired unless this team is under .500.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

uoduck1017

Sports Illustrated picks the Bengals to win the division. I think a name to keep an eye on is Bennie Brazell. According to SI, a scout of an opposing team said, "I would love to see Marvin Lewis give Bennie Brazell 15 snaps a game as the fourth wideout. He's got surprisingly good hands for a track guy, and Carson Palmer is so accurate on deep throws." If Brazell could stretch out the defense, it could really offset the loss of Kenny Irons. Either way you slice it though, this year will be determined by the play of the defense.

Brazell was cut and has since been added to the practice squad.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Brazell was cut and has since been added to the practice squad.
    What!?! Looks like my sources aren't that credible.

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    What!?! Looks like my sources aren't that credible.
    Not necessarily. Brazell could always be added from the practice squad to the team at any time. He was hurt last year and that hurt his development. Maybe some time on the practice squad could make him ready by midseason.

Brazell is a blazer though. I liked him last year. Him dropping some passes made me a bit weary though.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?